First Among Equals - The Laurie Cunningham Story

Discussion in 'Football' started by SteveAWOL, Mar 7, 2013.

1. SteveAWOL

SteveAWOL
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,153
    Might be of interest to some of you too:

First Among Equals - The Laurie Cunningham Story | itvplayer

Laurie Cunningham: Tragic tale of the former Manchester United player who amazed Real Madrid - The Independent

Laurie Cunningham: The unfulfilled talent of Manchester United and Real Madrid | Mail Online

Laurie Cunningham was 'as good as Ronaldo' Spain boss Del Bosque tells ITV | UEFA Champions League - ITV Sport
    I must admit to having known nowt about Cunningham but looks like he was one heck of a player and a very brave man to have played in front of such hostile racist crowds.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  2. clydebest

clydebest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,348
    Lucky enough to have seen him playing in a very good WBA side along with Batson and Regis the Three Amigos.It was at the time of the worst of racism from the terraces,very talanted player, but like many such talented players unable to replicate it when playing for England.

3. Dony

Dony
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,151
    Were'nt they actually known as The 3 Degrees?

Laurie Cunningham was one of my 1st footballing hero's (due to having the same name and playing in the similar positions), and the reason Real are still my favourite Spanish team. I've got the programme taped to watch when I get home from work.

I always thought Viv Anderson was the first black player to play for England.

4. RBZ5416

RBZ5416
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,286
    Yes.

Anderson was the first at full international, Cunningham the first at any level (U-21).

From what I recall of his England career it was blighted (like several others) by Ron Greenwood's favourites. It didn't matter how good you were if you weren't one of Ron's boys. :(

5. clydebest

clydebest
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,348
    My mistake I will put it down to old age , but the fact is just got it wrong, like yourselves I thought Anderson was first Black player at full international level.:facepalm:

6. thfccambs

thfccambs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,898
    See Cunningham play a few times, WBA had a quality team back then.

7. Don Dadda

Don Dadda

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Enjoyed this documentary immensely. Cyril Regis hasn't aged a bit and looks the same since i last saw anything on him :D.

As a young boy from West Indian background growing up in the 70's in south London, racism was practically the norm in the sense that you would experience it at least once a day in some form or another, and that would of been a good day. Laurie, Cyril, Brendan, Vince Hilare and Clyde Best ( probably named the whole of the Football league Black footballing contingent of that era there) were true inspiration not only for myself but for a lot other folks at the time for all different reasons.

What those guys endured (as well as ours parents) week in, week out, even from some of their own fans, gave strength to many to overcome the racism that was around and plentiful then. And for the majority of us, the only way of safely seeing them play was on The Big Match.

The times i did see him play, thought he was fantastic, And even though i knew he went to Real Madrid, i didn't know that he was the 1st British player ever for them and that he was an even larger force in Spain than over here or so its seems.

Another 1st for me - Wimbledon FC. That was a shocker. Had no idea he played for them or even played in the cup final.

That documentary was great insight into Laurie and him, Clyde, Vince, Cyril, Brendan were the true pioneers of Black British footballers. Rio, Wellbeck, Sturridge and co, pay homage :).

I must confess my favorite player of that time was Liverpool's Terry McDermot. Boy could he lash some goals in. His volleys were spectacular.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013