First 4K Need AU9000 vs Sony XH8196?

canada16uk

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey all.
My Samsung screen broke and need to buy a new one, so I have put it down to 3 screens, and I am a bit confused as its my first 4K screen.

First is the Sony KD43XH8196
Second is the Samsung UE43AU9000
Third is the LG 43UP81006

One thing I am concerned with is that it needs to go onto a narrow clothes drawer, its probably 50cm narrow and the TV will need to go onto an angle.
I dont want to buy a nice TV just because of the stand, but the Samsung and LG seem to fit the bill when it comes to stands, but the Sony seems to have all the tech like Dolby Vision and the LG and Samsung do not.

Whats your thoughts on a 43" up to £550.00/600?

Thanks all

Its best to buy cheap at smaller sizes, because no matter what you buy you're not gonna end up with something that's better than average.

48" and higher nowadays is where the mid range models start, and sometimes high range models start larger than that.

My advice: instead of going for a 2021 model like the Samsung or LG, look at a 2020 model like the Sony instead.

However first before deciding on a TV, decide which panel type is suited to you. The type of panel is the most crucial decision to make when buying a TV, and will dictate most of the picture quality.

All current best buys are here:

You'll notice the guide is separated based on the panel type, but also that there's no 2021 models in the guide yet- this is because they are too overpriced to recommend at the moment.

Thanks for that.
So would you say the Kd43xh8196 is the best of a bad bunch?
Or are you saying I won't notice any difference between a £350 set and a £550 set?
I was kind of hoping to get something with DV to try future proof a little and Samsung doesn't offer it, and at my price point LG doesn't offer it either, so this only leaves the Sony.
Have a just answered my own question?
I really appreciate your help, I've had a good look at your guide.

hello the sony as pictures and very good I bought it but mine was 55 inches but after two days the android system went crazy and I had to return it. I anteri on lg that a good operating system and it looks good Samsung is not bad but if you want peace of mind go to lg ok bye

Thanks for that.
So would you say the Kd43xh8196 is the best of a bad bunch?
Or are you saying I won't notice any difference between a £350 set and a £550 set?
I was kind of hoping to get something with DV to try future proof a little and Samsung doesn't offer it, and at my price point LG doesn't offer it either, so this only leaves the Sony.
Have a just answered my own question?
I really appreciate your help, I've had a good look at your guide.
All small TVs (less than 48”) are generally quite poor and will not show HDR well; in that anything with HDR in it (most things these days) will have issues displaying it.

i doubt having DV will make any difference, as those small TVs can’t get bright enough. And not possible for a small tv to Be future proofed.

as mentioned by @Dodgexander , at small sizes there is so little difference it is simply best to buy cheap, maybe with one eye on which TV OS you prefer.

I would pick your panel type (IPS vs VA), then check out the guide and find a 2020 tv (currently best priced), and go cheap/cheerful.

I am still confused as to what's best, seems these 43" are tricky.
Its going to be in my bedroom so I need a TV that will produce good blacks, I am not expecting the same blacks as my OLED downstairs, but some reviews are saying in the dark they turn grey, and at 550 for a TV, I don't want to watch movies in bed and I see white coming from the sides and grey artifacts.

@Dodgexander if you wanted a TV where viewing angles are not a huge issue and for a dark room, what would you buy right now? Your opinion means a lot on this forum.

Thanks again for your help.

VA panel will give better blacks than IPS but you’ll sacrifice off axis viewing angles if that’s at all important
Dodge’s guide is here for 43s

Typically people will go for TVs using VA panels if they don't need good viewing angles. IPS and VA panels do have other differences though. For example TVs that use IPS tend to have less motion blur.
The conditions you use the TV in play a big part too, typically going for a TV using an IPS panel for bedroom use is a bad idea if the TV is used in the dark since it will leak a lot more light.

You won't be able to future proof looking at smaller TVs, its hard enough already with larger ones.
Typically not at this size.

I'd probably go for a Hisense in your position. You can pay a bit extra to get the Roku models sold at Argos if you want a more robust OS. Sometimes you can also find cheaper Samsung models, which should also be using a VA type panel.

It's a bit bigger than I would like but what about the LG 49NANO866NA? It's 599.00

Last edited:
If you want a great 49” TV, add a bit to the budget and get the Sony 49xh9505

750.00 is a little more than I wanted to spend, but looks like a cracking spec.

4K, especially at smaller sizes, the resolution bump over 1080p is barely noticeable.

HDR is the game changer with 4K if you're watching HDR content such as Amazon Prime, Disney+, Netflix or 4K UHD discs.

None of the TVs you are looking at are capable of showing HDR at all well. They don't have the required spec. They say they do HDR or maybe even Dolby Vision, but to put it impolitely it's marketing BS. Using those TV's you're better avoiding HDR content.

If you think you'd benefit from HDR content, and it's getting harder to avoid, the Sony vickster mentioned is a great choice and heavily discounted. At launch it was ~£1200.

Well the 49" is out. I've measured my room and I'm short by 10" for me to change the bed around and place a 49" on the other side.
So back to the 43"

It's a bit bigger than I would like but what about the LG 49NANO866NA? It's 599.00
Have you decided you want a TV using an IPS panel? From everything you've said it seems like IPS would not be a good choice for you.
Have you seen the models in my guide here:

Each size is split based on panel type, and then on the overall quality of the TV. The sections have prefaces that explains what you get by spending more money.

If you go for a mid tier TV like the LG Nano, or in the case of VA panels; the Sony XH85/XH91 then you get improved motion over low tier models, but still not a TV that's capable of displaying HDR problem free.

Its not until you get to higher end models that you start to see capable HDR TVs, the Sony XH9505 is a good example of one.

If you are looking to spend as little money as possible, but can't afford the the Sony XH9505 the Hisense U7Q will get you half-way there in some titles.

It comes down to what you'll play back on the TV and whether that material contains HDR data. Also comes down to (low vs mid tier) how important better motion is.

It would make your choice a lot easier if you choose a panel type first though, that's why I formatted the guide the way I did - its not possible to really compare TVs that use such different panel technology.

Yeah I checked it out, it was a very good read.
My problem is I work from home so have the TV on in the background but it's not super bright in my room, I really lay down and watch TV at night.
I can't get the U7Q as it seems the smallest it goes is 50", also it gets terrible reviews everywhere online.

I am not worried about viewing angles as I angle the TV right at my bed so it's not like I have 5 people watching it, unless I get lucky on a Saturday night Ha Ha.

I am kind of leaning towards the AU9000 due to the stand, as it needs to go onto a narrow clothes drawer and I don't think TV legs thar are very far apart and a 43" will fit on it, and I can't fit a wall mount as I rent, so can't drill.

I have a very small LG IPS right now that I'm using temporarily and I think the screen looks great for a cheap 1080p TV

The U7Q was recommended here on AVF: Hisense U7QF (55U7QFTUK) 4K ULED TV Review and is 50" in size, approx the same size as the LG Nano you picked out.

You may be better off looking at cheaper Samsung models than the AU9000, its more expensive than the cheaper AU series models and not any better with picture quality. Its also a 2021 model so its currently overpriced.

You could also fit a custom, central table top stand to any TV if you find another that you like better. Don't restrict your choice just because of the stand!

TU series was last years models, look out for discounts on those.
AU series is this years.

It would be, in my opinion a waste of money getting the 43AU9000 when you can find TVs like this for last year for 170 less:

And if you were to get a 2021 model, at least you're only paying 70 more for this instead of the AU9000:
Amazon product ASIN B08Y733RV1

The U7Q was recommended here on AVF: Hisense U7QF (55U7QFTUK) 4K ULED TV Review and is 50" in size, approx the same size as the LG Nano you picked out.

You may be better off looking at cheaper Samsung models than the AU9000, its more expensive than the cheaper AU series models and not any better with picture quality. Its also a 2021 model so its currently overpriced.

You could also fit a custom, central table top stand to any TV if you find another that you like better. Don't restrict your choice just because of the stand!

TU series was last years models, look out for discounts on those.
AU series is this years.

It would be, in my opinion a waste of money getting the 43AU9000 when you can find TVs like this for last year for 170 less:

And if you were to get a 2021 model, at least you're only paying 70 more for this instead of the AU9000:
Amazon product ASIN B08Y733RV1
You know what I just realised I can use a desktop TV mount, totally forgot about them, and they are ideal.

So can I ask why a TU7100 is as good as a AU9000? Surely the higher end 9000 has more features?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really confused as to how a 4K TV is not really going to display 4K content from Netflix or Amazon?
If this is the case, why are they making them?

I have seen some amazing standard 4k TVs that look as good as my 1080p OLED, but with snappier and brighter colours.

I have just seen some lower end 4k Samsung are direct led instead of edge, is this better?

Urggh I'm really trying hard not to buy the 49X9095.
Either spend 400 on a so so TV or 750 on an amazing TV. And now I can fit the desk top stand it will fit.
My girlfriend may not speak to me for about a week having a 50" in the bedroom.

So can I ask why a TU7100 is as good as a AU9000? Surely the higher end 9000 has more features?
More features yeah, but only in software. The only picture quality feature it has going over the cheaper TVs is the wide colour gamut, useless when you consider the TV cannot properly display HDR anyway.
Whats the use of having a wide colour gamut if you have to turn it off?
Think of things like extra HDMI ports, the type of remote you get with the TV, software features like recording tv etc. Picture quality won't be better.

TV manufacturers are out there to make money from you, just because the TV has a higher number does not make it better. Samsung like to make you think buying a 9 series today is as good as their old flagship 9 series TVs when in fact its just a budget TV.
Sorry for all the questions, I'm just really confused as to how a 4K TV is not really going to display 4K content from Netflix or Amazon?
Its down to HDR, which comes hand in hand with 4k and isn't easily disabled, you can read more about HDR and how it works here:

The link explains the problem with using HDR on cheaper TVs.
If this is the case, why are they making them?
Because people think if a cheap TV has a HDR badge on it it can display HDR fine, sadly it doesn't work that way, so essentially they are ripping people off.
I have just seen some lower end 4k Samsung are direct led instead of edge, is this better?
Only time a direct lit model is better is if its also FALD like the Hisense U7Q or Sony XH9505, edge otherwise is just as good as direct.
Either spend 400 on a so so TV or 750 on an amazing TV. And now I can fit the desk top stand it will fit.
You really should consider it, there's little value in cheaper TVs now. You considered spending 500 on a Samsung AU9000. If you buy that TV in the future you'll only wished you forked out the extra on a proper HDR TV.

I have merged this into this thread and deleted the duplicate thread you made elsewhere. You can buy a central stand for the XH9505 or Amazon or eBay or similar. Just search for VESA table-top TV stand and make sure the VESA holes match up witht the dimensions in TVs specs.

If you go for a 43" what I've already said still applies, buy cheap, not expensive. In the future when 42" OLEDs are released things will change, but right now its the only sensible thing to do.

Good news.
I just bought the 49XH9050
Richer sounds price Beat Appliance direct and got it for 696.00
I paid an extra 10.00 for next day delivery
My partner is not going to be happy when it arrives.

Should I buy a 4K firestick to go with it or will the TV GUI be as good or better for 4k content ?
I'm now looking at a sound bar ha ha.

The sound is more than adequate for a bedroom.
Why do you need a firestick? It has all the apps built in and you can add extras from Google store

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom