Firmware Updates Beware

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dougallh, Aug 14, 2013.

1. dougallh

dougallh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a little used Yamaha DVD-S2500 (actually a chinese Philips clone). This expensive player has well known problems with playing certain types of disc eg DVD-R & SACDs.

I contacted Yamaha support recently as the inability to play some SACDs at all or intermittently was driving me nuts ! The player played all other discs OK & was running V58 firmware. They provided me with a V59 firmware download & suggested I try it to see if it helped; good service I thought.

However, having followed the supplied instructions to the letter, the firmware update failed to complete & the player's firmware is now completely corrupt; the player now being completely dead !

Yamaha will not help & suggest that I take it to a service centre & pay for repair. It would seem that it is not possible to re-flash the flash memory (surely that is the whole point of flash memory ?). There is no RS232 port to connect a utility for re-flashing either !

I asked if they could provide me with an exchange board (SD5.2 MONO board) - it is not under warranty.

Yamaha said no, but I could purchase one for an eyewatering £496 from Charles Hyde if I wished to try fitting it myself (a 10 minute job) !

I wish I had not had faith in Yamaha support.

I have done nothing wrong & now have a u/s player. Perhaps this is one for Watchdog.

Anyways you have been warned. :mad::mad::mad:

2. Belgarath78

Belgarath78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    How long have you had it for?

3. dougallh

dougallh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had it since Jan 2013 - bought from someone who claimed it was either little used or NOS - however it is a 2006/07 model. I did pay via credit card but was told there was no warranty from the seller; I could have returned it following purchase but decided to live with the SACD anomoly at the time.

I am just not sure if anyone has comeback on a corporation in such a no warranty situation when you have accepted their provided support instructions in good faith. It is of course possible that there was an underlying reading fault but there had not been any problems with CDs, CDRs, DVDs. The firmware file was burned onto a CDR & was verified against the downloaded file before use.

Interestingly, following all this, I found instructions in a forum for upgrading this player to V58 firmware (already loaded on mine @ purchase) which stated: "DO NOT CONNECT THE TV VIA HDMI". There was no such statement in the Yamaha V59 upgrade instructions.

HDMI is pretty much the defacto connection these days & that is the only TV connection I use...

4. Belgarath78

Belgarath78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I asked because I thought you may have been able to get somewhere with the Sale of Goods act.

But as you say you bought it from someone which implies that you didn't get it from a shop which unfortunately would be your route using the act. I managed to find this quote

So if you bought it privately and you can't get anything out of Yamaha it doesn't look like theres anything you can do.

Unless anyone else of course can suggest a different route you could take.