First Efforts with Canon 350D

Hi Peter,

I like dead wood, the lightning conductor and the footpath post. All nice clear sharp images (though the footpath post one looks a tad oversaturated at the edges of the post on second viewing).

Usually, people put an "image" link to their pics so they display in the thread. That way more people look at them. It's just soooo hard to click on another link to take you to Flickr :D

Good stuff though, looking forward to seeing more...

I'm pretty impressed you got close to the blackbird nest to take one of your shots. Pretty nice shot. I also like the footpath shot too - nice colours in that one.

Those show a lot of potential, nice and crisp, good to see you experimenting with aparture too. You do realise you already have a zoom lens? Do you mean a telephoto zoom?

Thanks Brammers. Yes, I do mean telephoto zoom. :oops: I'm looking at the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 apo dg macro. I could afford better but can't really justify spending lots. Hoping to get one sub £100 off "internet auction site". I quite like the 18-55mm lens bundled with the camera though. I think it's much better than the reviews suggested.

Regards.

Thanks Brammers. Yes, I do mean telephoto zoom. :oops: I'm looking at the Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 apo dg macro. I could afford better but can't really justify spending lots. Hoping to get one sub £100 off "internet auction site". I quite like the 18-55mm lens bundled with the camera though. I think it's much better than the reviews suggested.

Regards.

If you could afford better, then get the Canon with IS. Unless you do a lot of Zoom with a tripod, the f4 on the Sigma will mean you cannot get many shots sharp at the long end without it
The IS will give you more leeway. If your use is only occasional then the Sigma is more than enough, if not it wont be long before you start thinking to " upgrade"
If your need for a Zoom is limited, get the Sigma and then change the kit lens after a while....
Usable??.. Yes...:rolleyes:
Can you get better images with a better lens?? Most definitely:smashin:

TBH Senu, I disagree with that. 70-300 lenses are cheap - they're kit lenses themselves. Sure, just like the wider kit lens, they produce good images given the opportunity, but I wouldn't spend much on one of these. Use it to learn with, see if you like telephoto, then spend your money on something really good.

I only spent £100 on my 70-300 - about right for the amount I use it. I will not mention here the fact that I have a stabilised Sigma 70-300, oh-no-I-won't... ;)

Brammers said:
TBH Senu, I disagree with that. 70-300 lenses are cheap - they're kit lenses themselves. Sure, just like the wider kit lens, they produce good images given the opportunity, but I wouldn't spend much on one of these. Use it to learn with, see if you like telephoto, then spend your money on something really good.

I only spent £100 on my 70-300 - about right for the amount I use it. I will not mention here the fact that I have a stabilised Sigma 70-300, oh-no-I-won't... ;)

I see your point.

However I did suggest in the same post that he stick to the Sigma if his need for Zoom was limited and then replace the more often used kit lens for better.

I have the Sigma 70-300 DG APO for use with a 350 and 30D.It cost me more than £100:)
While it ( and the wide 12-24 Tokina) get far less use than the 17-85 USM IS walkabout , Ive lost count of how many times I wished I could use it handheld and take advantage of IS.
However ,sometimes the words " buy cheap buy twice" spring to mind...but Im keeping it for now:rolleyes: as I like it for portraits ( although the 50mm 1.4 is equally great for that) ..and I cant "see" the moon without it
Unlike the wide angle Tokina (cost at least £80-120 less than the Canon and Sigma equivalent ) which gives me great WA (when I use it) , I wouldn't have minded saving up a bit for the Canon 70-300 with IS over the Sigma

The OP did say he could afford but not justify costlier and my post was to perhaps say that the extra cost of IS on a Tele Zoom may be worth it

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom