Question First AV Set up

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by GazzerG, Jun 12, 2018.

Tags:
  1. GazzerG

GazzerG
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi All
    Very new to all of this and found myself getting buried in all the info available. I'm just looking for any opinions on my first set up.
    2 x QAcoustic 3010 (with 1 set of stands)
    1 x 3090C
    Denon AVR-X2400H
    with about £500 set aside for a sub, which I cant decide on yet :confused: SVS or BK.
    Total budget of around £1300

I do have the Yamaha soundbar YSP2700, but just lacks a bit in the movie watching department, so was hoping the above would be more of an improvement....

Thanks for any of your opinions

2. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,168
    The speakers will pretty much match the 2400 so no problems there. No mention of surrounds but you must really have them to fully appreciate 5.1. Any 5.1 set up will simply blow a soundbar out of the water, you can't even compare them.

3. Crafty

Crafty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Upgrade the fronts to 3020s, for the price difference the consensus is its worth it.

I run 3020 fronts / 3010 rears with a BK P12-300 (about £330 for a grade b from ebay) and am very happy with the setup, I've not heard your soundbar but it should be significantly better.

4. GazzerG

GazzerG
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply Gibbsy, and thanks for confirming I'm not wasting money ditching the soundbar :D
    Sorry, 2x 3010 was meant to be 2 pairs. I was going with 1 pair of 3020 and 1 pair 3010, but given the extra cash I'm splashing on my sub, i dont see it being worth it?
    I'm now in the process of trawling through all the subwoofer posts trying to come to a decision :confused:

5. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,168
    I think the choice of sub is sometimes dictated by the possible positions which can effect the size that you can go for. BK subs are certainly well respected and pack a formidable performance for their price. I went for REL as they are considered more musical than most and my T5 has not missed a beat in just over six years. Be careful not to get one that will overpower the whole system, a BK Gemini may suit or the more powerful XLS200DF, certainly no more powerful than those.

6. GazzerG

GazzerG
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thx again Gibbsy, also Crafty for your reply. Think I will upgrade the fronts anyway :smashin:

The sub will be placed under the window, where my little Yamaha sub is now....Room is about 3.5 x 5mts
    IMG_1081.JPG
    [​IMG]

7. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Sorry to pick on this, but i think most of people would disagree with this who has experience with larger subs. :) Example BK P12-300SB (sealed 12") blended perfectly with the Elipson Planet M sats (4" mid-bass drivers) using 90hz crossovers at AVForums review. Focal Sib Evo`s at AVSF review, the system went to another level with dual JL Audio F112s (12" 1800w). Yep cost wise crazy expensive vs. speakers, but shows again the point! And QA 3020 is basically same size as Focals, normal standmount speakers with 5" mid-bass driver. There is many similar stories with B&W M1s, KEF Eggs etc.

Most of people end up upgrading subwoofer at some point cause the small one just doesn`t cut it with movies. There is not enough output where it would be needed most, example action/scifi movies around 20-36hz as SVS points out. One doesn`t need to crank the system mega loud to notice the better extension & output of the larger sub. Even listening moderate levels jumping from sealed 10" to ported 12" opens up new world for some! And one can always control the SW level via menu. Placing it optimally and having some kind of eq for the low frequencies (area where it`s needed the most usually) is another key point.

Example REL T5 measured -3db point 43hz, 6db down at 34hz. Now room gain (small room) might help it perform slightly better, but still it`s lacking quite a bit if one wants real cinematic experience able to hear most of rumbles. Think of small subwoofer at it`s limits down low there is not enough output anymore to produce those sounds, it get`s weaker the lower it plays. Of course if one is fine with that, then it`s ok.

I have owned Gemini II and still think it`s great for the money (in small rooms) if one understands the limits of it. But if one has 500£ budget for subwoofer (like OP) and enjoys blockbusters (who wouldn`t?) i think there is much better choices available than these two mentioned to be partnered with QA`s.

I hope you didn`t take this as an attack, just that i don´t really see any problem with normal bookshelf speakers with 5" drivers (QA`s) and slightly larger sub. :) Most of times it will make the system sound much better! :smashin:

8. GazzerG

GazzerG
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the comments Gasp, I dont suppose you fancy throwing a couple of recommendations in the hat? :)

9. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Well now seeing your room and the corner tv placement, subwoofer is least of your worries. :(
    The corner placement is probably poorest you can have. Front three would be squeezed together, you would also be listening the speakers slightly off-axis which isn`t ideal plus regular surround speakers would be very close to you, which means you would localize the effects too easily. Having the fireplace in small room makes things hard. I assume your wife/gf won`t let you swap the order of room so either the tv of sofa would go in front of window (center), depending what is at opposite side where you taken the first picture, second picture doesn`t show! I feel you are compromising too much if you put the speakers like you probably have imagined near the tv. It`s a lot of money to spend and you probably won`t be satisfied how it sounds... :(

10. B17NNS

B17NNS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
  11. GazzerG

GazzerG
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
  12. GazzerG

GazzerG
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Gasp, sadly no, no budging the wife on the tv placement :thumbsdow
    Room looks a tad smaller on the pics than what it is, but totally agree its not ideal. My plan was to put the surrounds in opposite corners, left corner in the top and bottom picture. My seating position is the bottom of the couch in the top pic. I know the room is far from ideal, I just wanted some improvement over the soundbar. I could persuade the wife to let me put some ceiling speakers in at some point, when I get around to decorating the bedroom above :)
    IMG_1100.JPG

13. gibbsy

gibbsy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,168
    @Gasp3621 I was also reading between the lines as to the physical size and the persuasion of the better half that the sub could be as much a life style choice. Bearing in mind the physical size of the speaker package a smaller sized sub was on my mind.

Now I've seen the photographs of the room then the sub is the least of the OP problems.

14. Gasp3621

Gasp3621

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +426
    Yep far from ideal. What i have seen here done by members is wall mounting the tv on top of fireplace / chimney breast, that would enable you to move the couch slightly to right more centered (not seen in the pic if possible as there is second door) and basically then you could place the front speakers more apart each other, plus the surround speakers would be more far away from the listener. But this might be hard to sell wife aswell. :(

If you were to go the route you have thought the front speakers would be so close each other and center speaker right in the mix, there would be no separation between those three basically. It would go against what the speaker manufacturers often recommends. But what might be even worse is that you would listen the speakers off-axis meaning the sound usually changes (especially with the horizontal MTM center channels), depending where one sits. I assume you would also place the center channel inside tv-cabinet which is another failure making it sound poor.

This is very tough situation. If using the corner placement i might swap the tv to right corner IF one could then angle the sofa so you would be straigth against the tv/speakers. But you have that comfy chair there and where it would go then..

I think there is a good reason why soundbars are often recommended in these kind of situations. But rather a passive one with higher quality. That would also mean raising the tv somehow as they are larger in height. Again placing any speaker inside of cabinet should be voided!

15. GazzerG

GazzerG
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for all the input. Looks like i need to go down a soundbar upgrade then :(

16. GazzerG

GazzerG
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    So guys, I know i shouldn't, but I did, and I got the above for a great price of £700, I also acquired a BK Electronics P12-300SB-DF Walnut 300W Amplifier Subwoofer for quite a bit cheaper than what it supposed to be. :)
    Now i know my room goes against everything that the purest say, but at the beginning i wanted something better than a soundbar... OMG it is! Nuff said. So any noobs who know as much as me.... do it, oh and spend the same on a sub :)

17. citywalker

citywalker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +130
    Now you just have to think how to make it even better :D

18. GazzerG

GazzerG
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: