Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

First disappointment with Ht1000

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gadjet, May 30, 2003.

1. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi everyone,

Last night was the first football match to watch on the big screen. I watched through sky.(European cup). Big let down.
    The picture when at play view the players especially the Real players where all blurry and with a blurr all around them. When they ran it was worse .
    The picture from skybox was RGB scart to component converter then component to pj. Then I tried the sky attached to amp (pioneer ax-10) through converter then component down to amp and component from amp to pj. Picture ok on close ups. It is hard to get a good picture on faces as well when half time talk was on, dint look real and lot of bleeding. Will need a lot of tweeking with Bright, cont and col.
    Any idea on what to do, do you think it might work better with converting sky picture from RGB to video and using scart to s-video lead straight to pj from skybox?
    Very disapointed with that. Got plenty of time till start of next season starts but question is can you get a good picture at all with sky ?

PS Anotherproblem on films is that the titles are blurry around edges and if a film is full widescreen there is a purple ish colour at the top of the screen right accross, only thin but there. If the film is not widescreen does not effect it, you just see it on the bar.

First problems ,
    Phill

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,715
    These are problems with the source - Sky stuff tends to look a bit pixely at times anyway (lower bitrates), but if you use an analogue tv tuner, you'll get a far better picture.

I use my HT1000 for DVDs, and I don't get any of the problems you are having.

Gary.

3. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Its sky rather than any cabling of yours as Gary says. I noticed the same thing watching the match on NTL Digital. A lot of pixelation on wide angle shots but close ups weren't as bad. Mpeg encoding of grass is never great and add to that the low bitrates makes for a less than pleasing picture for fast moving grass sports. No problems with Golf for obvious reasons!! :D

4. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Phill

As to the horizontal band at the top of the screen check your H-V Position/Clock settings in the Image Options menu. It's quite possible you have adjusted the image downwards and this is introducing the band. Set the Vertical (second option) to zero and see if that helps.

5. Gadjet

Gadjet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Gary could you help me,
    The credits on all dvd,s are all shadowes and slightly blurred. Could you tell me the settings you have got your HT1000 on. I will then try and set mine similar. Especially in picture and image setting more than general set up unless there is something there that will make a difference. I have screen set to 16:9. to watch all filmsthe dvd is connected by component.

Hope you can help,

phill

6. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    First thing you want to do is make absolutely sure that the pj is perfectly perpendicular to the screen. Also ensure you are using the least amount of keystone (none if possible).

As to blurriness even on a CRT the rolling credits on films etc are not sharp. Also check your sharpness and Sweetvision settings and have a play around with them and see what works for you.

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,715
    Other than what Messiah has already suggested, I'll add that I have all my sweetvision settings set to off, and the gamma setting to normal. For pc I sometimes use dynamic contrast as it helps reduce noisy black areas in some dvds.

Try using s-video instead of the rgb/component converter just to see if that is the problem. You can even try composite as a comparison. I get pretty good results via composite out of my old vcr tuner so that should be worth a try at least.

Gary.