First DSLR Pics, help please!

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by tredman, Sep 8, 2007.

1. tredman

tredman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    Hi all,

I've just bought a DSLR and took it with me to Wales recently. I would appreciate comments and criticism of the couple of pics below, so I can get better!

Thanks in advance

Attached Files:

2. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Seems your missing 2 steps forward on both images, the first would look very good if you maybe got a bit lower and a bit closer.

The second has that shadow on the left hand side the subject looks good you just need a few steps closer for a better effect.

Every thing looks good other wise, by the way what camera did you get ?

3. tredman

tredman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    I bought a pentax k100d, I was looking at a couple of canons, but I don't have particularly steady hands so the built in IS swung it for me.

Thanks for the advise on the steps forward! the second could definitely do with it now you've mentioned and the same for the first

4. Member 79251

Member 79251
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
    Don't worry about sticking a camera up close to something or getting a little bit closer. I have various images from Mexico that I did the same thing you did, you just have to take more images and find your 'eye'.

One good tip, is that I have a 5 point check before I press the button. I check top left, bottom left, top right, bottom right and then middle to make sure I have nothing in the frame that I don't want.

Another way is make yourself a picture frame from some card and walk around without your camera and frame objects and things you can also make this effect with your hands but I think the card looks better. Then take your camera and without the frame, take the same pictures from memory. After a while you can auto frame objects while using the camera.

5. allymac123

allymac123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +435
    They don't look bad but you asked for help so...

On the first one its difficult to work out which is the main subject - is it the landscape or the mammals? As it is I would have adjusted my position so that the mammals were at the right hand side of the frame.

#2's a little more difficult as I don't know what sort of land you had at your disposal. As it is there looks like there is a sort of hollow/drainage channel on the right side. Maybe you could have used that to provide a lead in line upto the castle.

6. Luffy

Luffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +77
    Hi best advice I was ever given was shoot plenty of film its the cheapest bit of photography and we don't even have that worry now :thumbsup:

The thing that jumps out at me is in pic 2 the horizon is approx halfway down the frame :nono: try cropping it so you have a ratio of 1 third and 2 thirds above or below the horizon.

The two steps forward advice is good

Was the placement of the woman and dog at the apex of the converging lines in pic 1 deliberate or a happy accident it works but would be better and more obvious if you had moved slightly to the right and lost the hills / cliffs on the right of the pic (you could crop them out).

above all enjoy yourself

7. tredman

tredman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +635
    cheers for the advice people.

With the first one I tried to take advantage of the 'V' and bring it to a point, but it would the hills do distract from it so moveing to the right is a definite good idea.

The ratio of sky to landscape is a good heads up too, I'll try and crop it and see what it looks like.

Tom