First 5.1 bundle, would appreciate some advice

Bronzer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I've been going down the home theater rabbit hole recently. I'll be moving into a new home and it's already scope creeped to an OLED and to a 5.1 system...

I started off with receivers but I've noticed there's some big savings on the bundles vs buying separately (that I can see). I've narrowed it down to a few choices and was hoping for some opinions.

I can either have a Denon X1600H or Yamaha RX-V4A (with a cable pack) for the same price. So first question is are there any appreciable differences between the two?

Secondly I could get either of these with a Monitor Audio 50 pack (C-150 Center, FX rears, W10 sub). Or the Dali Spektor 6 setup. Links below.

And then final option is the Monitor Audio pack but with Bronze 100 speakers for £100 more.

Sorry for the long post, but any thoughts would be appreciated!

Can you post any pictures of new room or floorplan with some dimensions and to see where you have tv and couch located, and doors/windows. We see some less optimal system placements with corner tv´s etc. The FX speakers can´t go too close to corner as they shoot both direction so need to know can you leave 1-2feet from side/rear wall, depending will you mount them on side wall or rear wall.

The main differences between the receivers are Yamaha is 2020 model with 4x hdmi 2.1 inputs, one output so if you are gamer with new PS5/XBOX then this might intrest you more. But the Yamaha is also 5.1 model. The Denon X1600H is 2019 model so doesn´t come with latest hdmi connections (8K), however those aren´t necessarily required as you can connect console straight to tv as OLED probably has 2.1 connection, Denon has eARC so you get the sound. Denon is 7.2 model so there is support for Atmos/DTS:X if you want to create 5.1.2 system with upfiring/overhead/height channels.

There is some changes i would make to these packages, but it depends what is your max budget. Also you need speaker stands for the front mains if you go with standmount models (B50/B100).

Thank you for the info on the receivers. Personally they will be used for movies and not really gaming. So I expect the Denon is better in case I want to upgrade in future.

Here is a floor plan. I haven't got any issues re-aranging. I thought about having the TV (65")on the left wall, or maybe on the right and positioning the 3 seater in the middle to allow a pathway. Happy to take suggestions. It's not a big space.

1630051107423.png
1630051158500.png

I assumed putting the bookshelfs on the TV stand. But if they are better served on stands then I should budget them. I want to stay under £1600 including AVR and stands. I'm also aware the Monitor Audio rear speakers are wall mounted which needs a plan for.

You should also help out at your friendly local independent small family business dealers rather than large chain's websites, they should also be able to do a deal if you're buying everything together. After sales would also be easier without delivery assuming you have a car and don't mind driving.

Chances are slimmer that you have +2meter wide av-stand which has about 60cm height. Speaker stands (~600mm) often more ideal so you can find the best spot for mains, correct height etc.
I would like the right blue side better. More space for LCR to spread them apart 2-2,5meters (same distance from centre), also couch against rear wall is usually in the "don`t do" list as bass tends to build up near boundaries so it can muddy the sound. However the seat at dead middle usually is not recommended either due to big null (weak bass), unless the subwoofer placed nearfield. Can you move the couch higher against that top wall so you can then push it little bit more back without blocking the doorway for coming to room? One typical recommendation for main listening position would be 38% from rear wall length wise so as you see we are talking quite small differences vs. sitting dead middle of room. The left (red) one would work too if you can place the couch and tv more toward right so you get more space for the front three, not to place them each side of tv (=too narrow). And then just have the couch pushed little more forward from rear wall to optimize MLP. Hope you understood what i meant.

You didn´t notice that PT gives you same bundle deal price for X2700H and B50 package 1400£! :) That is quite a no brainer. Just need to know the couch position so is the FX ideal or not. You would buy it without the package sub. Probably 1200£ then. That would leave you 400£ to play with, ugh actually little bit less as you need the stands! You need to ask the price without W10 subwoofer, call them! Say you have subwoofer already and want to buy this package, give me price without W10!

For 410£ i would buy BK P12 sub which has been long time best bang for buck in this price range beating many 500-600£ products.

3 reviews when you scroll this site down:

You should also help out at your friendly local independent small family business dealers rather than large chain's websites, they should also be able to do a deal if you're buying everything together. After sales would also be easier without delivery assuming you have a car and don't mind driving.
Good idea. I've found a couple of local stores. They don't offer the same packages but they look to have the components. So I'll plan for now and then see if I can demo there and get a deal.

Good idea. I've found a couple of local stores. They don't offer the same packages but they look to have the components. So I'll plan for now and then see if I can demo there and get a deal.
What I found is the small family businesses don't have the resources to employ a team of marketing, online sales and website developers and advertise every deal online but if you visit them or give them a call they can put together a deal. Even if it's the same or similar price I'd rather help out the local small business. It's a different experience, buying online and wait for a courier to deliver every safely vs going into a shop to pick up and speak to someone.

Chances are slimmer that you have +2meter wide av-stand which has about 60cm height. Speaker stands (~600mm) often more ideal so you can find the best spot for mains, correct height etc.
I would like the right blue side better. More space for LCR to spread them apart 2-2,5meters (same distance from centre), also couch against rear wall is usually in the "don`t do" list as bass tends to build up near boundaries so it can muddy the sound. However the seat at dead middle usually is not recommended either due to big null (weak bass), unless the subwoofer placed nearfield. Can you move the couch higher against that top wall so you can then push it little bit more back without blocking the doorway for coming to room? One typical recommendation for main listening position would be 38% from rear wall length wise so as you see we are talking quite small differences vs. sitting dead middle of room. The left (red) one would work too if you can place the couch and tv more toward right so you get more space for the front three, not to place them each side of tv (=too narrow). And then just have the couch pushed little more forward from rear wall to optimize MLP. Hope you understood what i meant.

You didn´t notice that PT gives you same bundle deal price for X2700H and B50 package 1400£! :) That is quite a no brainer. Just need to know the couch position so is the FX ideal or not. You would buy it without the package sub. Probably 1200£ then. That would leave you 400£ to play with, ugh actually little bit less as you need the stands! You need to ask the price without W10 subwoofer, call them! Say you have subwoofer already and want to buy this package, give me price without W10!

For 410£ i would buy BK P12 sub which has been long time best bang for buck in this price range beating many 500-600£ products.

3 reviews when you scroll this site down:

Wow nice find on the newer model receiver. That's a pretty great deal! I'll speak to them about knocking the sub off. I like the idea of getting that separate slightly afterwards.

So if I go with the blue one I can push it higher in the room. What would be your reccomendation for the rear speakers? They seem to be wall mounted so would that be OK on the left wall (as you look at the image)? Or do they also need stands and be facing inboard to the couch?

Wow nice find on the newer model receiver. That's a pretty great deal! I'll speak to them about knocking the sub off. I like the idea of getting that separate slightly afterwards.

So if I go with the blue one I can push it higher in the room. What would be your reccomendation for the rear speakers? They seem to be wall mounted so would that be OK on the left wall (as you look at the image)? Or do they also need stands and be facing inboard to the couch?

Keep in mind i only meant to move couch, not tv. So you would sit in the third seat against tv about middle of room but couch would be just pushed more back. Your ears will be best judge. You can crouch little bit back of couch if you feel the bass is weaker in the MLP, then you know to move couch if you want to start how the picture shows now (blue).

For 5.1 system the surround speakers would ideally go on side walls or slightly behind. That tight corner with the door is annoying. They require 1feet space to corner, but i don`t know how it´s going to sound at the right hand side. If you are going to stick with 5.1 for good time, then Monitor Audio recommends that you moun FX speakers about 2feet from seated ear height, but what ever works you best. There is keyholes at rear for screw mounting, 2 per speaker. Another options is to swap the FX speakers to another pair of Bronze 50 and then you need another pair of stands too. You would place them in the rear corners, the right hand side would be slightly closer due to that door, but shouldn`t be issue. Or if you prefer to wall mount the FX speakers on the rear wall before the door then spread them apart so much that you leave 1feet space to side walls. Best would be to try them in few sports before wall mounting. Just need some boxes or couple ladders so you can move them freely. :laugh:

Speaker stands you can order cheaply here, there is matte/gloss black and gloss/matte white too. This top plate should be spot on for Bronze 50. The height 600mm is most typically used for front mains. I think it could be ok choice if you swap FX to Bronze 50s and buy 2nd pair. At least they will be around seated ear height so when you go to Atmos then it will be optimal as you want to have the height difference, not that both effects would come high up.

Definitely save up for that sub or if you get higher budget then we can check other options too.

The speaker cable you get free is super thin (1,25mm2 i believe), personally i wouldn`t use it but up to you. There is 1£/meter costing OFC cables (14AWG) on Amazon Uk if you want something better.

Still waiting on receiver stock so I've had a few more thoughts on the room setup.

Because I'm a bit sad I stuck it in CAD. I think you're right the sofa should be offset because nobody sits in the middle, that does offset the speaker setup, but that's probably not a big deal. I can balance out if it's an annoyance.

First layout has a bit of doorway obstruction on the right. But I'll try in real life and see.

I'm likely going for Bronze 200s for fronts, and Bronze 50s for rears.
Room2.jpg
Room3.jpg

The lower looks better and there is space for the subwoofer at front corner. Can you afford the BK sub?

With the speakers and receiver you leaning toward the bundle deal?

Edit. The X2700H is in stock. What are you waiting for?

The lower looks better and there is space for the subwoofer at front corner. Can you afford the BK sub?

With the speakers and receiver you leaning toward the bundle deal?

Edit. The X2700H is in stock. What are you waiting for?
Yeah I can. It wasn't in stock yesterday so they weren't able to delete the subwoofer. Should be in now though.

Yeah I can. It wasn't in stock yesterday so they weren't able to delete the subwoofer. Should be in now though.

How much they drop ££ from the package price when sub is taken out?

How much they drop ££ from the package price when sub is taken out?
Without the sub, and Bronze 50s instead of Bronze FXs it was reduced by £420.

Sounds reasonable. Would maybe save a bit more messing about on ebay.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom