First game you remember playing?

outoftheknow

I said Sonic on Game Gear earlier - forgot playing a moon lander game in 1978 on a computer the school bought from a university. Actual processing was in a air conditioned room with mag tape storage in another room where the user interface was. Ticker tape was the go for games - lines of holes in ticker tape to be more precise. You streamed the tape through the reader which took a long time, then got one go to land the lander on the moon. How you did was irrelevant- to have another go you had to load the game again with the ticker tape.

Thank goodness PCs and games consoles weren’t far away! :rotfl:

Lloydy92

Tomb Raider 2 on the PlayStation around Xmas 1997. Might’ve played a gameboy prior to that but can’t remembe.

Apsilon

Senior Moderator
Pong tennis back in the 70s. My dad got it for me and my sister and we thought it was amazing.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member

Timh129

Anything on Binatone - black and white as well. God I feel old . Best early game on Atari Missile Command .

terencejames

I suppose it would have been something like Space Invaders either in the arcade or on the Atari 2600. I remember my Dad becoming so enraged that I was inside playing the Atari on a sunny, summers day that he actually took an extension cable and an old black and white telly and hooked it all up outside. I obviously couldn't see a bloody thing so I ended up going to the corner shop that had an Asteroids arcade cabinet with a handful of 10ps I nicked out of his coin jar.

Last edited:

sanj

Catacombs on the zx81, 1981!
1634588699567.jpeg

cottonpickers

I had that exact binatone machine!
Then a zx81 - 3D monster maze! Programming various games out of a magazine. The dreaded ‘Syntax Error’ then on to a spectrum - hours trying to escape in the barrel in the Hobbit and Weeks playing manic miner. Even now I can hear that dreaded tune. Ant attack ; horace; atic attac etc. Wow. Various adventure games; Elite with that stupid anti pirate lens you had to use….Those were the days

sanj

I had that exact binatone machine!
Then a zx81 - 3D monster maze! Programming various games out of a magazine. The dreaded ‘Syntax Error’ then on to a spectrum - hours trying to escape in the barrel in the Hobbit and Weeks playing manic miner. Even now I can hear that dreaded tune. Ant attack ; horace; atic attac etc. Wow. Various adventure games; Elite with that stupid anti pirate lens you had to use….Those were the days
Those were exactly the same games I used to play too! hated that elite lens too

low-def.

I had a handful of games for the Sega Master System on release back in 1987, but I think the first game I played on it was an Alex Kidd.

FevreDream

Would have been something on the Amstrad CPC464 in the mid 80's, the first "gaming device" I ever owned. Can't remember the very first game I played on it but I remember playing the likes of Altered Beast, Boulder Dash and Bubble Bobble. Games on cassette that took ages to load and regularly failed at some point before you could even play them! Kids don't know they're born these days. :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 29597

Commander Keen on DOS PC. Probably late 80s early 90s. That was a lot of fun.
Then Sonic the Hedgehog on Sega Mega drive (early 90s?); I remember recording it one time onto VHS, the whole thing in about 40 minutes.

nobbyclark

Pong, on a French campsite in 1975. First home experience was the same as the Binatone in post 17. And some decades later, I'm still playing, currently revisiting GTA IV on the PS3.
Still have my Vic, C64, Plus/4, a Wii, PS2, 2 PS3s and a PS4.

jumpman 1972

The first game i ever played was Metroid Dread on the Nintendo Switch.

No, seriously the first game i played was a Space Invaders arcade cabinet in a second hand shop in maybe late 1980. To say this game had an impact on me is an understatement - the art on the cabinet, the sounds and even the graphics blew me away - but what was burned into my mind must of all was the sheer interactivity of the experience - i pushed left on the joystick and my ship moved left, i pressed the button that said fire and the shift fired a bullet.

This wasn't a passive form of entertainment like television but something different and new and it blew me away and it's fair to say since that day i have loved games and still do.

Ste7en

Distinguished Member
Space Invaders (arcade), Pong (Atari 2600), dabbled with various Speccys then ended up with a 128k, without a tape counter, too busy buying replacement Kempston Joysticks because of Daley Thompson's Olympic Challenge :)

Ikari Warriors was around the start of when I became hooked.

After that, most of the consoles.

HCK

It was either grand prix or formula 1 on the ZX spectrum :)

AMc

Distinguished Member
Space Invaders at the swimming baths on a Sunday morning.
Then Space Invaders on an Atari at the nextdoor neighbours house while my Mum had coffee (they were well posh!)
We got a TV Game a couple of years later with several versions of Pong.
My brother got a ZX81 and I remember playing 3D Monster Maze "You hear footsteps approaching..."

doubledragonxx

Space Invaders (arcade), Pong (Atari 2600), dabbled with various Speccys then ended up with a 128k, without a tape counter, too busy buying replacement Kempston Joysticks because of Daley Thompson's Olympic Challenge :)

Ikari Warriors was around the start of when I became hooked.

After that, most of the consoles.
LOL Daley Thompson now that brings back memories.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

LG UltraGear Gaming Monitors get VESA certification
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG announces new CineBeam HU915QE 4K laser projector
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast | Maverick IMAX Review, 4K Disc News and More
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts