First amp and speaker purchase

Member 351202

Hello all,
Sorry if this gets asked everyday :) but im after someone to hold my hands through the amp and speaker buying process.
It's time to upgrade my AV gear, well more starting from scratch. I plan to purchase a new TV sometime in the next few months, have my eye on the new Philips range just waiting for some reviews.
I will probably go for a 3D TV but simply because most new TV’s seem to come with this anyway but 3D is not that important to me.

Now as I don’t understand enough about the mystical world of amps and speakers I thought I would ask here.

I’m after an amp to connect various gadgets to.
I have a network media player, set top box and xbox 360 all of these use HDMI
I don’t actually have the HD setup box yet I will probably be getting the new vbox from virgin.

So that is 3 HDMI inputs required but (if money allows it) perhaps it would be wise to have 4 HDMI inputs so 1 is spare for the future. If not it’s no biggie if the amp also comes with component I can connect some of my devices via that.

As whatever TV I get will have HDMI 1.4 I’m thinking it would be handy to have an amp that also uses HDMI 1.4

Also connected to the amp will (hopefully) be a Sonos Zoneplayer 90 but I am unsure what connection that will use.

I also wish to have 5.1 surround sound.

So basically I need an amp and speakers.

As I have a media player it would be handy if the amp supported a lot of the HD audio formats so I get the most from my dvd/bluray rips that have HD audio. I would also like (and I may have this wrong) to be able to use the speakers on the TV to output sound if the amp is turned off or in standby so I think I’m looking for some form of pass through. The reason for this is if I’m watching the news or just want some background noise I don’t want all my speakers chucking out noise.

Now I’m am far from an audiophile so my budget is fairly low but I expect if needed I can go a little extra if it’s going to make that much of a difference.

So on a budget on roughly £500 could anyone suggest a setup (amp and speakers) that may suit my requirements or am I being unrealistic?

Thanks in advance – any questions just ask.

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
The onkyo 508 is HDMI 1.4, and has 4 HDMI ins.

Onkyo TXSR508 Black | AV Receiver With HDMI Interface | Richer Sounds

you could pair this with the Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers for £200

Tannoy SFX5.1 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

If you could step up the extra £100 for these speaker, it would be well worth it. You may be able to get them for £280 if you join the free Richer sounds VIP club.

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/q-acoustics/1010i-5.1/qaco-1010i-5.1-pack

Last edited:

Member 351202

Thank you for the advice i was looking at the Onkyo range today - do you think its worth spending a little extra and getting the ONKYO TXSR578?

Nothing like having a budget and going over it within 2 posts :)

Passingbat

Distinguished Member
do you think its worth spending a little extra and getting the ONKYO TXSR578?

If you have any analogue video inputs, such as the Wii or a DVD player that connects via component, then the 578 would be a good choice as it does video upconversion and wahtever the video input to the amp, you only need the one HDMI out from amp to TV. With the 508, you'd need as many connections as you have different video type inputs.

it also upscales analogue video, wheras the 508 doesn't. But, at this level of amp (and ones above that), your TV will do just as good a job of video upscaling of analogue inputs.

Getting the QA speakers over the Tannoy ones will give you a far better system with the 508 (which you will hear), than getting the 578 with the tannoy speakers.

logiciel

I will probably go for a 3D TV but simply because most new TV’s seem to come with this anyway
perhaps it would be wise to have 4 HDMI inputs so 1 is spare for the future
As whatever TV I get will have HDMI 1.4 I’m thinking it would be handy to have an amp that also uses HDMI 1.4
I think I’m looking for some form of pass through. The reason for this is....I don’t want all my speakers chucking out noise.
3D TVs have only just come on the market, so I'd dispute that "most"! I haven't see ONE yet.
I have a relatively simple audio/video system, and a receiver with six HDMIs, and am already needing more. I think the future has a lot more to offer, and will therefore have more needs.
I don't see much advantage in HDMI4 though, or again that many TVs need it.
My amplifier does allow passthrough, but it's never used. Its volume control allows for all levels of all types of sound source.
It's an Onkyo 607 and I strongly recommend it as suitable for your needs.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom