First Camera for a young child

BrianC

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm after a cheap camera for my 5 year old twins to use. They have had (supervised) use of my camera and I think its time they had their own. The camera must be able to survive being dropped. I've looked at the ones that Early Learning do but is there anything better? A memory card slot would be almost essential as the camera would be mainly used when we go on holiday.

My girlfriend bought her 3-year-old one of these: http://www.elc.co.uk/toy-41401

Picture quality is pretty terrible (see attached image, which is fairly typical), but she enjoys using it, looking at the pictures on the PC and having them emailed to relatives. Importantly, it also stops her demanding to use one of our "proper" cameras!

Cheers,
Liam

Attachments

• photo_13.jpg
    photo_13.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 79
Thats the one I was thinking of getting them and the picture quality doesn't look as bad as I was expecting. How many shots can she take before the memory gets used up?

Cool, was looking at one of those too :)

Pic quality isn't great but good enough for her, also has 2 viewfinders so she can use it easier :) Oh and as you say will stop them asking to use yours ;)

I got one from an Empire Stores promotion for £20. Pretty bulky but 3mp and no optical zoom (nothing to get snapped off/twisted).

You should be able to pick up a simple P&S off ebay for around £50 i'd have thought.

BrianC said:
Thats the one I was thinking of getting them and the picture quality doesn't look as bad as I was expecting. How many shots can she take before the memory gets used up?
It's 60 pictures in 8Mb, although it claims you can add a SD card (I haven't checked, but if it's true then any old SD card is going to give you more storage than you can ever use!).

It comes with simple software that even her mum can use!

Cheers,
Liam

richard plumb said:
I got one from an Empire Stores promotion for £20. Pretty bulky but 3mp and no optical zoom (nothing to get snapped off/twisted).

You should be able to pick up a simple P&S off ebay for around £50 i'd have thought.

But would it take being dropped onto concrete? As that's bound to happen with my two.

lmccauley said:
It's 60 pictures in 8Mb, although it claims you can add a SD card (I haven't checked, but if it's true then any old SD card is going to give you more storage than you can ever use!).

It comes with simple software that even her mum can use!

Cheers,
Liam

Thanks!

my lad uses a sony dsc-v1 (he's 6 now, but used it last year on holiday)

he knows the value of things, and what would happen if he dropepd it ;)

likewise with looking after dvd's, computer cd's, monitor, etc. he even cleans the dvd before and after using it :lesson:

Its the same with my two, they have been using my Powershot S70 (cheap by most peoples standards but expensive by mine) but I would never trust them to carry it far out of the case or run round with it. I want a camera they can have fun with, one I don't have to worry if they have dropped it, one they can use unsupervised.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom