Firmware Update on a new 605?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Jerold, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jerold

Jerold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My 605 is less than a week old.

Should I go ahead and update the firmware now or wait?

2. ARCHOS

ARCHOS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi there,

Nothing wrong with updating the firmware, its just adds some small new features and ensures everything runs a bit smoother. Is always worth doing.

You can either do this directly on the unit itself if you have WiFi connection at home or download from ARCHOS.com.

3. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    Just as a general counter-point to that advise I would always wait a little after a new firmware release to check and see if anyone reports any negative aspects before diving in, especially if you have no other problems at the time.

Over the course of the firmware updates for the 605 so far there have been a few unintended negative changes and one or two intended negative changes so it isn't always wise to just take new versions regardless.

4. Jerold

Jerold
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funny.

Both of your advice is exactly the debate that I have going on in my head.

Does a firmware update delete the data and settings (wifi, etc...) I have on the drive or does it leave it alone?

if it does, maybe a firmware update while the unit is new and fairly empty will cause less of a hassle now as opposed to when it's in full swing with data and customized settings.

5. MarkTaylor

MarkTaylor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +662
    No, updating the firmware doesn't usually affect anything else unless there is a specific update for that component.

Best thing is to go to one of the high volume Archos sites like forum.archosfans.com/ and check what other people are reporting.

Also check which version you are currently on so you can see what changes you will face if you update.