First DSLR only got £400 what should i get ?

yazoo69

Ex Member
Reaction score
This will be my first DSLR , acouple factors that i want are photo Quality is the main thing i am after ...... what DSLR should i get ?

I only have about £400 so want to get the best i can at that price ...

My main subjects ill be taken photos off will be people and landscapes ..... so maybe mention some lens i should also invest in . Thanks

I was thinking Nikon D60 what do you think ?

Im heading new New York in acouple weeks and want to take some great photos ^^ . Thanks

Get into a shop and have a play. Each make/model feels different in your hands and you have to find one that feels right to you

pentax K-X with kit lens for £400~, its your budget but i would say the most camera your going to get for your money.

eos 1000D body for £288 shipped on amazon then buy an the 18-55 IS lens on ebay for £50-60. this is cheaper which will save you money or you might want to spend it on a 50mm prime or flashgun at some point.

D3000 with kit lens for £330, cheapest yet and in many ways better than the 1000D, you would have to compare the specs to decide what is best for you.

Do you absolutely have to buy new mate?

If not, an excellent condition 450D or maybe 500D is within your budget. The 500D has a movie mode unlike the 450D. I use the 450D am very happy with it. You will probably get the 18-55 lens included as well. That is pretty good for landscape. This photo shows the lens at 18mm.

Weymouth295of357.jpg

I know it's a crap photo, but I had only just got the camera and did'nt know what I was doing. Shows the angle though. That is a huge area in the pic. Could get a great NY cityscape with it. As with a lot of cheaper lenses though, try to stay away from wide open and lean more towards an F stop of 8-11 for maximum sharpness at 18mm. Therefore that means you should invest in a decent tripod as night time exposures will need a much long shutter speed.

You can go wider with a Tamron 10-24 for about £350. However, the Canon 70-200mm F4 L is a great landscape lens, but has a hefty price tag of £500.

But it is a superb lens.

Last edited:
This will be my first DSLR , acouple factors that i want are photo Quality is the main thing i am after ...... what DSLR should i get ?

I only have about £400 so want to get the best i can at that price ...

My main subjects ill be taken photos off will be people and landscapes ..... so maybe mention some lens i should also invest in . Thanks

I was thinking Nikon D60 what do you think ?

Im heading new New York in acouple weeks and want to take some great photos ^^ . Thanks

Wouldn't you be better off buying it in the US?

I would go to Jessops, Currys, etc and hold all of the ones in your budget (look online for US prices). Then go to the US and buy it on the first day. :D

whoops missed that you were going to the states, if it was me i would buy when i got there but one thing to remeber is that the warrenty is not valid in the uk.

ah cool i didnt think of that so is the American and the UK versions the same then ?...........I dont need movie mode at all just a cam that takes great photos....... I have air day coming up on 10th July at Yeovilston Airday so may pop to Jessops now and get the Canon 450D

they are completely the same apart from some models have a different name. a 450D is a rebel xsi for instance. also obviously you wont get a 3 pin UK power lead but they are only fig-8 leads so you should have one.

Hi,

I can 100% recommend the Sony range of camera's. I started off with an A200 - which is a great DSLR for the 1st time user and you could get some additional lenses too for your £400. They are discontinued now but you will find them for £150-200 on Evilbay/here when they come up.

If you can stretch to it? The A700 is a steal at around £400 second hand with the kit lens. This is what i would get for starters and then in time get more lenses when you can afford them. It is a stonking bit of kit :thumbsup:

The beauty of the Sony range is that they are good value and you have all the back catalogue of Minolta lenses which you can grab for very reasonable prices too. Check the Sony Alpha thread here on AVForums to see how many people love them like I do.

Hope this helps?
Cheers
G

If you can get yourself a 450d, a 18-55mm, and a 50mm f1.8 (all used), you could get that kit for about £400 and it would be superb, the 18-55mm can go wide for landscapes and the 50mm is an excellent low light lens, the 50mm also works great for people photos as it can really through the background out of focus and isolate your subject. Hope this helps ;)

Hi,

I can 100% recommend the Sony range of camera's. I started off with an A200 - which is a great DSLR for the 1st time user and you could get some additional lenses too for your £400. They are discontinued now but you will find them for £150-200 on Evilbay/here when they come up.

If you can stretch to it? The A700 is a steal at around £400 second hand with the kit lens. This is what i would get for starters and then in time get more lenses when you can afford them. It is a stonking bit of kit :thumbsup:

The beauty of the Sony range is that they are good value and you have all the back catalogue of Minolta lenses which you can grab for very reasonable prices too. Check the Sony Alpha thread here on AVForums to see how many people love them like I do.

Hope this helps?
Cheers
G

100% £400 could get you a nice used A200 and a decent lens.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom