Firmware update to improve GPU performance

Interesting. Do a benchmark pre and post firmware someone and let us know (on the same drivers)

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
a chap on oculus forum is going to post his results tomorrow.
My gtx 980 is a factory over clock card so i am not sure it is a good idea for me.

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Interesting to see what he comes with..
can the card be overclocked after the firmware ?

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
i assume it can be overclocked via afterburner or the like however i would expect (though not certain) that flashing using an nvidia firmware would essentially put the card back to nvidia baseline stock speeds......

sykotik

Distinguished Member
Could be tempted my self , ( after seen what the OP comes with ) , i have 1080 ti been used on my 4ktv , and in some games it can't quiet hit the 60 fps , its only a few off tho ! so if this helps to get a few extra fps might be worth trying ..

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
well i just read this on overclockers which is not so good...

"I have been running that firmware for a couple of months now and saw absolutely no performance boost at all. It was only to update displayport for 1.3 and 1.4 screens."

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
however in more positive notes this chap is happy.
I am not gonna paste his post i may as well just post the link so you can see it proper.

for the record I *think* Brixmis is a gamedev so one would hope he does know his stuff a little bit.

Oculus Discussion Forums

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
well after following that thread i have updated. TBH i needed to do it anyway as it would just be my luck to sell the card in a few weeks if i get an 1180 and the buyer complain due to problems with display ports an VR.
going on the thread above it seems there are definite improvements for vr, at least in some titles so maybe NV fixed another bug on the side which they did not advertise. DCS takes so long to load that i gave up trying to get fps and just applied the update.

Thug

I did the update too, and too be honest cant really notice any difference at all.
I have only tried Pcars2 and Dirt Rally though in VR and Wreckfest on my monitor.
Still, I would rather have no difference than a drop in performance, so nothing (noticeably) lost or gained.