First direct Blu-Ray v HD-DVD comparison.

BadAss

Ex Member
Reaction score
Some clever sole over on the AVSforum has done a direct comparison of Training Day on BD and HD-DVD.

Here are the results, see for yourself.

Shows next to no difference between the two formats, which is interesting. Screen captures don't really make for great comparisons though. I'd like to know what equipment was used to make that comparison. And also, that website looks suspect, anyone making a comparison between versions of The Fifth Element, but calling it The First Element is obviously an imbecile...

Comparison is on a 1366x768 plasma so the scaling could be masking any difference that exhists, would be better to see this on a 1080p display.

Haven't heard any good or bad statements about the training day transfer on either format, have you guys?

John.

Funny, I thought the Blu-ray reproduction of the Training Day frame was slightly better......

End credits are not reliable tests, as they may or may not be captured on film, which complicates things.

Nick

There is of course one really big difference - Its 500 bucks to see one & a 1000 to see the other!

:eek:

paulfoley said:
There is of course one really big difference - Its 500 bucks to see one & a 1000 to see the other!

That is a very good point indeed

paulfoley said:

Hit the nail on the head!

The value of this comparison has to be regarded as very low. :thumbsdow It shows how both formats capture detail but very little else. Taking one scene - a low action/movement one as well - and comparing it on a pixel by pixel basis is somewhat futile. In order to compare the two formats you have to demo them...

When comparing Basic Instinct 2 at 1:43:29/1:45:33, Blu-ray against DVD he makes the comment
Subjectively I didn't feel that any frames prior to this in the movie had anything like this difference in detail.

and Terminator end credits comparing blu-ray and DVD.
Terminator end credits also blurrier on Blu-ray using 1080i displays

$1000 well spent then:D

Whilst the above comparison isn't perfect, to the price-conscious consumer on the street I'm sure they will find it difficult to discern the difference between the two. Given that, I'm sure they will go for whatever is cheaper be that a standalone HD-DVD player or PS3...

I still dont understand alot of the arguement that people have on price. On average the price for what ever reason of BD movies is lower than HD-DVD in the US, yet from this direct comparison the quality of BD v HD-DVD is the same.

The price of a HD-DVD player in the UK could well be £800. The price of BD in the UK could well be £800. So I don't see where HD-DVD will be half the price of Blu-Ray in the UK or Europe. The two formats will be equal in price and quality IMO.

BadAss said:
yet from this direct comparison the quality of BD v HD-DVD is the same.

I would hesitate to judge two formats that use two motion based compression schemes by comparing single frames.

Mr.D said:
I would hesitate to judge two formats that use two motion based compression schemes by comparing single frames.

wise words I think :thumbsup:

Out of interest hasn't Stacy Spears already made the comment when fed with same VC1 material he can see diddly squat difference between HD DVD and BD? They look virtually identical with the same material. This then boils down to cost and whether BD uses MPEG2 or not.

Nic Rhodes said:
Out of interest hasn't Stacy Spears already made the comment when fed with same VC1 material he can see diddly squat difference between HD DVD and BD? They look virtually identical with the same material. This then boils down to cost and whether BD uses MPEG2 or not.

Works for me.

Warner has stated that it will use Mpeg2 for its first 3-4 titles and then after use VC1. I think other studios will follow in 2007. I think its just Sony that will hold out on Mpeg2 and eventualy adopt AVC. I think Panasonic are developing AVC too so it would be interesting to find out if Sony and Panasonic are partners with this codec.

I must admit I see this more as a codec war and not a format war per se......

Nic Rhodes said:
wise words I think :thumbsup:

From the very outset its been made pretty clear that if both use VC-1 there is no diffrence if the studios do a good enough job.This then led to the debate that BR is better because they have (in theory) 50GB disc space.

I still dont understand alot of the arguement that people have on price. On average the price for what ever reason of BD movies is lower than HD-DVD in the US, yet from this direct comparison the quality of BD v HD-DVD is the same.
HD DVD is US$499, BluRay is US$999. I think the price argument speaks for itself. The question of price in the UK has yet to be announced from either camp.

The two formats will be equal in price and quality IMO.
You can't possible judge this by two freeze frame :eek: :eek: :eek: You really need to demo these products before you make statements like that :lesson:

Rasczak said:
You can't possible judge this by two freeze frame :eek: :eek: :eek: You really need to demo these products before you make statements like that :lesson:

I said IMO, so people dont take what I say as Gospel. How is anyone in the UK going to demo both unless they import both?

BadAss said:
I still dont understand alot of the argument that people have on price. On average the price for what ever reason of BD movies is lower than HD-DVD in the US, yet from this direct comparison the quality of BD v HD-DVD is the same.

Your point on the price of Blu-ray movies vs HD-DVD is fair. In the last 3 weeks Blu-ray movies average price has dropped by $2.5 more than HD-DVD movies have. However is this representative of how things will continue to be? or is this simply that Blu-ray discs are hardly selling at all compared to HD-DVD and they are taking desperate measures to try and achieve parity. Only time will tell.

There is also the fact to make up the difference of the player prices this is still hundreds of movies, based on US prices which is all we have to compare with.

The few combo HD-DVD and DVD movies are also pushing the average price of the HD-DVD discs upwards (what the hell are they thinking with these movies btw?, it was a great idea that has been stupidly implemented)

The price of a HD-DVD player in the UK could well be £800. The price of BD in the UK could well be £800. So I don't see where HD-DVD will be half the price of Blu-Ray in the UK or Europe. The two formats will be equal in price and quality IMO

I simply don't believe that at all. If Blu-ray and HD-DVD release in Europe at the same price you will be right, one of the major HD-DVD benefits would be gone. I simply do not believe that the cheapest HD-DVD player will release at 800 pounds not if they want the format to succeed. The only way I can see it being this expensive is if they don't really want to sell many because they have so little supply and are concentrating on the US.

Fancy a 20 quid or so bet for charity that the cheapest HD-DVD player this year in the UK will be closer to 500 than 800?. (obviously not including the 360)

Noggin1980 said:
The few combo HD-DVD and DVD movies are also pushing the average price of the HD-DVD discs upwards (what the hell are they thinking with these movies btw?, it was a great idea that has been stupidly implemented)
Interesting, I'm not disputing what you say aboud DVD combo discs, but I would like your views on why you think they've been stupidly implemented.

Noggin1980 said:
Fancy a 20 quid or so bet for charity that the cheapest HD-DVD player this year in the UK will be closer to 500 than 800?. (obviously not including the 360)

I'll take that bet for Charity. If we are talking RRP you can have the £500-649 range, while I'll take the £650-800 range. Agreed?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom