First build, Core2 E6300 or AMD X2 3800+ ??

Digihoho

Novice Member
Hi,
It 's time for me to upgrade from my old P3 800 to a new computer, and with AMD recent price cuts and the new Intel Core 2 cpu, I am gonna attempt my first build. Budget is limited, so the cpu is gonna be either AMD AM2 Dual core 3800+ or the Core 2 E6300. This pc is gonna be mainly used for surfing, downloading music and video and Photo editing! I am undecided whether to go for the new entry level Intel or the AMD x2 3800+. Since I am starting from scratch, I have been adviced to go for the newer Intel platform rather than the older AMD offering, also it is also more capble in the overclocking front, which I would like to attempt later. Any advice much appreciated!

zedzed

E6300 is the way to go - esp. if you're going to try some overclocking later. The only downside is the costs - if you want a decent o/c motherboard for a conroe then it'll probably cost £100+

That said ... a dual core 3800 (make sure you get an AM2 socket motherboard) will still be so much faster than ur P3 that you'll be delighted :)

Dez

mjn

Distinguished Member
mikeyparkster said:
but isn't conroe going to cost like £500?
Only for the top end CPU's.

WelshBluebird

Novice Member
mikeyparkster said:
but isn't conroe going to cost like £500?
only if you if you want the E6700 or X6800 (which IMHO, theres no point in getting anyway).
The E6600 (which is faster than the FX 62) is around £220
The E6400 (which is only just slower than the FX 62) is around £150
The E6300 (which is probably equal to a X2 4300 if one existed or X2 4400) is around £125.

Then you've got the E6700 at £360 ish, and the extreme edition x6800 at £700.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
Go for the E6300 :smashin:

which is an Allendale not Conroe btw :p

WelshBluebird

Novice Member
pRot3us said:
Go for the E6300 :smashin:

which is an Allendale not Conroe btw :p
From what I've read, the E6300 and E6400 are actually conroe. The E6300, E6400, E6600, E6700 and X6800 are all exactly the same except for clockspeed, and the E6300 and E6400 have half the cache disabled.
Allendale is the name for the E4xxx series of chips out Q1 2007, which have 2MB cache nativaly, with a 800Mhz FSB.

I may well be wrong though, but thats what I thought.

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
If you look at any suppliers website they list the E6300 and E6400 as 'Allendale' and the E6600,E6700 and X6800 as 'Conroe' ;)

Downinja

If we are gonna be anal about it, technically the 6300 is allendale, but the only difference between the allendale cores and the conroes it the cache.

Digihoho

Novice Member
Yeah, thanks for all the replies, I am going the Intel route, was originally going to buy AMD X2 3800+ after the price drop, but heard so much about this new Core2 cpu. My budget is only going to be £500 for whole system minus monitor (keeping old Sony 15" Lcd for the time being!) Anyway, I am going to buy the Gigabyte 965DS3 mobo(£95), heard that this is a good mobo to partner the E6300. Abit confused with RAM selection, don't have much to spend on top end Rams, so is the £70 Corsair XMS DDR800 Twin (2x512MB) ok? Or do I need super fast low latency........ones inorder to do abit overclocking later? Another question I need to ask you guys is that I have also purchased a Silverpower SP400 (400W) PSU having read in Computer Shopper that this is a good budget PSU. Is 400W sufficient for the above cpu/mobo combination?? Thanks in advance for your help! Cheers!

pRot3us

Distinguished Member
The Geil 6400 Ultra ram is great :smashin: see here

As for the PSU 400w its towards the lower end of the requirements for newer systems but you may be ok. Try entering your system details into this PSU calculator . It should give you some idea of your power requirements :smashin:

Digihoho

Novice Member
pRot3us said:
The Geil 6400 Ultra ram is great :smashin: see here

As for the PSU 400w its towards the lower end of the requirements for newer systems but you may be ok. Try entering your system details into this PSU calculator . It should give you some idea of your power requirements :smashin:
Hi, Could I get away with just 1GB (2x512mb) of ram, since my budget for the rams is only GBP70!! :( had a quick poke at the PSU calculator, I may just get away with 400W! Again, down to budget, GBP23 for this psu is cheap for me, cannt really afford to buy one of those higher wattage psu at GBP60 plus!:confused:

mjn

Distinguished Member
Digihoho said:
had a quick poke at the PSU calculator, I may just get away with 400W! Again, down to budget, GBP23 for this psu is cheap for me, cannt really afford to buy one of those higher wattage psu at GBP60 plus!:confused:

Make sure you buy a decent PSU, otherwise you could end up with loads of problems. The current that PSU's produce is just as important as the wattage. Take a look at the Tagan, OCZ and Seasonic PSU's.