first camera you owned

Dancook

Distinguished Member
I remember a really early film camera I had when I was really little! Probably kodak.

First digital camera was probably some Sony Cyber-shot ~3MP - not this exact model - in my teens

sony-cyber-shot-dsc-p1.32597442 (1).jpg

The first camera I had when I got into photography was Sony A580 and that was only a 2-3 years ago.

eduk

Distinguished Member
I can't remember the 35mm compact one, but my first SLR was the Centon DF-300 which is a Jessops copy of the Minolta X-300.

BT Bob

Distinguished Member
First "proper" camera was a Praktica LTL3.

shotokan101

Banned
wasn't there a thread about this (or similar) recently ?

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
I remember "Father Christmas" bringing me a Kodak Ektra or Ektralite (can't remember the exact model) which took 110 cartridges when I was a kid. I seem to remember the built-in flash made a high-pitched whirring sound, which got higher and higher until the flash was ready to fire. Something like this kodak classics - mischa koning

bobbymax

eduk

Distinguished Member

shotokan101

Banned

shotokan101

Banned
...just didn't want you all getting caught out on a lie when I go and check :p

AMc

Distinguished Member
My first was a 110 cartridge film camera with an separate electronic flash (back in the days when flash bulbs were still around) - a quick google suggests it might have been a Hanimex. It was silver and had a normal/tele switch to choose between two lenses. Viewfinder was on one side past the edge of the cartridge which lead to more than the usual number of parallax issues with chopping people off the frame.
110 film cameras were mostly long thin. Fixed focus, fixed exposure - mostly terrible pictures. I was about 8.

Next camera was a Practica 35mm with auto exposure. Followed by an inherited Yashica 35mm SLR which I still have somewhere. No light meter so you had to judge/guess your exposure. I did my GCSE photography with that using black and white film we developed and printed ourselves.

Then a big break followed by a Largan Chameleon digital camera (640x480!) then a Canon iZoom...

shotokan101

Banned
I remember those well - pretty sure I owned aPrinnz (Dixons) version and it had a "big stickie up plastic pillar thing" that you could also use to fit the flashcubes on to raise it up - also owned a 126 at some point...

BubbleDouble

Distinguished Member
I remember those well - pretty sure I owned aPrinnz (Dixons) version and it had a "big stickie up plastic pillar thing" that you could also use to fit the flashcubes on to raise it up - also owned a 126 at some point...

Flashcubes.....gaawwwd, I remember those.

shotokan101

Banned
yeah PITA - you always thought you had "one left on it" when you didn't LOL

My Dad gave me a Minolta Maxxum 7000 with a 28mm f2.8 in 1988 when I was 11.

I had it right up until the turn of the century and although I'd owned a few other cameras since owning it the 7000 had become a good friend until American Airlines lost it on the way back from New York in 2001....I was gutted.

snerkler

Distinguished Member
I remember a really early film camera I had when I was really little! Probably kodak.

First digital camera was probably some Sony Cyber-shot ~3MP - not this exact model - in my teens

View attachment 478552

The first camera I had when I got into photography was Sony A580 and that was only a 2-3 years ago.
I had a sony like that as my first digital camera. My first camera that I can remember was the Nikon RD2.

bobbymax

yeah PITA - you always thought you had "one left on it" when you didn't LOL
Yup remember them well, my one opened up like a lady's fan.

shotokan101

Banned
Yup remember them well, my one opened up like a lady's fan.

Ooh Err Missus' Now Then Now Then... :eek:

I think you're thinking of a flashbulb reflector maybe :)

shotokan101

Banned
.....had to stop another "FTFY" there..... :devil:

bobbymax

Ooh Err Missus' Now Then Now Then... :eek:

I think you're thinking of a flashbulb reflector maybe :)

Correct, :) isn't that what peeps were on about?

shotokan101

Banned

Faldrax

First Camera - can't really remember, some cheap rubbish (it took flash cubes though :( ).
First SLR - My grandfathers Zeiss Ikon Contaflex - full manual (separate light meeter needed), 50 f/2.8 lens, could capture beautiful images (when I got it right), but hard work as I didn't really know what I was doing!
First Digital Camera - A 1.3Mp 'bridge' (Olympus, I think).
First DSLR - Sony A200

plloydie

A zenit/zenith 35mm given to me by an elderly neighbour back in the mid 70's I cannot remember the model number. As I was still at school I couldn't afford to buy the film and have the processing done very often. Two years ago whilst clearing out my late fathers attic I came across a film canister with a used film inside and had it developed. The film was ok and it was one I had taken approximately 35 years ago (judging by the age of my siblings) for seaside snaps I have to say they weren't too bad.

danhearn94

Standard Member
I was given a little fixed focus film camera when I was about 6 and subsequently given an Olympus Stylus 410 at about 12. Amazing little camera and has lead to many an expensive upgrade since. As always, the optimal number of cameras in one's bag is N+1....

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Marantz set to launch new Cinema Series of AV receivers