Question First Atmos setup - Any speaker help appreciated!

Silkiano

Novice Member
Reaction score
Current setup = Denon AVR3500x (keeping) & Bose Acoustimass 6 (time for them to go to a new home!)
My objective is to get more out of the movies I watch (Blu Ray, Netflix etc.). Don't tend to listen to much music in this room.

Room is pretty simple and square - 4.7m length, 3.9m wide, 2.4m high. Wall mounted TV at one end of the room and sofa against the back wall (bay window behind the sofa so just enough room for rear speakers) so listening point will be almost 4.7m from centre and front speakers..
Was thinking of 5.1.2 and preferably don't want ceiling mounted .2 height speakers so have been looking at upfiring options.

Ideal budget is up to £800 so was looking at Focal Sib Evo 5.1.2 but saw a couple of critical reviews. Had a quick consideration for Wharfedale DX2 but don't think there are many options for upfiring add-ons for those. Latest I have been looking at is ELAC B5.2/B6.2 Debut 2.0 - perhaps 6.2 for front speakers and 5.2 for rear speakers (I guess once I've added centre, the sub and the Atmos speakers this will break the budget anyway!!). That said, I'm happy to find some used speakers if I need to improve quality without spending more.

So here are the questions I would really appreciate some help on:
1) General advice on speakers or packages within my range
2) Will I be able to get a good reflection far enough from the front speakers to the listening point with upfiring speakers?
3) How much do I need to worry about keeping the brand/design the same so that the sound matches/is compatible?

Hope someone can help! ;)

Have a look at used speaker packages for better quality speakers in your range.

2) Will I be able to get a good reflection far enough from the front speakers to the listening point with upfiring speakers?

As long as your ceiling is flat and even there should be no issues, however, it is limiting your options only going for this type.
Other options are in-ceiling, on-ceiling or side wall mounted or, probably least desirably, front wall mounted above your F/L and F/R and pointing slightly down towards your listening position.

3) How much do I need to worry about keeping the brand/design the same so that the sound matches/is compatible?

The entire package doesn't have to match. You don't need all 7 speakers and sub from the same range.
Your front 3 are most important, they should all match each other.
Your rear surrounds should match each other and ideally be the same manufacturer but can be a lower range/smaller.
Atmos speakers can be pretty much anything.

Being realistic, anything decent is going to beat your Bose system.

You don't need to buy everything all at once. You could buy the front 3 just now and use the Bose speakers for the rear surrounds and Atmos to start you off, giving you a larger budget for your front 3 and then the rest when finances allow.
The Bose will probably be fine for Atmos permanantly.

I don't have any experience of the Focal Sib package, but it is a sub/sat system so while much better than your Bose speakers is still more geared up for a small space. Personally, I think you'd be better going with bookshelf type speakers for a larger sound.

The Elac is a nice package but about £300 above your price range. Again though nothing to stop your from starting off with the front 3 and building as time and money allow.

Have a look at used speaker packages for better quality speakers in your range.

As long as your ceiling is flat and even there should be no issues, however, it is limiting your options only going for this type.
Other options are in-ceiling, on-ceiling or side wall mounted or, probably least desirably, front wall mounted above your F/L and F/R and pointing slightly down towards your listening position.

The entire package doesn't have to match. You don't need all 7 speakers and sub from the same range.
Your front 3 are most important, they should all match each other.
Your rear surrounds should match each other and ideally be the same manufacturer but can be a lower range/smaller.
Atmos speakers can be pretty much anything.

Being realistic, anything decent is going to beat your Bose system.

You don't need to buy everything all at once. You could buy the front 3 just now and use the Bose speakers for the rear surrounds and Atmos to start you off, giving you a larger budget for your front 3 and then the rest when finances allow.
The Bose will probably be fine for Atmos permanantly.

I don't have any experience of the Focal Sib package, but it is a sub/sat system so while much better than your Bose speakers is still more geared up for a small space. Personally, I think you'd be better going with bookshelf type speakers for a larger sound.

The Elac is a nice package but about £300 above your price range. Again though nothing to stop your from starting off with the front 3 and building as time and money allow.
Thanks for the reply.
I hadn't considered the side wall-mounted option so will take a look.
My previous research (a while ago) concluded that I couldn't use the Bose cubes directly with a receiver but I have changed my receiver since then so would have to double-check the Ohm rating etc.
"Being realistic, anything decent is going to beat your Bose system." I don't disagree with this :) They were a wedding gift and so couldn't complain much at the time!

I will focus my budget on the front 3 as you say, and I will then look at rears and Atmos. There is somebody willing to take my Bose system off my hands so may well keep them as a package rather than use the cubes. I will think about it though.

You may very well be better off keeping the Bose as a complete system to sell on, which makes a package for speakers a good entry point. Easy to upgrade in future. As for Atmos modules they have got better over the last few years with Elac producing two affordable speakers, avoid the Onkyos.

I used Bose Acoustimass satellites as side surrounds as a test for a short while, they really weren't suitable.

My processor set the crossover for them at 250Hz which just happens to be as high as it goes. Measuring them showed that they weren't even getting to that and were rolling off at about 300Hz.

Because they have the sub in-line they don't handle even lower-mid range well. I swapped them out for a pair of Cambridge Minx 22s which are doing a great job and are a very similar size.

Current setup = Denon AVR3500x (keeping) & Bose Acoustimass 6 (time for them to go to a new home!)
My objective is to get more out of the movies I watch (Blu Ray, Netflix etc.). Don't tend to listen to much music in this room.

Room is pretty simple and square - 4.7m length, 3.9m wide, 2.4m high. Wall mounted TV at one end of the room and sofa against the back wall (bay window behind the sofa so just enough room for rear speakers) so listening point will be almost 4.7m from centre and front speakers..
Was thinking of 5.1.2 and preferably don't want ceiling mounted .2 height speakers so have been looking at upfiring options.

Ideal budget is up to £800 so was looking at Focal Sib Evo 5.1.2 but saw a couple of critical reviews. Had a quick consideration for Wharfedale DX2 but don't think there are many options for upfiring add-ons for those. Latest I have been looking at is ELAC B5.2/B6.2 Debut 2.0 - perhaps 6.2 for front speakers and 5.2 for rear speakers (I guess once I've added centre, the sub and the Atmos speakers this will break the budget anyway!!). That said, I'm happy to find some used speakers if I need to improve quality without spending more.

So here are the questions I would really appreciate some help on:

Hope someone can help! ;)
Also forgot to ask - If I went for (say) the Elac 6.2 with centre and rears, what is the guidance on whether I would need a sub or not. In other words is there a rule of thumb/threshold where you get decent enough floor standers or stand mounts that you avoid the need for a sub? Or is it personal preference/go have a listen etc?

You may very well be better off keeping the Bose as a complete system to sell on, which makes a package for speakers a good entry point. Easy to upgrade in future. As for Atmos modules they have got better over the last few years with Elac producing two affordable speakers, avoid the Onkyos.
Thanks - I tend to agree with the package thing. Even though I won't get a lot back for them, it is a good package for someone.

I too read a couple of bad things about the Onkyo's but never heard them (assuming you mean the SKH-410-B).

I used Bose Acoustimass satellites as side surrounds as a test for a short while, they really weren't suitable.

My processor set the crossover for them at 250Hz which just happens to be as high as it goes. Measuring them showed that they weren't even getting to that and were rolling off at about 300Hz.

Because they have the sub in-line they don't handle even lower-mid range well. I swapped them out for a pair of Cambridge Minx 22s which are doing a great job and are a very similar size.
I looked at the Minx earlier. Do you use these mounted at height i.e. for Atmos?

I looked at the Minx earlier. Do you use these mounted at height i.e. for Atmos?

Nope, side surrounds. They sit nicely on their sides on top of my acoustic panels.

Also forgot to ask - If I went for (say) the Elac 6.2 with centre and rears, what is the guidance on whether I would need a sub or not. In other words is there a rule of thumb/threshold where you get decent enough floor standers or stand mounts that you avoid the need for a sub? Or is it personal preference/go have a listen etc?

Definitely sub or two (later) as your use is fully movies! The problem is your tight budget and you don`t want to buy any junk either. So if it´s question to getting everything right away or saving few months to get something better, pick the latter! You should have at least +300£ budget for the sub. Everyone is hyping the atmos now, but personally i would start with 3.1 if that would allow to get good sub. Which ever feels best for you. If you go with Elac 6.2s pick the larger 6.2C also! They should be good speakers, very popular in US cause Andrew Jones is behind them. Elac isn`t as popular in UK yet, but i think it´s only matter of time as What Hifi already gives 5stars to them. ;) One caveat could be the rather boring look/finish compared to Q Acoustics/Monitor Audio.

I use Minx 12's for Atmos duties. They're very good for it and quite a few forum members do as well.
You can get a swivel mount for them so they can easily be wall or ceiling mounted.

I'd also agree with the above. It seems when you read these types of threads, many want to rush in and get Atmos speakers straight away.

If you're on a budget and need to do it over time, start off with your front 3, then a sub, then your rear surrounds and finally Atmos. The Atmos are the least used speakers, the front 3 and the sub the most used with the surrounds in the middle.

This might be a silly question but just starting to get my head around Atmos.

just looking at your Amp, the AVR3500 doesn’t appear to support speaker inputs for height (TFL/TFR etc), I assumed this was required for the object tracking?

This might be a silly question but just starting to get my head around Atmos.

just looking at your Amp, the AVR3500 doesn’t appear to support speaker inputs for height (TFL/TFR etc), I assumed this was required for the object tracking?
The Surround Back output is assignable so can be used for Atmos Upfiring, Front Heights, Top Middle or Top Front.

It's a 7.2 channel receiver with Atmos/DTS:X

You can either configure it as 7.1 or 5.1.2 (or have dual subs as it's 7.2)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom