First 4K Need AU9000 vs Sony XH8196?

canada16uk

Cool just wanted to make sure I had everything when it arrives. I thought I wouldn't need a firestick for 4k, this is my first 4k TV, can't wait.

Kid at 🎅 + 🎄 = 🎁

vickster

Distinguished Member
What 4K material do you have?

canada16uk

What 4K material do you have?
I will be starting off with Netflix and Amazon prime. I can also get my mate to put some 4k movies on a USB drive for me, probably just to test it before I go all out and buy a 4k player and movies.

canada16uk

I just thought the firestick would be able to handle 4K movies better than my TV apps. But again this is my first 4k TV.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I just thought the firestick would be able to handle 4K movies better than my TV apps.

TV apps are fine, as it's an Android TV as well it should have a long service life regarding updates.

The only reason you should have to get a Firestick is if your TV stops supporting certain apps, but that's years away, if ever.

canada16uk

TV apps are fine, as it's an Android TV as well it should have a long service life regarding updates.

The only reason you should have to get a Firestick is if your TV stops supporting certain apps, but that's years away, if ever.
Thanks mate.
Can't wait to see what real 4k looks like.
I've had my second gen LG oled 1080p working like a champ in the living room for years. Now I have the start to a decent man cave / bedroom ha ha

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Can't wait to see what real 4k looks like.

Honestly, not hugely noticeable over 1080p. If you had a 65" TV and you sat close to it, a bit more.

HDR is the game changer, along with UHD discs that have been upgraded and had a bad 1080p Bluray transfer

canada16uk

Honestly, not hugely noticeable over 1080p. If you had a 65" TV and you sat close to it, a bit more.

HDR is the game changer, along with UHD discs that have been upgraded and had a bad 1080p Bluray transfer
Like the goonies or back to the future?
Love all the childhood flix

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
The Goonies wasn't a great Bluray IIRC but I don't remember BTTF being poor.

It's not an age thing, it's down to how much time was spent mastering the disc. Some discs just got a quick and dirty transfer, some had proper frame-by-frame mastering.

Films that got a bad Bluray release such as Predator, have been done properly this time around for 4K. Predator was a waxy mess on Bluray, through multiple releases, with overdone DNR scrubbing all the detail from the image to remove film grain.
Other movies from the same era as Predator, the Bluray is perfectly fine. Not saying the 4K isn't better but nowhere near as noticeable.

As an alternative to discs and a 4K spinner, perhaps have a look at the Apple TV4K.

4K releases on iTunes are cheaper and if you will never upgrade the size of your TV to something large or have a full surround system it's a decent compromise.
On the other hand if you can see yourself with a 75" TV, an AVR and a 7.2.4 system one day then discs are a better source for audio/video but unnoticeable over a quality stream with a smaller TV and a soundbar.

canada16uk

The most I will do in my bedroom is a soundbar, but have a set up downstairs with MA golds Svs sub ect.

I just need to upgrade my 1080p LG oled, but it's been so fantastic, great picture ect. I can't warrant a £2000 purchase for a 65" decent 4k downstairs until my OLED packs up.

The only reason I bought this TV for my bedroom was because my Samsung died, also it has terrible bleed, it was just terrible.

I have never owned a Sony before so fingers crossed. It should be here any minute

Johnpilky

Novice Member
I have merged this into this thread and deleted the duplicate thread you made elsewhere. You can buy a central stand for the XH9505 or Amazon or eBay or similar. Just search for VESA table-top TV stand and make sure the VESA holes match up witht the dimensions in TVs specs.

If you go for a 43" what I've already said still applies, buy cheap, not expensive. In the future when 42" OLEDs are released things will change, but right now its the only sensible thing to do.
Hi,have you a link for vesa stand for 49xh 9505 tv thanks

canada16uk

Hi,have you a link for vesa stand for 49xh 9505 tv thanks
This is what I bought.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom