First 4k tv help!!

jas111

Hi all, i have managed to get a Samsung Qn94 for cheap through work. It is the first 4k, even smart tv we have ever had. What i am most nervous even concerned with is i see a lot of posts on here about the different picture settings for various modes. Now how easy to do this is it? Do i just go to different sources eg, hdr, HD, SD and have to adjust the picture everytime? Or does it automatically save settings? Sorry for sounding dumb i am a complete noob

KBD

It's probably a 3.84K TV (3,840 x 2,160 pixels)
You can adjust your TV using a UHD SMPTE pattern. IF you have Amazon Prime Video, there are some on there.

mikej

It may seem a bit daunting, but there's no need to be nervous or concerned. I would start by finding a preset picture mode that you like for the source you view the most and take it from there. If you want an accurate, natural picture, then try one of the Cinema modes.

On my Panasonic OLED, I use one picture mode for the majority of my viewing and only tend to use an alternative if I find myself watching during the day and need a little extra brightness. The exception to this is Dolby Vision HDR content which has it's own picture modes, but that isn't an issue on a Samsung :D

Keeping any unnecessary picture processing options turned off will help to minimise any unwanted artefacts.

TVs will often remember the picture settings you use for each input or source (Freeview tuner, Netflix app, Blu-ray player etc) so every time you select that source, it'll switch (if necessary) to the settings you used for it last time.

Last edited:

jas111

Cheers for all the info guys. I got the 24" Samsung included in my deal, perfect, great. I set the QN94 up on my own, not advised at 65"! And lo and behold i see a yellow sticker on the screen and behind the sticker there is a bubble/bulge on screen! Seriously peed off and not happy. Going to get full refund don't want to risk the same thing happening if i get another replacement offered. Maybe it is telling me to go Oled :/

KBD

You will want to spend the extra money if you compare OLED to LCD, even if it's a fancy NanoCell or other type of LCD.

jas111

You will want to spend the extra money if you compare OLED to LCD, even if it's a fancy NanoCell or other type of LCD.
I paid £1500 for this Samsung so can Get a 55" C1 for that. The 65" did look slighlty too big for the area too

majorwedgy

to be fair very dependent on his room. In a bright room QLED will look better, in a dark room OLED. Also run the risk of burn in on OLED depending on the content you watch (I also own OLED). Personally was sold on the Netflix logo on my OLED, really does lead to a 'oh wow' moment when you first see it, vibrancy of cvolours against black background.

PlexShaw

Get the LG, II love my CX.
The only fault I can find is that it won't pass DTS, but apparently that was fixed on the C1.
Alas, there's no DTS decoding on the C1 either.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom