1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Camcorder and a little help needed

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Litchfield, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Litchfield

Litchfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought my first camcorder a Panasonic NV-GS1B and I would like to download my video to my PC for editing. Could anybody please tell me what I need any where to get it, I'm running XP with a free USB. Also apart from the hardware cables needed what a good editing software to start with? Is the Movie Maker that comes with XP any good?
    Any answers would be great, Cheers all

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    To get your video onto the PC you will need to get a firewire card installed (USB is too slow to capture full quality video). This card is normally supplied with a cable for connecting camcorder to PC. If not then you will need to get a 6pin to 4pin firewire cable.
    A very good basic editing suite is Pinnicle Studio 8. It will allow you to capture, edit, add titles and transitions etc. and does not cost too much.
    XP's movie maker is VERY basic but Micro$oft have a second edition (beta version) that can be downloaded from their web site that has a few improvements and additional features.

Take a look at www.dabs.com or www.ebuyer.co.uk

Mark.

3. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to back up what mark said MS Movie Maker 2 is actually released now, and free (ooh!) on their website..

I've looked at it briefly, and combined with window encoder 9, the quality of the files (wmvs) from camcorder caps are pretty good.

And studio 8 does seem to be a good app to at least start with, there are many more if you later decide you need a bit more flexibility.

4. scott69

scott69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my first cam before xmas (Panasonic GX7)and wanted to do basic editing on my PC. I got a firewire card including cable from dabs.com for £13.00 (inc del). I also invested in pinnacle studio 8, which is perfect for my needs and surprisingly easy to use.

5. aliz

aliz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can u give me a direct link to that fire wire card,i can't find it on dabs. wow owning a cam is gettin more expensive lol i still need to get a tripod and other stuff.

6. FlyingFish

FlyingFish
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the same card from Dabs too. Inexpensive and does the job.

Here are the quicklinx no.s

179GWS (£11)

17ZKWS (£18)

I bought the second one, it came with cyberlink software ( bit limited ).

Its actually this product http://www.ivmm.com/innodv/products_dv1000.html

Mick

7. aliz

aliz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for that,thats brilliant. i'll get that now,all i need now is a tripod and you can start calling me spielberg,lol.

8. Litchfield

Litchfield

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for all the replys I'll be getting myself a firewire card and cable asap. Software wise at the moment I'm playing with Dazzles DVD Complete and MGI Video Wave.