First Build in 5 years - Photo editing media server?

Jones

So, my machine's slowly dying a death. One hard drive down, the other failing. Figure it's worth looking at something newer rather than purchasing a replacement EIDE drive!

But its been years since I last looked at specs. I'm happy building my own - I just don't know what I'm looking at - and you guys seem like knowledgeable folks.

So, looking for cheap as chips (<£400), no need for a monitor or accessories. What do I want it to do? Well, photo storage (RAW files) and editing (Lightroom and Photoshop) is the main job, other than the general net stuff that any old heap can do.

The only other job is media storage and occasional media server, wirelessly pushed to my Xbox. So a ton of storage space would be nice (2 x 500GB?). Oh, and football manager - which can only run better than on this thing...

Any thoughts? A prod in the right direction would be great...

superdon

I had similar specifications to yourself, and ended up order the folllowing. About to build it over the weekend....

CoolerMaster Elite 333 Black Case With CM eXtreme Power 460W PSU

Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB Hard Drive SATAII *32MB Cache* - OEM

Crucial 4GB (2X2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 Ballistix Memory

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition, Deneb, S AM2+, 3.0GHz, 8MB Total Cache, HT 2000MHz, 125W,

Biostar TA790GX XE, AMD 790GX, AM2+, PCI-E 2.0 (x16), DDR2 1066/800/667, SATA 3GB/s, SATA RAID, uATX

New SATA DVD Writer

Came in at just under £400 delivered, after shopping around and a bit of haggling.

The latest video from AVForums

65-inch LG C1 Review coming soon to AVForums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom