First Crash

Goooner

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Just had my first HD box crash tonight:eek:

Had it 10 days, been working great with no problems, it was recording at the time and I was watching another recording on it, suddenly the picture goes blank:(

First of all I thought the cat had trodden on the remote as he often does, but no. Went into the planner could select a recorded programme but couldn't play it. Tried normal programmes got the search and scan banner but no picture. Switch it on and off, no change.

Unplugged it, rebooted and it wouldn't come back on. Panic starting to set in now:)

Rebooted, still nothing, getting on the phone to Sky, when it came back on:clap:

No idea what caused it, just hope it's not a regular occurence:lease:

Funny enough had the same thing, under what looks like exactly the same conditions.

It was just getting to the very end of the recording I was watching, when it crashed. Hence the programme it was recording failed. :thumbsdow

Reboot, and OK since - though I haven't done the same set of actions yet.

I was about 15 minutes from the end of the recording I was watching and 15 minutes into the one it was recording.

Even after two reboots, it still carried on the recording. I had a quick look at the recording and it's definitely got something, not sure if it's from the very start yet, or if it's from after the reboot.

loz said:
Funny enough had the same thing, under what looks like exactly the same conditions.
Do you guys share a cat???????????:rolleyes:

This morning, I had "No satellite Signal is being received" on several channels. I can still play back recordings, didn't get time to check if it would still record, had to leave for work.

In the setup screen, the signal test shows "Not Locked" for both inputs and no strength or quality bars:eek:

Hope this doesn't mean the box is about to die, as it's 85% full with stuff and if they swap the box I'll lose it all:eek:

I'll check it tonight when I get home, if it's still the same, I suppose I'll have to get on the phone to Sky, unless anyone has any ideas what it might be?

I've had the no signal thing a couple of times on my Sky HD box but far more frequently on my old Sky+ box. To fix it I had to unplug the box for a few seconds or so and then plug it back in. Its best to leave the box for a couple of minutes while it boots back up - it normally won't respond at all for a minute or so after being plugged back in - this is normal as the box needs time to reboot.

BrianC said:
I've had the no signal thing a couple of times on my Sky HD box but far more frequently on my old Sky+ box. To fix it I had to unplug the box for a few seconds or so and then plug it back in. Its best to leave the box for a couple of minutes while it boots back up - it normally won't respond at all for a minute or so after being plugged back in - this is normal as the box needs time to reboot.

Same thing here. I don't think it means imminent death of the box rather it's another of those quaint Sky HD quirks.

Yes, I'm waiting for my SKY HD box but I've had loads of these type of occurances on SKY+...failed recordings....freezes...etc etc....Doesn't happen all the time and a reboot usually fixes...I think this is why they have the +1hr channels and repeat loads of programmes :D

I had something similar, though not identical.
I was watching a recording, while the box was recording and the picture froze. I had control over the box but no matter what I did it froze at the same point in the recording. I tried both fast forward which did not help and even coming out of playback and entering a time in advance of the freeze point but it just went back to the same point and froze again. A reboot obviously fixed it. Mine may just be a bad spot on the disc but it is still frustrating.

Thanks guys, somewhat reassured now that my box isn't going to die and deprive me of the lovely HD goodness, even if only for a short time:clap: :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom