• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

first dedicated home cinema room!

ash944

Standard Member
hi totally new to the forum and forums in general so ill try to get this right, im looking for any advice on projector and screen

....here go the details so far....5m x5m basement room, black ceiling, dark blue walls, dark grey carpet... cabling for ceiling mount projector, power-2Xcat 5-hdmi, lutron lighting, ps3 and yamaha r-v2065

So seating postion will be about 12feet from the screen wall, what sort of projector should i be looking for to get a good screen size, and what would that size be? happy to have a fixed screen, can this be diyed or better to buy. Is £1000 a good budget for a projector, less if possible:) speakers to be sorted later when funds allow! (old ones for now) but sound recomends greatfully received.

thanks in advance

kbfern

Distinguished Member
The room sounds fine and depending where you put the projector on the ceiling (screen to projector lens distance) you will be able to get a potentially huge picture.

If you locate the projector at around the rear of the room an image of at least 100" diagonal and up to 130" if you wanted to go that big would be achievable.

Sitting at 12ft distance from the screen those sizes would be Ok with high def material (bluray etc).

With £1000 or less the best 3 projectors would be the Optoma HD20/200x at £700-£800 or a Mits HC3200 at £800 approx both these are DLP machines so get a demo to see if RBE (rainbows) are an issue.

The other and IMV the best option would be the Epson TW3200 at £999 which is an lcd machine so no rainbow issue and quieter than the dlp models.

As to the screen a fixed is best and can easily be made from a frame of wood covered in a suitable material.This will cost up to £100 depending on what material you use.

I made a 106" diagonal from an 8ft x 4ft sheet of MDF and painted one side grey and added a 2" flok border and this cost under £40 and was easy peasy to do in 2-3 hours (inc paint drying time).

Good luck with your project you will be pleased with whichever of those pj's you choose.

Member 518284

Distinguished Member
I echo what Keith has recommended :smashin: but in those nice dark conditions I`d recommend, if going down the diy screen route, to use dulux brill matt white rather than a grey paint. A Beamax fixed frame screen at around £350-400 is all you need for going the bought one way though.

You won`t need help from the screen to achieve good results in that enviroment, this will also allow you to spend a little more on the pj and i`d go for the 3600 epson, rather than the 3200.

In batcave conditions i`ve had these 2 side by side and their are differences to be seen, you do have to have them side by side though but it is worth the extra 300 quid imho, to get better contrast levels and deeper blacks.

That said the 3200 at a grand is a winner

Allan @ Ideal AV

kbfern

Distinguished Member
I should have made it clearer regarding the screen colour in that I painted my screen a light grey as my room walls were light coloured at the time.

I have since painted the walls a much darker colour and new purple carpet,however my ceiling is still white:thumbsdow so the grey still helps in my situation.

What Allan said is quite right with a totally dark room(walls ceiling/floor) a Matt white will be best.

ash944

Standard Member
thanks guys for comprehensive answers, gives me somewhere to start from. Think i will go down the diy road for the screen, seems simple enough, regarding the rainbow effect i assume it is exactly that, a rainbow colouring across the screen, its it obvious when it is there? Not sure if you can say on here but is there a dealer that would have some/all of these models to demo nw london, herts, bucks, would really like to get an idea of the differences.

Anim

The Rainbow effect is kinda weird, you can't focus on it when it happens which makes it uncomfortable, its almost a subliminal effect, I think everybody can induce them by quickly shaking your head side to side (not something you normally do when viewing). I looked for them on my first DLP projector (as you do) but after a week my brain learnt to ignore them and then enjoy those deep blacks that DLP are great at.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Try Kent Home Cinema. Not sure how far away they are from you, but they do have a large selection of Projectors for to view.

Regards. Shane.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom