1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

first dvd burner purchase,help needed please

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by SILVERBACK, Jan 4, 2004.

1. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    need a bit of advice so i hope this is the best section of the forum for it,basically im looking at getting a dvd burner and would like to know the pitfalls etc,i have narrowed it down to 2 burners a pioneer 106 and a nec ND-1300 these seem to be the best at the inute.please feel free to tell me if these choices of dvd burner are bad as id rather know now then after i have bought it lol.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    I've just got the Pioneer writer and picked this one because everywhere I looked it got the best reviews. It was even given the DVD writer of 2003 award by Computer Video mag.
    I would suggest that you get the OEM version of the drive and then get the software of your choice as bundled software is often very basic and outgrown by the user very quickly. I got the OEM version from Dabs.com for a little under £80.

Mark.

3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    cheers mark what software would you recommend nero6 or stomp ? you ever had probs burning etc.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,425
    You need more than just Nero. Nero will only burn a DVD compatable file to the disk, you need to encode the file first and this can not be fully done with Nero.
    I would recommend (as it is the prog I have) Ulead DVD Moviefactory 2. This does everything from capture of footage to editing, creating chapters & menus and burning a final disk. It is also very easy to use.

Mark.

5. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    cheers for your time,i`m doing my homework right now lol.

6. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +302
    A chap at work has the NEC 1300, and it seems poor in comparison to the 106. It's appears to be choosy regarding media,ie some media it won't recognise and others it will only burn at half the rated speed.
    If your looking at the 106,make sure you get the 'D' version.

7. dr_mabuse

dr_mabuse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Hi Silverback
    I would advise that you check compatability with your set top player (assuming you want to view these burned discs on it). If your machine is happy with the "+" format discs, I'd recommend the Plextor 708A - it'll burn to certain 4X media at 8X - eight and a half minutes and it's done!. If not it'll still do 4X on "+" or "-" which is pretty fast anyway. It's also a VERY quick ripping machine thanks to the speed up trick and will also burn to CD-R at 40X.
    That said, it's not as cheap as some, so you pays your money and pays your choice. Pioneer have also announced an 8X "+" AND "-" format burner (the 107) for February 2004 approx shipping. AFAIK this is the only 8X "-" burner currently announced.

To check compatability of discs with your set top machine, use www.dvdrhelp.com or www.dvdplusrw.org, both of which have regularly updated lists.

The Plextor is a cracking burner and has received glowing reports in the computer press; I have installed on two (1 XP Pro, 1 Win 2K Pro) PCs at work and both are performing faultlessly.

HTH

dr_m

8. danez

danez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I would stick to the Pioneers matey, most (not all) people that do backups use them so there will be lots of peeps to help you out if you have problems.
    As for backing up original dvd that is not so easy as some may think because most are into 5gb in lengh and more, so your 4.7gb Blank will not take them, and will need to be, dare i say it "Ripped"
    There is lots of info around the net on this subject.
    Most of the cheapo dvd players will read backups, but not all those will read what is called "Princo" dye disks (this is the dye that goes into the producing of the disk) But they will read the more excpensive "Ritek" dye disks.
    You will also find that a lot of the more expensive dvd players will read none of them, strange i know, but people think because something costs more it is going to be better for reading backups, this is not true because those makers have applied the technology to prevent them doing so. and this is one of the reasons they need to charge more.

9. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,544
    I would go for the Pioneer 106 look at this site here. and the disc compatibility. The Pioneer 106, scores very high whereas the some disc cannot be used on the 1300.

10. danez

danez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Garrett is correct, Go for the 106.
    the 1300 hates cheap princo disks, where the 106 will write to any blanks.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,544
    :blush: Just read your post danez above mine it seem you was more or less saying the same as my post. Just look on mine as backing your up.;)
    My mate uses the cheap Princo DVD’s and he has had no trouble what so ever with them on his 106.

12. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    cheers for the help lads i have bought the 106 and have been quite happy with how easy it is to burn dvds as usually everything technical on the pc side with me turns to crap very quickly lol.cheers for the help :) oh and is there any brands i should steer clear of? i have heard bulkpaq are awfull.

13. danez

danez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    SILVERBACK, Buy yourself a pack of orange top bulkpaq go to computer fair and get ten or so, if they work on your dvd player then use them matey. But if you plan on lending your disks out then you may find people have trouble reading them on their dvd's, most of the cheap ones will read them, well i havent come across one that doesent, but i'm sure someone will put me right on this lol.
    What player do you have and i will see if i can find out for you if it reads them ok.
    In my bedroom i have a cheapo player from asda (£43) and it reads everythin i have put in it, oh yes apart from the newspaper lol.

14. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,544
    I would also recommend a few re-writable as well to play with although a bit slower than write once disc, also they are great for backing data up of your computer every so often incase you HD goes belly up.