Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

First Crt

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by tech838, Oct 2, 2005.

1. tech838

tech838
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hello
    What do all you very intelligent people
    think of the Seleco SVP 400 Plus as
    a first time projector for:

ease of use
    ease of set up
    reliability

thank you all very much :thumbsup:

2. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Its a great start.

In fact better than just a great start.

Im a fan of both seleco's and Barcos

The Seleco is a very good looking unit - just in case that matters.

MOST of the 150,190,350's were really sold to the pub market so there are many out there that have been hammered.

(Im sure some people with them DO have non pub fantastic units as well)

So the 400 was really the start of the higher end selecos

there were 2 400's that I know of the 400HT and the 400 plus

the plus usually had higher grade lenses, the plus came standard with UPC (selecos own line doubler unit)

I think on the 400HT unit the UPC was an option (I know it did have them as I have one here with UPC, and you can always lens upgrade)

there are of course better the 450+,500+,500+HD
    (and they are still out there - NEW even!) :smashin:

they all have the same mounting system so you could always upgrade.

they are all esy to set up - so long as you take a bit of time and if this is your first CRT then dont think you will get the best result first time, dont be frightened to get it wrong and go back and try the setup again.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO MOUNT IT CORRECTLY , ceiling or floor, you should spend most time in the critical physical setup prior to ANY actual pj setup.

If you really really really cant wait to see what it will look like after you have bought it then try this. :lesson:

Sit projector on the floor
    Connect your DVD player to the PJ
    Switch on, select correct input
    (DONT WORRY IF PICTURE IS upside down or reversed this is just a quick test)
    Cover the red and blue lens (YES lets just use the green)
    undo the 2 screws on the top of the case (half turn and they are undone)
    flip the lid up
    release the 2 screws on the GREEN lens
    adjust the GREEN lens by twisting it center section first (does center area)
    lock that screw then twist the fornt section (does edge focus)
    Now RELEASE the hing DONT just try and close the lid!
    Look at the sharp focus and yes its in green only But is an excellent start on your route.

The above avoids the need to converge the projector and shows you a good starting point and picture (IF you are totally new to CRT and just have to play the second you get it home)

Dont run it for long like that, but you will get a good idea of picture size and quality.

You can also do this quickly when you buy it to notice any major problems that might be there (check red and blue in the same way)

(just in case you have been looking at my 400 that is for sale the above is my honest opinion)

I hope that is of help to you.

Now you are thinking of a CRT you are on the right track (lcd/dlp are just not worth a second thought)

Enjoy your PJ.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    MMH is pretty close in most respects - the Seleco 400 is a nice projector. It's relatively small, easy to upgrade (fan mod, lenses, line doubler) and has full digital convergence with multiple memory banks so you can practise your set-up skills without making a mess of the main set up.

The model evolution is as follows: 400HT became 400Plus then was replaced by the 450. All these were fitted with Seleco's own line doubler (a.k.a. UPC) as standard. Seleco introduced the SVP420 towards the end of the model life of the 450. This is the only 4XX series without a Seleco line doubler.

All 4XX series used the same chassis and cabinet and all were fitted with the same Delta TAC4 composite lenses (slightly softer focus than glass but better light transmission for a brighter image). All could be upgraded to have the HD6 Glass Lenses fitted. It was £2K originally. Secondhand glass lenses are much cheaper now.

From memory, the principle differences are:-

400Plus got a 32kHz Component input for Progressive Scan sources.
    450 had upgraded electronics for better fine detail (the 20MHz tube bases from the SVD500)
    420 is an SVP450 without the Seleco line doubler.

All of these machines work great with a an iScan Pro line doubler or a decent scaler set to 480P/576P output resolution.

There's plenty of info in this forum about Selecos. Use the search feature.

As MMH said, getting the projector mounted in the right place will make the rest of the set-up a lot easier and help with long term reliability. Again, have a look at the older posts. I've been contributing here for the last 8 years give or take, so you should be able to find most answers if you do a bit of digging :thumbsup:

Glad to have you on board.

Regards

4. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Lets see if we can complete the list.

