First Glimpse Of XBOX 2

Miyazaki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
vastly overated firgure i'm sure but never the less it will be an impressive peice of kit

Sony are claiming their PS3 will do 16 billion. I think that is over-rated. 1 Billion is achievable IMO.

Games Guru said:
Sony are claiming their PS3 will do 16 billion. I think that is over-rated. 1 Billion is achievable IMO.

haha, they said the PS2 would do 66 million Polys/sec, jokers

Sounds impressive - can't wait until this beast comes out. I do get a sense that this next generation of consoles could see a significant step forward in terms of technology, probably in a similar way to the 16 & 32 bit era's did.

Whilst the console should have hi-def ability I think that they will have to make it so that it's not just via HDMI or DVI connection. Far too many people still won't have Hi Def by then and of the ones that do a lot of them will still use an analogue based method of connectivity (such as Component video as is used now). I can't see XB2 limiting output to just those who are capable of displaying digital HD as if people need to go out & buy a £3k+ screen or a £1k+ projecter to use it, then it makes the console a rather expensive purchase.

Revolution is said have a few ways of connecting to a display, so I'd have thought XBox2 & PS3 would too, here's hoping for component connections all round :)

CrispyXUK said:
Revolution is said have a few ways of connecting to a display, so I'd have thought XBox2 & PS3 would too, here's hoping for component connections all round :)

with sony, i`d say 100% an optional extra, like a plug in adaptor of some sort, maybe MS will provide as standard. seems more and more info is being released everyday about this console

Hopefully they will have built in Digital & Analogue outputs like a video card. Digital connectivity would be good as I see myself getting a HDMI/DVI projector in the next year or two.

MS have asked developers to target 1280x720p resolution for games. They have also asked that content can be readily adapted for people that still use 4:3 TV's.

The trillions of ops numbers floating around are probably including all of the fixed hardware functions in the graphics chips of these new console.

The PS3 if it features 1 Cell processor at 4GHz will manage 256GFlops, not exactly 16 trillion eh?

Let's cut through the tech hype and hope the development tools are up to scratch because these multi core machines will be difficult to work with.

im sure those extra billions worth of calculations will really benefit Fifa 2006,2007,2008, ;)

The Next Gen Live interface is looking pretty good though

buzlightyear said:
im sure those extra billions worth of calculations will really benefit Fifa 2006,2007,2008, ;)

Well they might be able to produce a game that is vaguely like a game of football, but as for Pro Evo on a next-gen console, well.........NURSE!!!

Yes imagine a world of Pro Evo 6 on the X-Box - the perfect live system, no lag, online leagues & tourneys, graphics indistinguishable from real life, full and correct licenses & names, huge accurate sound files for chants etc. and an even more perfectly refined control system!

I reckon that we're looking at 2006 for that but it should be an amazing game! Konami will have ironed out most of the problems experienced with online play by PES5 and we should be in for a right treat when PES6 comes out!

Technical specs in the end are meaningles to everyone except developers. What I want to see is what Nintedo always deliver.
Immersive games that make me "forget" that im playing a game.

Lets hope that the quote of "not raw power but bruce lee" is true.
More focus on game play and detail, less focus on graphics.
I mean, cmon, most of the best selling games of the last 2 or 3 years have ALL been sequels that only offer nicer graphics, and an "extension" of the original game concept.
Look at GT4 on the PS2 as an excelent example of this.

AML said:
Immersive games that make me "forget" that im playing a game.

That's PES all over for me! I know what you are saying & agree with it to a large extent. I don't think that all sequels can be put into the same pot though. The game that I ALWAYS look forward to the most (since ISS Pro Evo Soccer on the PS1) is the next installment of PES! Each one has made substantial improvements over the last for me and IMO it's possibly the best game ever made.

Gameplay will always be king but the graphics in a game are often more than responsible for the immersiveness of the experience and the closer they get to reality the easier it is to forget that you are playing a game. Resident Evil 4 is a good example of this. Essentially it's just another romp about, shoot people & solve puzzles type of game, but the graphics are amazing in it and the world that the game is set in is just so believable! The graphics go a long way to making that game the experience that it is IMO.

No blue ray or HD DVD drive, just a standard DVD drive. DO people see this as a problem?? Should cut back on costs and make it come in at £200 or less.

As far as the outputs will go I think it will be 720p on all games and obviosuly the console will output this via component and HDMI/DVI, they would be mad not to support all three outputs.

Out in November, I'm buying one.

I feel November is a bit optimistic, but they do need to beat sony to market. Otherwise they will never capture it.
Im sure Sony will do some of their own unveiling at E3.

I feel Sony will loose a lot of ground in the next generation with the XBOX2, maybe a lot more when we see what Nintendo will come up with, roll on E3

Micro Transactions: Breaking down barriers of small-ticket online commerce, micro-transactions will allow developers and the gaming community to charge as little as they like for content they create and publish on the Marketplace. Imagine players slapping down $.99 to buy a one-of-a-kind, fully tricked-out racing car to be the envy of all their buddies.

Can anyone say keeeeeeerrrrrrrrching!

iamtheone said:
Can anyone say keeeeeeerrrrrrrrching!

Maybe but it does say the 'gaming community' can sell as well so you could sell your suped up racing car on the market place and make a bit of cash. Just wait till some big online multi player RPG's come out - forget trying to sell 'sword of light +99' on ebay sell it on the xbox 2 marketplace.

I would certainly not envy anyone who had to buy a car with real money so it looked like they were any good at the game. That would be S A D.

What I do like about the new interface though is

- the star rating for your feedback from those that play against you
- the achievements window, so you can see properly how good someone is at a game (hope they include offline achievements, like iamtheone could have a Platinum challenge completed sticker!)
- a cumulative points total for all games
- compulsory in-game soundtracks and Live awareness for ALL titles
- hi-def (hope HDMI is included - I've needed to use that input on my plasma for something!).

indeed - it's pathetic when people actually pay for gaming items with real world money! Surely the point of the games are to PLAY them, or am I missing something??

The interface looks great though! :thumbsup: It looks like this will be one hell of an online community. Live 1 was good but I guess it was just the prototype!

Oh, and did you notice that the first user interface symbol thing that came up was a picture of a joypad and a low battery alert? A hint at wireless joypads as standard? :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom