First Gaming Pc....Dell XPS 420

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by meath man, Jan 9, 2008.

1. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi guys, im a gaming pc virgin so to speak so keep the technical references to the minimum. Basically i have no interest in building my own pc and i am quite happy to buy a fully bulit system from Dell - im hoping some of the experts can run their eye over the specs:

Components :

PROCESSOR Premium Chassis - Intel® 2 Quad-Core™ Processor Q6600 (2.40GHz, 1066MHz, 8MB cache) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium - English edit
    HARDWARE SUPPORT Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support) edit
    MONITOR Monitor Not included edit
    MEMORY 3072MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2x1024/2x512] edit
    HARD DRIVE 1TB Dual Hard Drive Raid 0 Stripe (2x500GB - 7200rpm) edit
    GRAPHICS CARD SINGLE 768MB nVidia® GeForce® 8800 GTX graphics card edit
    TV TUNER & MULTIMEDIA ACCELERATORS TV Tuner and AVIO / Accellerator edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE 4x Blu-Ray Disc Drive edit
    KEYBOARD Dell™ Enhanced USB Multimedia Keyboard - UK/Irish (QWERTY) edit
    MOUSE Dell Optical Scroll Premium Mouse edit

Accessories :

SOUND SOFTWARE Sound Blaster® X-Fi Xtreme Gamer PCI Soundcard edit
    SPEAKERS Dell™ A525 Speakers with Subwoofer edit
    FLOPPY/MEDIA DRIVES 19-in-1 Bluetooth Media Card Reader edit
    MODEMS No Modem edit
    MICROSOFT SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 8.0 - English edit
    WIRELESS NETWORKING Internal 802.11b/g Wireless PCI Card edit

Services & Software :

ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE SUPPORT No Accidental Damage Support edit
    SECURITY SOFTWARE No Security/Anti-Virus Protection - English edit

Also included with your system :

Shipping Documents XPS 420 English Documentation with UK/Irish Power Cord
    Gedis Bundle Reference D01X406
    Adobe Reader Adobe Elements Studio Software (incl Photoshop, Premiere and Soundbooth)
    Order Information XPS Desktop Order - Ireland
    Standard Warranty Base Warranty - 1 Year XPS Premium Hardware Support (incl. Gaming and On-Site Support)
    Dell System Media Kit XPS 420 Resource DVD

http://configure.euro.dell.com/dell...kc=DRS42004&l=en&oc=D01X406&rbc=D01X406&s=dhs

Total € 1,549.13 including vat

I currently have a decent Dell Dimension c521 which is great for everything except gaming. I have a Dell 2407 monitor which is also great.

Few questions:

1. with the above spec, will i be able to play games lile crysis at high settings?

2. ive never used vista - i know there were a lot of complaints about it when it was first released - have microsoft fixed these problems yet?

3. their is a blu ray drive on the system - can someone briefly explain the merits of this....? i presume i can buy blank blu ray discs and burn large amounts of data onto it? - secondly, could i buy/rent blu ray films etc and watch them on my dell 2407, what would the quality be like?

any other advice would be appreciated...

2. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    for what you're getting, £1150 is quite a lot. The CPU can be had for around £140, GPU for £300. Vista for £65. Sound card £50. The RAM is 667Mhz which isn't blazingly fast, and the mobo will be nothing special.

you will play crysis on high settings (there are no current games which are "like" crysis, it is in a league of its own at the moment)

The blu-ray drive will allow you to watch blu-ray films, but not burn your own stuff onto blank BR media. Quality will be cracking, however you will need to ensure your current monitor is HDCP enabled

Never used Vista, still on XP so can't comment on that

3. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,923
    I don't know what the speakers are costing you, but I'd think you can probably get better from Creative or Logitech etc for similar money.
    The Dells are pathetic IMO :thumbsdow

4. stonkmeister

stonkmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to let you guys know that I've been looking into getting this system myself recently and I've "chatted" to their sales advisors online who advise me that the Blu-ray drive that comes with this configuration will write to Blu-ray media as well as DVD and CD and as such it comes with just the one optical drive however it will come with dual optical drives (the second one being just a DVD rom) if you select the second option for the extra £20 despite the fact that the website states that this system only supports a maximum of one optical device.

5. Zarch

Zarch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +833
    Maybe thats why its expensive, BR writers are anything between £280 to £500 aren't they depending on the speed?

6. insomniak123

insomniak123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +370
    yep they're not cheap. didn't factor this in in my earlier post

all the spec says is a 4x Blu-Ray disc drive. I'd think it would explicitly state that its a burner, but if the sales rep told you otherwise then you decide...

either way, do you really need to spend £10 on each 25Gb disc to back stuff up on, or can you save £400 and do without?

7. robfosters

robfosters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    If I was buying a gaming PC now, I would hold off for a little bit until the 780i motherboard is used by companies. It is one of the best gaming motherboards, supports super fast 1200mhz RAM and is the only motherboard to support tri-Sli. That means having 3 matching graphics cards working side by side.

I would get the motherboard and a Nvidia 8800GTS 512mb (the new G92 chip used in the 512 version, is more value for money than the GTX). That will do you nicely for a while and then when Nvidia finally release the mythical D9E series cards, then you can chop in for a couple or 3 of them and your machine would be an absolute monster.

For the money, I dont really rate Dells. Too many bad experiences with them.

Although it may sound likei'm doing a self build. It's not, you can always customise with manufacturers.

8. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,230
    ...the only trouble is that SLi in either flavour (ATI or GeForce) is troublesome and not being used to its full capabilities at the mo, let alone tri-SLi! :devil:

Back to the original question, its a nice spec, but I am one of those in the 'not to keen on Dell' camps. I build my own, and therefore know my components, and its potential upgrade path, but I am aware that not everyone can do that.

Have you tried companies such as Mesh and checked a simalar spec'd PC?

9. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    thanks for the replys, to answer some of the questions/points:

1. im not 100% sure about the blu ray drive on the pc, however it would be a bit disappointing it it didnt write

2. Dont care about the speakers, they come with it free so ill probobly flog them with my old pc if i sell it

3. ive had fairly good experiences with dell - most other companies only supply the UK, so Dell are great here in Ireland

10. vipstarr

vipstarr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    this is better and faster for around the same money.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-051-OK&groupid=43&catid=967&subcat=

- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 GO 2.40GHz Quad Core CPU Overclocked too a minimum of 3.30GHz and beyond. (8/9 x 400MHz - 1600MHz FSB)
    - Tuniq Tower 120 Pro Blue LED Intel approved cooler
    - Arctic Silver 5 Heatsink compound professionally hand installed by our technicians
    - Abit IP35-Pro Intel P35 (Socket LGA775) PCI-Express DDR2 Motherboard
    - Award winning Crucial 2GB Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500 CAS5 (2x1GB) Dual Channel Kit (Overclocked at 1000MHz+) (Note when upgrading to 4GB overclock drops to 3.25GHz on CPU)
    - 2x 150GB RaptorX Western Digital 16MB Cache SATA-2 Hard Drives (Configured in RAID 0 and main boot drive)
    - 500GB Seagate 32MB Cache SATA-2 Hard Drive (Configured as Slave Drive)
    - NVIDIA 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) DirectX 10 Graphics Card
    - Pioneer Blu-Ray BDC-202BK 5x BD-ROM + 12x12 DVD±RW Serial ATA Dual Layer ReWriter - (Black)
    - Antec NINE HUNDRED Gamers ATX Case
    - OCZ 1010W Next Generation Power Supply

11. meath man

meath man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    ??? the pc is listed above is 1550 euro, the you linked costs 1526 sterling... massive difference