1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First DVD Player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by wakko, Dec 19, 2003.

1. wakko

wakko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've been asked by a friend to recommend a dvd player at around the £50 - £80 range. Bearing in mind that it needs to be MR, RCE compatible, DVD-R compatible and good for at least one or two bouts of upgradeitis I'm leaning towards the Tosh 330. It's only (at the moment) being fed into a standard W/S TV, but there are plans to invest in seperates. No need for progressive.

Has anyone any other suggestions...I realise that this is at the lower end of the scale as far as these forums go, but from small acorns huge oak trees grow...blah blah blah

any help would be appreciated,

Graham

2. chris

chris

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    i brought my kids a pioneer 360s each for crimbo......
    Gave them a try before the misses wrapped them and must say they are a very good machine.
    They may be at the (what you call) bottom end of the scale, but for the price (£68.95 from RS, MR) i was more than impressed with the PQ....it was equal to the PQ of my 656 and that cost me about 4 times as much.....plus the 360 had more features than the 656.

3. hollie.weimeran

hollie.weimeran

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic S35 is good - lot better looking than the Tosh (in my opinion) and slimmer. It also plays vcd, svcd etc etc and hasn't failed to play any backups I've thrown at it - Yet!

Available MR for approx £90

(Also plays DVD RAM if you have a m8 thats got a panny recorder it could be useful):smashin:

4. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,115
    Don't underestimate budget :D 330 is a great machine, with excellent performance at a great price ;)

5. wakko

wakko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the swift replies, I'll add the pioneer and the S35 to the tosh, though I think he wont go as high as £90 but who knows. Playback of backup disks is important and I know that the Tosh plays DVD-R faultlessly, and I have to admit to an admiration of toshiba DVD Players that harks back over 3 incarnations until I defected to the Pioneer 656A.

Anyway, thanks again for the swift replies...much appreciated,

graham

6. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    I had a Toshiba 330 and while it did initially play dvd-r backups faultlessly after about 2 months it stopped reading some of them and the drive became more noisy. I returned it for a refund. Its a lovely player with a lovely picture but I'm not convinced the dvd loader is very good and there are minor annoyances with the firmware like rce compatibility and svcds losing sync. Also back along there was talk of them skipping frames but I never experienced this myself. Of the three mentioned I think the Toshiba has the best picture, then the panasonic and then the pioneer. If your talking audio quality (analogue) I think the order is Toshiba, Pioneer then Panasonic. Although to its credit the Panasonic will play DVD Audio discs but only with 2 channel output. Basically it doesn't have 5.1 outputs so it has to downmix to 2 channel.

I must admit I like the Panasonic image (assuming its the same as the S75, which i'm told it is). A lovely clean image.