1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware upgrade

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by danny-p, Jul 8, 2003.

1. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a fault with my arcam dv27 dvd player (Internal fuse blown twice) whilst on the phone to the help desk i inquired about upgrading the firmware from 1.79 to 1.81.
    They sent out two firmware disks (1 for firmware other for sil chips i think) equiped with detailed instructions.
    I tried installing the firmware disk and the player tried reading it but after a few seconds failed and came up with -bad disk-
    The other disc read and installed fine?
    Any reason for this?
    No damage is done and on start up the player reads 1.81 but its just bugging me why the disk labelled firmware wouldnt install/read.

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    Have you contacted Arcam for assistance regarding this ?
    Arcam is represented on the board, perhaps one of them may be able to offer an opinion.

3. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lynx,
    I can't contact them this week as i'm on 0700-1730 thats why i was hoping one of you guys could help.
    Cheers anyway
    Danny

4. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The disc that installed was player firmware - it obviously upgraded OK to v1.81. The other disc was drive firmware - for the DVD drive mech - which has its own firmware.

Check if you have the latest version by pressing - SETUP - 4-7-9-2- scroll to version, then press OK.

This gives you firmware versions for both player and drive. LT37 is the latest for the LT series B drive on the DV27.

Apparently, if the player displays bad disc, you switch it off, then back on and proceed to waiting until the tray opens allowing you to take the disc out.

HTH
    Mark

5. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes, the 'bad disc' message is normal. Arcam recommend you do the upgrade twice so if you didn't do a switch off, switch back on, wait for it to reload and reflash the firmware then I'd do the firware upgrade (1.81 disc) one more time.

When I did the upgrade (DV88 1.76 -> 1.81) it took ages the first time (5-10min) and said bad disc. I switched off and on again and the second time through it only took a minute or so.

Thanks,

Charles.

6. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    AFAIK you only perform the upgrade twice if going from 1.78 or less to 1.79 or more.

So you were quite right to flash twice for 1.76 - 1.81 but if danny-p has 1.79 to start with, only one flash needs to be performed (assuming the 1.79 was installed correctly)

Mark

7. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Managed to finish work early today and contacted the help desk.
    They said that they had sent me the wrong disk and it had to be a higher version or something????
    Either way another different firmware disk is in the post as we speak.
    About the "bad disk" is normal when installing the f'ware disk??
    According to the detailed notes with the disk it states an exact procedure to follow and doesnt say anything like "wait for the bad disk message" then turn player off or any other??
    Unless its different from dv88-dv27?
    Danny

8. MarkB4506

MarkB4506

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    It's not so much normal as something which may happen - I've upgraded player firmware several times and never seen it. If it does, the solution is as described.

The DV88 and 27 share identical firmware, the differences are in build quality and some component differences.

Just check that you need to use the drive firmware disc - you may already have the latest version. Drive firmware upgrades are much rarer than player firmware upgrades - and actually come from the drive manufacturer, not Arcam.

The 1.81 release of player firmware, many people think, will be the last for the Vaddis 3 based players.

Mark