(ANYONE feel free to correct anything I get wrong.......Its been years since I dealt with these items - this weekend has been a great get together of some guys I used to work with and test these units, As much as I rate Barco kit very high these selecos have amazing focus - especially the one with 37 hours on its clock........... :smashin: )

SVP 400HT Tac4 lenses (renamed the 400 plus later - any other changes?)
    SVP 400Plus got a 32kHz Component input for Progressive Scan sources.
    SVP 420 is an SVP450 without the Seleco line doubler.
    SVP 450 had upgraded electronics for better fine detail (the 20MHz tube bases from the SVD500)
    SVP 450+ Tac4 Lenses 38KHz

SVD 500+ HD6 lenses 38KHz
    SVD 500+HD HD145 lenses - UPC2000, "new improved" line doubler 38KHz
    SVD 800 (HD145 lenses I think)

(I have here 1x400,3x450+, 1x500+, 1x500+HD for a very short while!)

So NOW would be the time to put together a list if it would help others.

I have also attached pics of the BOXES. Any info you want from the MANUALS - now is the time to ask........

The 500+ box is at the bottom of the pile and difficult to get to, it reads EXACTLY the same as the 450+

Attached Files:

5. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    This is a good candidate for a sticky, don't you all think? One place with a short but definative list of features and specs (including PS compatibility) written by those in the know.

What say you? Good people.

6. Nebby

Nebby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    ...and don't forget the Seleco SVP320 Plus...my (not so) little baby!!!

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    All SVT and SVP4XX series use Delta TAC4 lenses as standard.

SVT 150 RF Tuner, Toshiba tubes (smoke proof), manual convergence, no 16:9 mode, video only
    SVT 180 RF Tuner (?), Sony tubes - not smoke resistant, manual convergence, no 16:9 mode, video only
    SVT 190 Sony tubes, manual convergence, no 16:9 mode, video only
    SVT 195 Sony tubes, Digital convergence, no 16:9 mode, video only

SVP 310 Tosh tubes (smoke proof), manual convergence, 4:3 & 16:9 modes, video only, no component input
    SVP 320 Tosh tubes (smoke proof), *improved manual convergence, 4:3 & 16:9 modes, video only, 15KHz component input,
    SVP 350 RF Tuner, Tosh tubes (smoke proof), manual convergence, 4:3 & 16:9 modes, video only, no component input
    SVP 350Plus RF Tuner, Tosh tubes (smoke proof), *improved manual convergence, 4:3 & 16:9 modes, video only, 15KHz component input
    SVP 390 Sony tubes, Digital convergence, 4:3 & 16:9 modes, video only, (?? component input ??)

* improved manual convergence - digital H&V shift for R&B tubes to improve convergence accuracy with PAL and NTSC sources.

8. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Note to self: List so far, use as start of database file, pics to add,

Note to others: If you have any info to add just pm it to me and I will add to this list.

SVT 110 Toshiba tubes (smoke proof), manual convergence, no 16:9 mode, video only 3x CRTs, 110 ANSI Lumens (680 Lumens @ Peak White) TV Tuner, Teletext, integral audio amplifier.
    SVT 150 RF Tuner, Toshiba tubes (smoke proof), manual convergence, no 16:9 mode, video only 3x CRTs,110 ANSI Lumens (680 Lumens @ Peak White) TV Tuner,
    SVT 180 RF Tuner (?), Sony tubes - not smoke resistant, manual convergence, no 16:9 mode, video only
    SVT 190 Sony tubes, manual convergence, no 16:9 mode, video only
    SVT 195 Sony tubes, Digital convergence, no 16:9 mode, video only 3x CRTs, 140 ANSI Lumens (900 Lumens @ Peak White) 4:3/16:9 Ratio, digital remote convergence.
    SVP 310 Tosh tubes (smoke proof), manual convergence, 4:3 & 16:9 modes, video only, no component input 3x 7" CRTs, more than 700 TV – lines, 130 ANSI lumens, PAL, SECAM, NTSC 4.43 and 3.58, Color T: 3200K, 6500K,9300K, 60" – 250" diagonal ,INPUTS: RGB, Video 1, Video 2, S-VHS 1, S-VHS 2, weight 35.kg.
    SVP 320 Tosh tubes (smoke proof), *improved manual convergence, 4:3 & 16:9 modes, video only, 15KHz component input,
    SVP 350 RF Tuner, Tosh tubes (smoke proof), manual convergence, 4:3 & 16:9 modes, video only, no component input
    SVP 350+ RF Tuner, Tosh tubes (smoke proof) some with Sony tubes, *improved manual convergence, 4:3 & 16:9 modes, video only, 15KHz component input
    SVP 390 Sony tubes, Digital convergence, 4:3 & 16:9 modes, video only, (?? component input ??) 3x07MS 7" CRTs, more than 700 TV – lines, 140 ANSI lumens, 60" – 250" diagonal, PAL, SECAM, NTSC 4.43 and 3.58,Color T: 3200K, 6500K,9300K, INPUTS: RGB, Video 1, Video 2, S-VHS 1, S-VHS 2, weight 35.kg.
    SVP 400HT Tac4 lenses (renamed the 400 plus later - any other changes?)
    SVP 400+ got a 32kHz Component input for Progressive Scan sources.3x CRTs, 140 ANSI Lumens, 15-32 kHz horizontal scan rate, VGA/MAC, Line Doubler, hybrid lenses, INPUTS: RGB1,2, Video 1,2,S-VHS 1,2, RS422.
    SVP 420 is an SVP450 without the Seleco line doubler.
    SVP 450 had upgraded electronics for better fine detail (the 20MHz tube bases from the SVD500)
    SVP 450+ Tac4 Lenses 38KHz
    SVD 500+ HD6 lenses 38KHz Built – in Line Doubler, 145 ANSI Lumens 15 – 38 kHz horizontal scan rate, 1920 x 1080 pixels, interlaced HDTV capability, 6x different inputs, , DVD ready with component input, 2x output power supply to control motorized screens,
    SVD 500+HD HD145 lenses - UPC2000, "new improved" line doubler 38KHz
    SVD 700
    SDG 700 3x 7" CRTs, 160 ANSI Lumens, 15-72 kHz horizontal scan rate, VGA/SVGA/XGA/MAC, max resolution 1500x1200 pixels, optional Line Doubler.
    SDG 790
    160 ANSI Lumens, 15-90 kHz, VGA/SVGA/XGA/MAC, max resolution 1500x1200, optional Line Doubler, INPUTS: RGB, VGA/SVGA, Video, Serial interface
    SVD 800 (HD145 lenses I think)
    SDG 900 PLUS
    New improved 3x 8" CRTs, image resolution up to 1600 x 1400 pixels, 250 ANSI lumens, PAL, SECAM, NTSC 4.43 and 3.58, full HDTV standard compatibility, 15 – 105 kHz horizontal scan rate, , internal Up converter (option), 60" – 300" diagonal, INPUTS: RGB, VGA/SVGA, Video, Serial interface

* improved manual convergence - digital H&V shift for R&B tubes to improve convergence accuracy with PAL and NTSC sources.

(Smoke proof) - an idea still used today by some of the sim 2 products - designed for use in the pub/club trade, **check this bit** - lenses sealed to stop smoke ingress.

9. Boy Lex

Boy Lex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my 350+ has sony tubes btw... i think it can be either

10. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    That's quite true. There was a batch made with Sony tubes because Toshiba had run out! :)

11. kalW

kalW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +118
    MadMrH: I like your list! Good idea. Let me know once you think it's close to as complete as it's going to get and I'll post it here: http://www.curtpalme.com/Seleco.htm

(That is, if it's ok with you).

That should be more permanent then a thread posting...

Kal

P.S. What exactly do you mean by "smoke proof"? Never heard the term before...

12. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,716
  13. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Hi Gary,

Sorry no it is not, nor on the barco's

you need a component input, it will usually use input point from the rgbhv but set to receive different type of signal. IShouls be marked up if it can accept component.

14. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,716
    Thnks for that MMH.

So is s-video the best input option (scart RGB?), and what about line doubling etc to remove scan lines?

Gary.

15. Mad Mr H

Mad Mr H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +280
    Cant line double on a 310 im sorry.........

Need 400 onward (maybe 390) - this is what this list is all about, trying to combine all info .

I will be putting it in a better format but for now just collection info.
    Send me pics you pj front, top, back, back info label, inside cover.

most will look the same but want to try and help others see the changes between each model.