Quantcast

First Air Filter Clean (gulp!)

Gillykid

Standard Member
Hi

After giving my AE500 a good run in, I have now managed to clock 100 hours in less than two weeks! :D

I intend to clean the filter as recommended and have had a search through the forums for tips, etc. After piecing suggestions together with the projectors instructions these are the steps I will probably take:

1) Clean the exterior of the projector (especially around the filter first)

2) Using a distant vacumn cleaner, to keep the dust away from the filter as you take it out.

3) Pick off big lumps of dust then run the filter through a bowl of water (worrying part!!)

4) Dry the filter and Re-insert

5) Clean the lens with a camera lens cloth...

How does this sound - about right? The vacumn cleaner seems a bit odd to me, as does the bowl of water! What do you guys do?

Cheers

G

jimcarney

I dont have that much trouble cleaning my Philips just slide out the filter holder every 100 hours and with a Dyson at a safe distance i.e. dont suck it in to the Dyson . Jim

jimcarney

I dont have that much trouble cleaning my Philips just slide out the filter holder every 100 hours and with a Dyson at a safe distance i.e. dont suck it in to the Dyson . Jim

jimcarney

I dont have that much trouble cleaning my Philips just slide out the filter holder every 100 hours and clean with a Dyson at a safe distance i.e. dont suck it in to the Dyson . Jim

jimcarney

I dont have that much trouble cleaning my Philips just slide out the filter holder every 100 hours and clean with a Dyson at a safe distance i.e. dont suck it in to the Dyson . Jim

jimcarney

jimcarney

I dont have that much trouble cleaning my Philips just slide out the filter holder every 100 hours and clean with a Dyson at a safe distance i.e. dont suck it in to the Dyson . Jim:thumbsup:

Jones

Novice Member
I think jimcarney doesn't have much difficulty cleaning his Philips, he just slides out the filter holder every 100 hours and cleans with a Dyson at a safe distance.

Gillykid

Standard Member
Originally posted by Jones
I think jimcarney doesn't have much difficulty cleaning his Philips, he just slides out the filter holder every 100 hours and cleans with a Dyson at a safe distance.
lol :rotfl:

Any other tips out there?

gizlaroc

Distinguished Member
Originally posted by Jones

:rotfl: Ha Ha Fukin'superb!!!

PM jimcarney, I am sure I read somewhere that he just slides his filter out and cleans it with a Dyson every 100hours or so, from a safe distance of course.

FIZZBIN2003

I've had my AE300 for three months now and have put about 45 hours on it so far so still a while off before my first clean - believe that the guidebook says after every 100 hours - but I too am a bit nervous about it.

Good to see I am not the only one - I will check back on the forums when the big day arrives.

Bit concerned to see mention of washing filter in bowl of water though - are you kidding?!?:eek:

D

dan_wade

have you got any pics of you taking your AE500 apart and cleaning it? Im getting up to a 100 hours use, and already have a small dust blob, so need to get inside and give it a clean.

Cheers,
Dan.

jimcarney

:oops: I kept losing connection when I posted that thread so I did not know if it had been posted Ill check the forum next time:suicide: Jim

Synchronicity

Im up to about 200 hours on my Z2 and havent cleaned the filter yet:(

Ive had no problems whatsoever yet and Im a bit reluctant to do anything in case it all goes horribly wrong;are there any indications that the filter needs to be changed or is it something that just has to be done,regardless?
Cheers,
JB:smashin:

D

Darryl D.

JB, reduced air flow from a clogged filter will affect cooling and presumably lamp life. It would be interesting to compare temperatures before and after a clean (not sure if you can do this on z2 but temp can be accessed on ae500 menu).

William123

Novice Member
Captain, I think JimCarney has made a very forceful case in the use of a Dyson. Not wanting to kick up any dust, I think Jim would say you might be invalidating your PJ guarantee if you used any lessser substitutes. :)

Q

Quatermass

Can anyone recommend a particular Dyson model for this job - is the DC07 up to the task or do you really need a DC11?

I also noticed that Sanyo make vacuum cleaners now – wonder if they will be bringing out a special tool/attachment for cleaning Z2 filters? :zonked:

Gillykid

Standard Member
For the record - first clean went well. Took the projector off the wall, used a vacumn (not a dyson ;) ) to help keep dust away as i lifted off the filter and gave it a good blow! Re-inserted, re-attached an all is well - no blobs in sight..... :clap: