1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First (ever) system :D

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Baggimodo, May 30, 2003.

1. Baggimodo

Baggimodo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all,

I am about to embark on what could be the greatest purchase of my, as yet short but highly distinguished shopping life- I am about to by first hi-fi!

As my old man always tells me, theres no point buying crappy all-in-one style systems- so i am after a decent budget seperates system. I only listen to CDs, and have a budget of 300 quid. I would like an amp, CD player and some bookshelf speakers (its only for my room so doesnt need to be overly extravagent)

The Yamaha AX396 amp has caught my eye, as has the Cambridge A5 but from what i can find out doesnt have a headphone jack so is not really viable, which sways me toward the Yamaha.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Baggimodo*

2. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    Looking at Richer Sounds ... take a look at Marantz PM6010OSE amp (£120), a Sony CDPXE570 (£80) then for speakers you have a few choices ... but I'd look at Mission 771e (another £80). Add £20 for a Pacific cable between then amp and CD player, another £10 for a few meters of Gale XL189 speaker cable and if suitable £30 for a pair of stands.

If you want to save a few quid ... also look at the KEF Cresta 2 and Mission 700 speakers ... but the 771e are worth the little extra.

Vikki

3. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Give the KEF Cresta's good consideration - nothing can touch them for the modest price in RS.

4. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Have a look at the new What HiFi when it comes out next week. It's worth a read if you're new to hi-fi (although not everyone agrees with their reviews). But more importantly if you look at the Richer Sounds advert it will have exclusive offers. They usually also have a system deal which starts at about £150 and then you can upgrade the individual components. As alreadt mentioned budget for decent cables and when you go into the shop take everything they say with a pinch of salt as they promote their 'house' brands (Cambridge, Ariston, Sherwood and Eltax) which don't always sound that great.

5. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    Even some of the 'house' brands as you put it, sound good. Its just a case of finding the good stuff amongst the crap ;)

6. Crocodile JD

Crocodile JD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Baggimodo

I might be persuaded to sell my Yamaha CDX496 CD player if you were interested. It visually matches the Yamaha Amp that you mention and it has a headphone socket with its own output (volume) control as well so you could consider the A5 also. It also has optical digital out. It is immaculate with all original bits and packaging. I'd want £50 + P&P and I think rules dictate that I would have to advertise it in the classifieds, not sure? Original RRP was around £180.

Anyway let me know if interested.

Crocodile JD

7. Bassbin

Bassbin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    I agree I've got several products made by them but for someone new to it working out exactly which Eltax etc. to buy with salesman doing his best to sell whatever he's go in stock is not easy. From memory the Eltax Monitor 3 Standmounters and the Liberty 5.1 floorstanders both good reviews.;)

8. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    actually I believe they are referring to the Cambridge Audio A5 stereo integrated amp.

9. Baggimodo

Baggimodo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, went down to Richersounds in Coventry (thats where I am from) and instantly fell head over heels in love with the A5. Something about that single blue LED.....

had a word with the manager, and I got the following:

Silver Cambridge Audio A5
    Technics SLPG4
    Eltax Symphony 4.3 Bookshelfs

all for 239.95 (already had some mad Sony interconnects, and some Gale speaker wire left over from my dads install :p )

If I were to buy it all seperately, it would have cost a whopping £360, but with a bit of persuasion, I think I have done alright!

Got it home, set it up and was a bit miffed with the lack of bass, but then put one speaker 'out of phase' (is that the right term?) and was totally blown away with it! I am majorly happy :D

Thanks for the advice all!

Baggy*

10. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You put one speaker out of phase :/ assuming you mean you wired it the opposite way around? if the speaker has been internally wired out of phase (which is not unknown just very rare) I should take them back and ask for a pair that arn't. But wiring a speaker out of phase isn't going to suddenly change the sound in such a fasion that it will "blow you away" at least I don't think so, perhaps someone with a little more knowledge on the matter can enlighten you more than I.

Incidentally I go to Coventry Uni, drop in at Richers in Cov every now and again to see what outrageous offers they have on :)

11. Baggimodo

Baggimodo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nutty,

I followed the instructions as in the speaker manual, it said:

"If however, you have any doubt as to the phasing of the loudspeakers, try reversing the connections to one of the speakers and play a recording that has plenty of of deep bass operating both loudspeakers...the correct polarity is indicated by firm, full bass, when incorrect, the bass will be noticeably much weaker."

this was the result after i switched them round- can that damage any of my equipment?

Ta

Baggy*

12. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds (no pun intended) about right I guess, if it's working for you then stick with it. I just find it almost unbelivable that a manufacturer would write such a thing into their manual as if expecting the speaker to be out of phase. Out of phase speakers can offten display poor stereo imaging, timing and sound abit washed out.

13. Baggimodo

Baggimodo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    with them wired as they were intended (pos to pos, neg to neg) with each bass note, the cone 'wobbled' uncontrollably rather than punching, if you can understand the analogy!

Thanks for the info anyhoo Nutty,

Baggy*

(P.S How do you like Cov? Where you from originally?)

14. Nutty

Nutty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yea I know what you mean.

Coventry is pretty good, I am preparing to start a new course next year as I really don't enjoy the one I am on now. I am from a small village not far from Bromsgrove, called Rubery dunno if you know it or not, exactly 32 miles from Coventry city center via the M42 :) (yes I measured it) anyway I don't want to take the thread of topic so I'll shut up now.