• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

First CCTV setup for home? Either 1 or 2 cameras

chippyteaforme

Hi all!

Looking to get a pretty basic 1 or 2 camera setup for the home. Definitely want something that covers the driveway to the front of the house, as then it would also cover the entrance to the garages. May also be tempted to have a camera at the back to cover the back garden, shed and conservatory, depending on how much extra work adding another camera would be.

Never had a CCTV setup before, and wonder if anyone could suggest some options?
Not a lot of theft around here, although I am a bit neurotic about my car as it has keyless entry (I'm always plonking my keys into a metal box!). Did have a bike stolen from my 'garage > tip' pile, although it had no value and was going to go to the tip anyway.

Would also be nice if one or both cameras could also pick up the hedgehogs, although security is my main focus :D

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Depends what sort of system you want? Something like Nest or a full on home recording system? I’ve gone for a cheap and cheerful setup. I was going to get nest but amazon were selling Nooie ones cheap and got good reviews. Very similar looking and functionality to the basic nest cameras. Originally just got one for the front but recently added one for the rear too.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
You get one, you'll want two. You have two, you'll want 3 and so it goes on.

Have a walk around and look at blindspots, areas cause for concern and then you can work it out.

I'd say a DVR with cables running to the attic with an ethernet hardwired to the router that backs up to the cloud on 30 day rotation, with a static ip that you can access via an app or browser.

Dony

Distinguished Member
I'd say a DVR with cables running to the attic with an ethernet hardwired to the router that backs up to the cloud on 30 day rotation, with a static ip that you can access via an app or browser.

This is the type of install I have. Loads of features, simple operating system, good app.

chippyteaforme

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I guess I was originally looking at a simple system, but will definitely look into my options. I've got decent internet here (about 40Mbit/sec) so like the idea of cloud backups.

As with most things I do get upgrade-itis so it probably would be worth me looking into something more substantial and wired to the router first time, rather than me going for a simple setup. Plenty to ponder now! :)

Dony

Distinguished Member
Thanks everyone for the replies!

I guess I was originally looking at a simple system, but will definitely look into my options. I've got decent internet here (about 40Mbit/sec) so like the idea of cloud backups.

As with most things I do get upgrade-itis so it probably would be worth me looking into something more substantial and wired to the router first time, rather than me going for a simple setup. Plenty to ponder now! :)

Have a look in this section of the forum.

Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum

Hikvision seem to be the forum favourite, but there's plenty of other good systems out there. If you go for a professional install you'll normally get whatever that installer has a dealership/agency for.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
40mb is OK. For live streaming iirc its about 1mb per camera for HD. You could always get a second fttc as dedicated.

Total cost about £300 depending on the tvl of the camera, how many cameras etc and dvrs are like £60. Pre terminated cable on ebay is like £2pm

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom