First cover-art of European HD-DVD titles.

The Fog??? How did that get by me?

Maybe it's just me but it seems to have been removed.

[QUOTE}we really need a euro hd/blu-ray launch b4 xmas[/QUOTE]
HD DVD is launch before Christmas in Europe (November). BluRay have announced an informal date of March but I would suspect we'll see a handful of titles in November (timed with PS3) as well.

I'm getting very excited now......

Still not sure whether to take the risk and start buying HD-DVD disks from the US in the hope I'll be able to play them when the UK players arrive, so I've got something to watch when it all arrives.......

Cheers

alpha10 said:
I'm getting very excited now......

Still not sure whether to take the risk and start buying HD-DVD disks from the US in the hope I'll be able to play them when the UK players arrive, so I've got something to watch when it all arrives.......
Same here, i was or am tempted to get one from the US but can wait until Nov; i think

UrbanT said:
No you can't
You're right there :) , but i must keep telling myself summers for cycling (as i am a keen cyclist) and winters for watching :D

i must keep telling myself summers for cycling (as i am a keen cyclist) and winters for watching
I tried the same thing: "it's too hot for movies", "summer is for going out and about", "enjoy the Sun" were all phrases I used to try and convince myself not to buy a HD DVD player now. My resolve lasted about 7 days...now a XA1 owner :thumbsup:

YES! King Kong. :clap:

I have to wait for a UK player as most of my 450+ DVDs are R2.....

Having said that now I mostly use my PC as a player Hmmmm

Still praying that a drive for my HTPC will turn up for HD soon....

I think I may take the risk and start buying US titles and hope I can play them:confused:

Cheers

PS the summer is just a pain with a projector and no blackouts :D

HighDeff said:
Jeff, be aware it´s the 1976 version, the 2005 version should be released in the US later this year, hopefully.:smashin:

Why would I want Peter Jacksons rubbish. ;)

Total Recall HD-DVD... yes, yes, yes, yes, yes!

I'll be talking to Toshiba at the end of the month (phoning one of their engineers at the IFA show in Germany) and will ask them to confirm the region stuff.

That cover for Rambo II has him holding a machine gun with an rocket on the end.:rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm as excited as the next person but here's my main concern. Will these older movies look that much different to the upscaled DVDs that some of us already have of them? I feel a lot happier to part with my money when the film is something new and originally shot in HD or at least when I know for certain the the quality is going to be stunning. Having send that, my HD copy of "Brother's Grimm" looks superb and I'm assuming that that is just a transferred film negative. I'd love to see the 1976 "King Kong" looking as good as it did when I first saw it in the flicks as an 11 year old. OK, so the films pretty naff, but there's a lot to say for nostalgia.:smashin:

Gae

from the first European disc..

"However, along with a picture-in-picture Making of documentary that is synchronised with the movie and can be freely positioned on the screen, the highlights of the disc are the various encoding variants. For example, the main film is stored on the disc as both a VC-1 and MPEG-2 video, which allows the user to compare the quality of the formats."

Gae said:
I'm as excited as the next person but here's my main concern. Will these older movies look that much different to the upscaled DVDs that some of us already have of them? I feel a lot happier to part with my money when the film is something new and originally shot in HD or at least when I know for certain the the quality is going to be stunning. Having send that, my HD copy of "Brother's Grimm" looks superb and I'm assuming that that is just a transferred film negative. I'd love to see the 1976 "King Kong" looking as good as it did when I first saw it in the flicks as an 11 year old. OK, so the films pretty naff, but there's a lot to say for nostalgia.:smashin:

Gae

Anything shot on film can be in HD, with film having a much higher definition than HD-DVD to start with. I notice you have SkyHD, most SkyHD films look like decent SD DVD, HD-DVD apparently looks much better.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom