1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Crt

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tech838, Oct 25, 2005.

1. tech838

tech838
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hello
    i am thinking of buying a barco 808 projector
    is has done 7500 hours with pictures of the tubes below
    how long should i expect them to last and how hard is it to set up
    thank you

Attached Files:

2. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi,
    looks like pictures were taken with the lenses on.

remove the lenses and then have a better look.

tubes are a guide at 10,000 hours of use.

Barco time is time projector is on, SOME pj's show stand bytime as well - this is NOT the case with a Barco.

The question would be how much is the projector?

As for installation it is NOT rocket science BUT thought to installation needs to be given

Installation should be divided into 3 parts

1. Physical installation on pj and screen wrt each other - this MUST BE CORRECT or you waste your time.
    2. Setup of projector within the "usual" items to give a very good picture.
    3. Fine setup of items to get the last 10% out of the projector.

for most 1&2 are all you need, with time 3 can be achieved.

A good picture is fairly easy to get and very watchable.

Perfect picture I doubt could be got by many people....thats just being honest.....

I like to tweak and play - many like to sit and watch the same pj will be used by both types of people.....

All the best,

which ever one you decide on CRT is the best way to go.

3. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    impossible to tell what condition its in from that monsters inc screenshot, but for the money it looks good!!
    be warned though..... it is a beast, whatever size it is in your head, double it!!!!
    not to rain on your parade, but for your first crt, i'd be looking for something a little smaller. If you've got room for it though and a strong ceiling - go for it!

4. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Why do people think the ceiling will collapse if they put one of these things up. Go upstairs and stand on one leg on tiptoe. Does the floor collapse? So all your weight which as an adult will be probably more than the Barco is on that small area yet the floor does not even bend.

Of course make sure that you just dont try and hang it off the plasterboard or else it will collapse but spread over a couple of joists there will be no problem.

It is an excellent projector even for a first time buyer. If you are going to go to the trouble to mount it then you want it to be the best you can afford and not wanting to upgrade within 6 months. I have had one of these for almost 4 years and the picture is excellent.

If the tubes have done 7500 hours then there will be wear on them and make sure that is reflected in the price you pay.

5. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes of course, but not every ceiling is supporting a floor above it. The ceiling in my flat takes you to the loft, the joists are designed to support plasterboard and a few light fittings. For me, an 8" projector would be pushing the tolerance of what my ceiling can support. All I was indicating is that investigation is required before you try and cram one of these in the back of your car!

6. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    depends on type of roof

A truss roof (new style) will have much thinner beams and offer less vertical support than an old style roof

To be honest to date we have been able to hang every plasma, tv, crt projector, large flown speaker stack etc in every venue we have been asked to do so.

The question is always how much work is required to do so.

Think of your loft.....

Would you walk on the beams, would you support your weight on one beam? YES - without even thinking about it.

This is a vertical weight

I weight about 85Kg

my 1208 is also about 90Kg

would I attach my projector to one beam - NO

safety factor TOO LOW

between 2 beams even weight load - maybe 45Kg per beam, depends on where the nearest vertical suport is.

NOW span it accross 4 beams with a couple of bits of unistrut - YES you now have a much better and more even spread load.

Cost of unstrut £30.00

Ease of doing 9/10

SO I think what matters is that you understand the risks and consider the amount of load per point and you should always AIM for a saftey factor of 10x when fixing anyhting - this is a standard spec from most manufacturers.

I think I am right that a Helicopter has one of the lowest saftey factors

2:1

I've still flown in them.......and am here to tell the tale!

WHAT concerns me is a large number of "oh it will be alright" installations.

I have been called to put right a number over the years which have gone very wrong......

Each time a simple thing has been overlooked and led to a failure.

Use correct fittings, know what you are doing or DONT DO IT!

7. Erling

Erling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding the ceiling and its ability to support a CRT projector typically weighing 60-100kg; even though it might not collapse, it may begin to 'sag' over time, so spreading the load as suggested in other replies is a good idea.

Regards,
    Erling

8. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Mine is also upstairs and hanging from the loft beams. It is spread over a few beams with unistrut.

MadH you mention you bout supporting weight on one loft beam but everytime you actually move one foot to walk you are essentially doing that if walking in the loft. :)

You are right though the better the spread the bigger the safety margin.

I travel on helicopters all the ime as I work offshore. Thanks for pointing that out :(

9. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Rigman - I have edited my post it should now read better!

(HAVE YOU READ WHAT YOU WROTE! - spooling issues!)

your point about weight on one leg whilst walking was what I was trying to show.

re your work offshore.......

I used to work at a lab that analysed the core samples from offshore rigs (BP) using Deuterium labelled water - make any sense to you or am I talking another lingo!

that fact that you work offshore and know your insurance group means you know you are high risk.......

Work Safe.

10. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    rigman - When you walk across a floor your not a static load, nor really when you stand on one leg for a minute or so. A static load is worse as it is there perminantly.

Also if people are sat directly undernear them they like to feel that they are safe....Safty is after all only an illusion anyway.

Personaly doing a retro install i'd go with the unistrut across a few beams - As it was, when i installed my BG801s, we had the ceiling down and i could brace it properly - Hell i can happily hang off my projector with no movement :D

Tech - As for an 808, i've been tempted to upgrade to one a few times - Like all the 800 series onwards they are digital chasis, so after the initial physical set-up most of the settings are via remote. There are a few pots to tweak for perfection, but you can equaly leave well alone and get a good picture so long and the physical install is good. You need the PJ centre and perpendicular to the screen at the correct height and distance - There is *NO* compromise allowed with this unlike the offaxis zoomed images from most DLP/LCD. Ambient light is another killer. You *NEED* a blacked out room. They are also huge, think of an ugly box 2' x 3' x 4' hung from the ceiling....however if you can live with the enviromental constraints they can give awesom pictures....better than the chain cinemaplexes that fo sure :thumbsup: