First efforts on Nikon D80 - any advice/comments?

JoeMoomin

Hey folks,

Fired up my first DSLR today - a lovely Nikon D80. I spent some of the day trying to familiarize myself with the settings etc and headed off to take a few photos.
I have mainly been trying to conquer low light photos at a gig tonight but I couldn't seem to conquer the blur effect.
I wasn't using a tripod but the lens has VR.

So if you pros could cast your eyes over these couple of shots and offer any advice, criticism or anything else please do!

Really enjoying it so far anyway :thumbs:

DSC_3984.jpg

DSC_4070.jpg

The lights were pretty bright in this 'venue' so getting that club lighting I found quite difficult - as you can see, didn't manage it!

DSC_4087.jpg

DSC_4093.jpg

Just some night time shooting at the clock tower, image doesn't feel very deep and appears under exposed.

B

Boynielaad

Can't see from the exif what ISO setting you had in the club. Set higher will allow a faster shutter speed and reduce the blur but you will get grainy shots (noise) as the penalty.

With the night-time shot you need to expose for longer (1 sec or more?) and will therefore need a tripod or to set the camera on a wall to avoid shake.

The best advice though is to try again with lots of different settings. Sooner or later you'll get what you want.

johnaalex

Distinguished Member
I wasn't using a tripod but the lens has VR.

Remember VR will only help reduce the effect of camera shake, it will not do anything to remove the blur caused by the subject moving during the time the shutter is open.

dazza74

Distinguished Member
Essentially there's two ways to increase shutter speed as has been already posted select a higher ISO setting I think you should be okay upto 800 on the D80, 1600 at the extreme have a look into "ISO Auto" in the manual this is quite a useful feature on the Nikon's. You'll also increase shutter speed by select a wider aperture (smaller F Number). If none of this works your looking at using flash or getting a new faster lens, the way I look at lenses is the smaller the F Number or an F Number of a fixed figure stated the more it tends to cost.

Look at the historgram as well if it's all bunched to the left it's under exposed, all to the right over exposed. I may get contradicted a bit here but I believe you ideally want most of the tones just left of centre.

psenior1

personally I don't normally go above iso400 on my D80, though 800 isn't too noisy... What lens were you using to take these? I've never tried taking pics at a gig but would imagine you'd need some fast glass to get good results...

SomeVorn

Went to photograph a gig a few weeks bag - sigma 30mm 1.4 in hand - didn't get a keeper unless I strayed into ISO 1000+ territory. Defo an argument for a full frame high ISO-capable sensor area IMO.

JoeMoomin

My set up is a Nikon D80 with an 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AF-S VR DX Nikkor lens. I know it's a pretty amateur set up but alot of the reviews I read seem to say it performs quite well in most conditions.

For the gig shots I was using 3200ISO and f3.5. I was trying alot of different settings as some trial and error.
I was going to try the night shot again tonight. Any suggested settings that I can start with then experiment from there?

Thanks for all the comments and advice so far folks! :smashin:

dazza74

Distinguished Member
I'd invest in the Nikkor 50 1.8 lens can be had for about £70, this is the cheapest way to get a lens that will work in low light. Unfortunately as had been suggested getting good quality pics like this is an expensive game your looking at full frame really a Nikon D700 / D3 camera to give you this.

psenior1

I'd invest in the Nikkor 50 1.8 lens can be had for about £70, this is the cheapest way to get a lens that will work in low light. Unfortunately as had been suggested getting good quality pics like this is an expensive game your looking at full frame really a Nikon D700 / D3 camera to give you this.

if you can find one, in pretty short supply at the moment... For static night shots it might be worth having a go with a tripod...

JoeMoomin

I did use a tripod for the last night shot. It was far more stable etc but I will give it a go with a higher exposure.

dazza74

Distinguished Member
if you can find one, in pretty short supply at the moment... For static night shots it might be worth having a go with a tripod...

I think my pricings a bit out of touch as well, they look to be going for about £90 now

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom