• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

First day with Samyang 8mm Canon fit

Stinger69

Just received this lens today after deciding I want something reaaaaaaaaally wide! I also like the mad and dramatic perspective a fish eye can give you.
I realise it's not something you'd use every day, but I was surprised how much you can tame the apparent barrel distortion by being a reasonable distance from your subject and then aligning the horizon with the centre of the picture.

Shot this with focus set at 1.5m and F8.

Samyang 8mm Farningham _1 by Andy Likes Cameras, on Flickr

shotokan101

Banned
Looks good - you've controlled that very well )

Stinger69

Looks good - you've controlled that very well )

Thanks, it's a really interesting lens with a different distortion characteristic to a normal fish eye. At the very edges it actually looks less distorted than a standard ultra wide to me.

shotokan101

Banned
Thanks, it's a really interesting lens with a different distortion characteristic to a normal fish eye. At the very edges it actually looks less distorted than a standard ultra wide to me.

Sounds like it might be a Diagonal Fisheye design maybe ?

Stinger69

Sounds like it might be a Diagonal Fisheye design maybe ?

This is a quote from photozone:

"The Samyang is a fisheye lens and as such the extreme amount of barrel distortion is actually a feature and not a bug. However, the Samyang is still a fairly unusual fisheye - it has a near-"stereographic" projection so its distortion characteristic is actually less extreme at the image borders compared to conventional fisheye lenses. It's the first of its kind and Samyang even filed a patent for the design."

Don't know what that means exactly but I like the lens!

loz

Distinguished Member
My first day with one too :)
Just walked down to the lake and took a few tests.

And here is the shot from the same spot at 17mm a couple of days earlier

This lens is excellent value for money - Only £219 from UK Digital - but isn't perfect.
It isn't the sharpest lens (perhaps I am beeing too critical) - but sharp enough and the images do sharpen well in something like Lightroom.
It also suffers from chromatic abberations - though again they are not to hard to deal with in Lightroom.

But considering the price it is still a good lens and of course produces images that would otherwise be difficult to capture.

It is easy to use on a Canon. Metering is automatic in AV mode, so all you need do is manually set the apeture and focus.
The common recommendation to set it to F8 and the focus scale at 2m and then just about everything will be in focus seems to work.
But be prepared to carefully focus on closer objects.
A Canon with Live View - and especially with Magic Lantern firmware installed to get focus peeking - is invaluable in this respect.

I did however have to return my lens for calibration as it didn't seem to focus correctly. The test shot above is after it was returned.
The focus scale was well off, and it hit the focus limit before more distant objects had come truely in to focus.
Seems this is a common problem, so be aware.

As Stinger69 noted, the effects of barrel distortion are much more apparent if you don't keep the horizon in the centre

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom