1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First HD DVDs in September?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by indyjones, Mar 31, 2005.

1. indyjones

indyjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I read somewhere that the first HD DVDs (not sure about blue-ray, but I guess they don't want to lag behind) are due out in September in North America. Anybody know when the first HD discs are coming to Europe? I'm starting to think twice about buying any DVDs lately. I'd rather wait 6 more months and buy HD instead. I'm sure the quality difference will be quite noticeable.
    Also, do you think the audio channels will be compatible with today's audio receivers/speaker system, or do you think the new HD DVDs will use a different system?

Thanks....Indy :smashin:

2. Wayne Moule

Wayne Moule

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    As far as I know, there is no better home audio system that is currently out on current SD DVD's, being DD and DTS.

3. pdundas

pdundas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They actually quoted "holiday season" for US debut of players and some titles (September was for a PC drive) but both targets are looking a bit wobbly at the moment as the final copy protection details haven't yet been nailed down. No date for Europe has yet been mentioned. Blu-Ray have pretty much always said 2006.

The new discs will most likely use either Dolby Digital Plus, DTS HD or Lossless (at the studio's choice). Either of the DD or DTS formats are backwards compatible and will stream the necessary info to your decoder/amp just as DVD does now. To benefit from the new formats you''ll need new equipment (or a HD-DVD/Blu-Ray player which offer multi-channel analogue audio out).

4. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    You can add Dolby Digital Lossless (formerly MLP) to the audio specs for Blu-ray and HD DVD - which is nice! :smashin:

Steve