First DVD recorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by jazzytay, Aug 16, 2004.

1. jazzytay

jazzytay
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Im about to purchase my first DVD recorder and am looking for some advice on which one to go for. I have SKY+ but would still like a hard drive type as I think it would be easier to record Camcorder stuff on to edit before recording to DVD. Normally when I buy stuff like this I just get the most expensive but I want a decent enough reciever as well as speakers, so Im trying to be a bit "sensible". Ive seen the Panasonic DMR-HS2 for £350. And I also like the look of the Panasonic E85.

Thanx Jazzytay

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Very wise choice - Sky+ is ideal for timeshifting whereas a HDD/DVDR is ideal for making editted recordings that will play back on any DVD player.

The Panasonic HS2 is still an excellent DVD recorder - but the current models are what you should look at now. The Toshiba RDXS32 is probably the all-round best option at the moment as it has excellent authoring facilities coupled with extensive features. It's only around £400 - excellent value IMHO.

The Panasonic range (the E85 and E95) also present good value with excellent features and the best MPEG encoders by far (Panasonic can manage upto 3hrs of recording in full resolution as opposed to Pioneer and Toshiba's 2hr 20mins).

The Pioneer range (the 420, the 520 and the 720) are good machines but are effectively a generation behind the Panasonics and lack the features found on the same price Toshiba model.

3. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am still wondering why people favor the Panasonic range over Pioneer even if I think I have read every single post in this forum (ok - maybe I´ve missed one or two :) ).

I´ve had trouble to choose between the Panasonic DMR-E85 and the Pioneer DVR-520, mainly because the E85 has component out with progressive scan, and at some point I´d like a plasma tv.

But - since I´ll probably wait a while with the plasma anyway, and thus probably end up with hdmi - I´ve decided on the Pioneer 520. Besides - if you value PQ that much, a dedicated player is probably better anyway.

Also the Panasonic can record in full resolution up to 3 hours, where the Pioneers can only do 2h20, but I think this is probably the most you should copy to a disc anyway.

Otherwise seem to have missed something - in my opinion the E85 is far behind featurewise:

- No DV in/out (yes, I know the top of the range E95 has it)
    - No jpeg/vcd/svcd (on cd) compability (why? it´s virtually impossible to buy a standalone-player without jpeg-compability no matter how cheap it is - and Panasonics dvd-players can do it too)
    - No compatible discs (only ram - yes I know they are grrreat, but you marry Panasonic if you want to use them elsewhere in the house/on the laptop/in the car...)
    - VCR-timer
    - No highspeed 16:9 dubbing (only in realtime)
    - Disc backup function
    - Slow menus compared to Pioneer (I´ve heard)
    - Grouping of recordings on HDD (nice-to-have)
    - Disc history (nice-to-have)
    - More dvd-menu options (nice-to-have)

I am still waiting for my Pioneer, and if anybody can point out why the Panasonic is better I´d really like to hear it (not sarcastically meant), because the dealer will probably be happier to sell me a Panasonic as Pioneer is not in his normal range, and I would really be p***** off, if I after delivery discover a show-stopper...

So, hit me :)

PS: The Toshiba XS32 in not an option for me, so you don´t have to point out it´s many advantages (it´s not sold where I live, and I´d like to shop 'locally')

Regards,
    Mike72

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    A number of reasons:

1) Proven track record
    The 5100 had 'issues' (e.g. refusal of Pioneer to provide an update for 4x DVD-RW media and composite input quality) whereas Panasonic are held in reasonable esteem online.

2) Picture Quality
    If your bothered about PQ 90mins is the maximum you should do on a disk. The fact is the MPEG encoder on the Panasonic series is a generation ahead of that on the Pioneer/Toshiba hence you can see a (fractional) improvement over those models when compared equally. Obviously if recording a show over 2hr 20mins or under 3hr the difference is going to be substantial. Thus if PQ is the be all and end all then go for a Panny. If you willing suffer a (slight) hit in PQ then go for the Toshiba/Pioneer. Between those two though the Toshiba has the edge as it has more features.

3) User Interface
    More subjective but the Panasonic range is generally held to be more user friendly. Without a doubt the Panasonic interface is (almost) idiot proof. From my own experience around 80% of the PMs/E-mails I get deal with setup/user issues relating to non-Panasonic machines yet Panasonic owners almost certainly dominant the forum.

4) Progressive Scan/Component/DVD-Audio
    Features above and beyond what the Pioneer range bring.

Well that's not quite correct - the Panasonic range record to DVD-R which is THE most compatible DVD media. DVD-RW support is a key benefit to the Pioneers but you still have to chose between VR or Video whether you have a Panasonic or Pioneer model. If you want DVD-RW (Video) then you wouldn't traditionally buy a Panasonic anyway - and currently the Toshiba presents a better value/specced option. Certainly most HDD/DVDR users end up using DVD-R - with disks from 50p each that really isn't a big issue.

The Pioneer range consist of some very good DVD recorders - don't get me wrong - but they are yet to match the value of the Panasonic/Toshiba range. The Pioneer 920 may re-dress the balance - at least for those with HDMI inputs.

Appreciate that Mike - although the Toshiba is available in Germany - but I assume jazzytay (whose thread this is) is within the UK so I have to mention the Toshiba.

5. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rasczak

1) The 520 supports 4x dvd-rw (and 8x dvd-r), but I agree on the 5100 update. But I´m surprised that the rw-competionion (JVC & Toshiba) ships brand-new recorders that are not rw-version 1.2 compatible.

2) I´ve also heard about the 90 minute mark before, but I´ll not split a 2 hour movie in two (if the movie´s that great, I´ll buy the original dvd instead).

Regarding PQ I doubt it´s visible if you don´t line them up. But, of course this is a pretty important factor!

3) A big part of user friendliness is getting to know the equipment IMHO - and since I´ve only got to connect it to a tv and cable (no surround, no satellite-receiver, no vcr), I think I can handle the setup-part :)

4) I´ve hardly heard about dvd-audio, and my tv only does scart.

5) Discs: Point taken. I meant rewriteable compatible discs. I have no intention whatsoever to use vr-mode on a hdd-recorder. I know at the cost of dvd-r´s I´ll probably end up giving the discs away...

Thank you for an argumentative and informative reply! I´m not lookin´ for a fight, merely trying to make sure that I´ve made the right decision, which I am now (almost anyway :) )

Regards,
    Mike72

6. mike72

mike72
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If the Pioneer doesn´t meet my expectations I'll take the chance and import a Toshiba from Germany. The prices there are somewhat lower too, which make up for some of the risk/hassle.

7. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Neither am I - the Pioneer range are excellent DVD recorders and I'm sure you'll be extremely happy with it.

8. phelings

phelings
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And Pioneer also have the useful "disc backup" not found on any other range.This allows PC style replication of a dvd completely including menus and chapters.Or has the new Panny range allowed a finalised dvd-r to be copied to HDD?

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,278
    Apparently so - although I haven't tried this for myself.

10. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Don't forget that the analogue tuner for a german machine will not work correctly in the uk.