• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

First Build help

Sonk

Standard Member
Hi guys,

This is the first build I've ever done so looking for all the help and guidance on the subject. I'm hoping to build a modest gaming system, nothing too fancy though I just want to have most games available to me. So here's the set up I plan so far:

Motherboard: MSI 870A-G54 Socket AM3 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard | Ebuyer.com

CPU : AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition 3.2GHz Socket AM3.. | Ebuyer.com or AMD Phenom II X4 840 Socket AM3 3.2GHz 2MB Cache.. | Ebuyer.com

GPU: Scan.co.uk: XFX HD 5770 AMD / ATI Graphics Card with IP-5X fan, Eyefinity, Single Slot - 1GB - HD-577X-ZMF3

RAM: Scan.co.uk: Corsair Memory XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 9 XMP Dual Channel Desktop - CMX4GX3M2A1600C9

HDD: Scan.co.uk: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 7K2000 Hard Drive - HDD - 0F10383

and for the PSU would it be sufficient to buy a case/psu bundle similar to Casecom 7720 Black Mid Tower Case with 450W 24pin SATA.. | Ebuyer.com with a 450-500W psu?

Is this setup ok? also are there any overkill or weak components compared to the others? I'm not confident in this area so any and all help will be greatly appreciated, especially if you have any part replacement recommendations

Thanks

Sonk

Standard Member
The PSU was one of my main concerns, i'l look into it a bit more then! not too bothered about the HDD though as i'l probably just wait until I can get a good deal on a Seagate or WD drive.

Do you think the gpu is a bit too much though? was wondering if i could take it down a peg to save myself some money

aljowen

Established Member
The PSU was one of my main concerns, i'l look into it a bit more then! not too bothered about the HDD though as i'l probably just wait until I can get a good deal on a Seagate or WD drive.

Do you think the gpu is a bit too much though? was wondering if i could take it down a peg to save myself some money

It depends how modest you want to go that card will probably run modern most modern games well a cheaper one may do as well if you want to play sim sity4 or minecraft that graphics card may be slight over kill if your playing crisis i wouldnt go much lower than that if you want to run it at gamer settings with 2x AA

Just take a look here: XFX Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Review

EDIT: that quad core processor isn't actually a phenom, its a re-branded Athlon processor because amd realized that it could do just as well as the low end phenom processors. Which is why they are so cheap

Last edited:

aljowen

Established Member
Oh and by the way i have that hard drive sitting in my room ready for when i build my pc. So im currently hoping for the best. But don't expect fancy packaging it came in a silver foil bag (not really foil more silver metal bag) to keep magnetic radiation away from it and a sticker telling me what it is!

Sonk

Standard Member
Thank you for all the help, it's greatly appreciated!

I was planning on the dual core 555 as it's gotten a lot of good reviews but thought i'd mention the quad to see if its recommended. I'm not too afraid of choosing and fitting the hard drive so simple boxing is all fine, its more choosing the right mobo, gpu, psu and cpu combination. I don't want to waste my money due to a limited budget but i also don't want to choke the performance with one cheap part for the sake of £20

I think i have a really good idea of what i'm going to go with now, still got a few weeks before i start though so fingers crossed i can get a good deal on one of the components or a better one that's reduced to my price bracket!. Thinking for the case and psu unit i'm going to wait it out for a deal on a good make (Antec, Corsair etc). i assume 500W is enough for the system with some headspace?

aljowen

Established Member
Thank you for all the help, it's greatly appreciated!

I was planning on the dual core 555 as it's gotten a lot of good reviews but thought i'd mention the quad to see if its recommended. I'm not too afraid of choosing and fitting the hard drive so simple boxing is all fine, its more choosing the right mobo, gpu, psu and cpu combination. I don't want to waste my money due to a limited budget but i also don't want to choke the performance with one cheap part for the sake of £20

I think i have a really good idea of what i'm going to go with now, still got a few weeks before i start though so fingers crossed i can get a good deal on one of the components or a better one that's reduced to my price bracket!. Thinking for the case and psu unit i'm going to wait it out for a deal on a good make (Antec, Corsair etc). i assume 500W is enough for the system with some headspace?

went on the enermax PSU calculator and it came to a few watts over 500 with a much higher end CPU than yours and a sound blaster audio card with everything running at 100% to account for any component upgrades so 500w should be enough because they usaly over compensate for you anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom