First drive in my new (to me) leaf

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by FishDUDE, Mar 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Picked up my 14 plate 24KWh Tekna today from Aberdeen and drove it home (about 100 miles).
    I think I could have managed the drive with one Rapid charge either in Forfar or Dundee but we stopped in Stonehaven, Forfar and Dundee just to be safe due to my range anxiety.

My initial thoughts on the leaf are pretty positive, I thought i'd miss the oompf of my old warm hatch (208 GTI) but the leaf seems just as quick off the line - granted the acceleration falls off pretty quick but I didn't really thrash my old car much. The range of the leaf is pretty poor for long Journeys or rather seeing the range fall so quickly from such a low number is disconcerting.

My daily commute will be a 42 mile round trip and I have a charger at the office so I should be able to drive as normal without any consideration to the range, I think it will however take a little time to not feel a panic when I see the range as less than 50 miles, in the GTI the range would go from 50 to light on sometimes in just a few miles, the car before I had only about 10 miles to find a petrol station when the light came on but I was only getting 19-21 MPG in that.

The leaf seems a very smooth and relaxing drive, it's much more pleasant than my previous cars. The Bose system is much better than the standard stereo in the GTI but not a patch on the Bose system I had in my Mazda 3 MPS. I believe it's a super low power version. It's good enough about on a par with my partners Volvo V40.

Rapid charging is very easy, I looked up where they were on the route before hand and swiped my card and I was away, I can't believe it's free fuel too. Bonus :) I'm not sure if this is just up here in Scotland? I even have a rapid charger next to Sainsburys in my town so when we got back I hooked it up then went shopping for 15 minutes and when we walked back to the car 58% which is great. I take it it's okay to leave the car on a rapid if you are only away for 10-20 min?

All in all i'm very happy with it, the car is costing me the same a month as my GTi was but I was also spending £200 a month on petrol all in all a great deal.

Think we may attempt a trip off to Ireland at some point once we are a little more confident with the range and modes etc.

2. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    A Couple of Points on Range/Range Anxiety

As you get used to the car you will get more confident on pushing it further and the charge stops will come down.

As the weather gets better the range will increase, Its been cold down here so doubt its any warmer up in Aberdeen, and the batteries are not good for range down about 0c heating on etc.

I bet if you do the same trip in a few months time you will be doing it with one stop and wondering what the fuss is about.

My only tip would be to always have a backup charger in mind, its so easy to trip up and find the charger you planned to use is out of service or iced. it becomes second nature very quickly, and what seems a PITA at first soon becomes smiles as the cost savings kick in.

Enjoy the car. And the travels.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  3. amd mad

amd mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    Did you buy the leaf from nissan using any of their offers?

4. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    No I bought it from a Toyota garage just got it on standard HP over 5 years and will look to chop out in 2-3 years and if not possible I'll keep it longer and it can become the kids pool car when they're old enough.

5. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Yeah i'm sure i'll be fine in a few weeks or months, today I drove to work as I usually would and made it with 71% left so day to day I can't see any issues. Oddly it was the warmest i've ever seen in Aberdeen (about 5 C) today is bloody freezing though.

6. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Yep gets colder the further north you go currently stuck in Blackpool for a press launch tonight. And it's Brass monkeys here. Hoping the open bar later will remove the chill :)

At least got a free charge at Chalfont Richards Services on way up so should be an easy coast home without charging (125 miles)

7. amd mad

amd mad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +289
    How do you get a free charge ??

8. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,853
    If you have a subscription to the service or , increasingly rarely, some are just free... I think many or most in Ireland still are.

9. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Most of the Chargeplacescotland are free too I think it's paid for by the Scottish government but run by CYC? use the same RFID cards I think

10. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Not very useful for the Leaf (Except in an Emergency), but some Motorway Services still have the old 22kw AC Ecotricity boxes that activate with a RFID Card. The card is free you just fill in the form on the ecotricity website and they send you one, and there is no charge for the electricity.

Works very well for the Zoe which can take the full 22kwh and some other cars, not so useful if you are on 7kwh AC as you would be stuck ages waiting for it to charge

I tend to use Leicester Forest East and Newport Pagnell on the M1 which both have them (North and South), and Chalfont Richard on the M6 when shooting up North, think there are some down near Oxford as well but have not used them

Just need to sober up enough for the drive home now.. Oh dear it was a long night... Never drinking again!!! Lets just hope the wheels are still on the car when I get to it.. Blackpool after all ;-)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  11. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Went for a drive yesterday up to Loch Tay and back stopping at various locations, was a great drive and I have to say the charging infrastructure seems pretty good and reliable, not had any issues at all. Today we popped off across to Falkland for a mooch and Fife seems to have very few Rapid chargers, found one in Glenrothes that worked great at the council HQ.

I've still to apply for an OLEV and energy saving grant for a home charger and using the granny plug is a pain as it keeps tripping the switch in the garage. Actually looks like i'd better hurry up and get my application in before the 31st as the extra grant expires then.

I've used the following since picking up the car from public chargers, pretty good price I must say.
    I've only really charged once at home due to the tripping issue the rest at work while parked.

Attached Files:

12. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Parked my car up on Saturday last week at the local park and ride while I Germany, left it with 74% when I got in today it had dropped to 69% not plugged in and I hear it’s been a bit wintery while I was away so pretty good I’d say. (Was 22 in Berlin )

13. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Getting my charge point installed tomorrow, will make life easier save all the faffing with the 3 pin job, we are second job of the day so hopefully not too late. Went for the Rolec one as the other on offer had a large flashing light which would be pointing directly at the neighbours living room window, shame as it looked much nicer. Also getting my 32Amp cable tomorrow for emergency post charging when touring.

14. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Just about to undertake my first long ish range test in my old leaf, heading to Vindolanda from Kinross looks to be about 133 miles but motorway to just off the edinburgh bypass then pretty hilly so my question to all the EV vets here is do you think it will be doable with 2 charges or should I budget 3? also I don't fancy loitering at 60 so will cruising at 65-70 make a massive difference to range? heading off next friday so it may be a moot point about the speed with all the long weekenders on the road I guess.

15. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    In my old i3 (about the same range as the leaf) I would have aimed for 2 with a backup option in case of charger faults

BUT you threw in the speed curveball. If you are going anywhere near 70 on a hilly run I would be looking at 3 from the start

From 60 to 70 you increase power consumption by 1/3 afaik.

My best advice would be budget the time fo more stops than you need then if you get there early great and you can say sod it next time I know w3 ar3 safe with less stops

16. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Good shout, i'll stop in edinburgh for a quick charge then another couple on the way

17. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    If you are a passing a ChadeMo Rapid would be rude not to stop for 10mins if its free. ;-)

18. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    True enough and plenty of them on the route down, even has a 22kw post at the place we're staying which is nice.

19. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Am hoping to get some time to take a roadtrip myself this year, have ventured up as far as Oban in the Zoe but fancy both the North Coast 500 and a Trip to Ireland this year.

Have always flown and Hired over in Ireland before but trying to convince myself to take the Zoe for a week this summer (Got myself an Ecars Irish Charging card to try and push myself into taking the Zoe). But it still often works out cheaper to fly and hire the ferries are so expensive. But I think its got to be done this year.

Have a great trip. Let us know how it goes.

20. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    I too have gotten an eCars card for going to Ireland, we have use of a house in Co. Donegal great roads for driving on however the charging network isn't great Rapidwise but some posts about so using those and the granny cable at the house should be fine, the Ferry is very expensive and we will have to take two cars 2 adults and 4 kids which makes it even worse. Saying that this journey is a prelude to going over to Ireland just to see how far we can get as the road to Cairnryan is long with motorway plus tiny roads. We may just the two of us get the ferry over at somepoint and just fly with the kids and hire 2 little cars when we get to the Airport as I think it will be cheaper than taking the boat.

21. IronGiant

IronGiant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39,853
    Would it be easier and/or cheaper to hire one 6/7 seater?

22. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Most places it's cheaper to get two small cars, 7 seaters are very expensive to hire, except the USA and Germany that i've noticed, saying that it would be better as it's pretty crap both having to drive everywhere. Can't have a pint with my burger :(

23. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Yeah about £100 for the week for one little shoe box car or £400 for a kia carens

24. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    The Chargers in Ireland seem very Zoe Friendy due the prevelence of three phase, almost all on the map are 22kw, so even without many rapids the Zoe will soak up a full 41kw in 2 hours. I am happy to sit somewhere with a pint and a pie for a couple of hours to add another 200 mile range. Not so good for the Leaf at just 6.6kw an hour, you will need 2 pints and a 3 course meal ;-)

25. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    I do love pints and burgers so it's a win win :) so long as i'm not driving

26. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Kinross to Hadrian’s wall part 1.
    Charged to 100% over night and set heaters to pre heat the car before we left. Made it to Sheriffhall park and ride with 46% left traveling at 60-70 on the motor way with a mile in grid lock temps outside 9-15 degree.

About 30 miles not great but we were driving fast rather than eco.

27. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Charged for 17 min up to 83% and did a geocache while waiting next stop Lauder or Jedburgh.

28. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Arrived in Lauder 47% stopped a few times to grab geocaches very odd placement of a charger

29. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +478
    Out side temp 13-15

Attached Files:

30. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: