1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Camera

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Philip Newton, Nov 14, 2002.

1. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wanting to know which camera I sould buy £350 max budget I want it to do well in dark and bright places, widescreen modes if they exist, prefer a viewing screen rather than just eye peice and would like it to do black and white, slow motion sepia and other effects. Also would like it to take still photos while filming. I do not know much about this so I wanted to learn with a reasonable camera. Advice would be good as I would like to get it before christmas. Oh I would prefer digital but not sure at that price. Thanks in Advance

2. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Was looking into Sony DCRTRV140 will this do what I want it to do or are there better ones?

3. booyaka1976

booyaka1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't want much for yer money eh???

Sony makes some cracking cam's. Best thing i can advise is to go and try handling a few in the shops. See what feels good and works well etc. It's like asking what's the best car for £15k??
    Everyone will have a different opinion!!! (try going to Jessops as a fairly trusty retailer - also find cameras prices on the net and take them in - Jessops will normally price match most times!)

Stick with trusted brands. As for photos whilst filming you can get cams that take seperate shoots whilst filming or if you plan to use your PC for editing video then you can capture individual frames from the film to use as photos. You will need a cam that has either DV out or a USB connection. Most cams will only film in 4:3 - i think? (ie not widescreen). Feel free to correct me anyone!

Hope this helps a little

4. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got a panasonic NVDS29B for £301!!! as I price matched techtronics at a local store and I didn't realise that was ex VAT and neither did they.... I have read a review over at What Camcorder and it seems to do all I want it to and has widescreen cinema modes too!!

One question though, it did not come with any tapes can I use any Mini DV tapes much like you can use different mini discs or is my camcorder only compatible with certain makes models etc. Also were do I get the biggest longest battery from at a good price. Many thanks. I know that this is a simple question but I am new to this.

5. booyaka1976

booyaka1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any DV tape will work. IMHO though stick to the named makes - Sony,TDK etc

Excellent price for the panasonic.:D

6. Philip Newton

Philip Newton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought that was the case I picked up some sony ones. Any idea on batteries?