Firmware update for Philips DVDR70

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by bikerbob, Aug 20, 2004.

1. bikerbob

bikerbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Took advantage of the great RS deal on the multiregion DVDR70 and must admit I'm very impressed with what I've got for not a big outlay. I was just curious as to what the firmware updates actually do.

On the Philips website there's 2 updates DVDR70_001 and DVDR70_051, I'm assuming I need to run both on the machine to fully update it? Also, what's the net result in updating the firmware, what are the quality gains?

Appreciate any feedback from anyone that's done this already...

thanks

Rob

2. JefUK

JefUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    The firmware updates adds new features and fixes bugs. The latest firmware is FF16k, released early in July 2004.

To check the installed firmware version, go to the System Menu and select the Remote Control Settings and then press the down arrow button to reveal a "secret" page displaying the system information. The firmware level will be something like FFXXx.

The firmware for the UK version is DVDR70_051,and for the USA DVDR70_001.

Philips do not normally say what the improvements are for each release, but have released a list of improvements for FF16k. Unfortunately, in attempting to improve the 8x speed they have introduced a bug which sometimes results in the 8x speed being more like 60x! A new version seems to released every 3 months, so the next will probably be early in October.

3. bikerbob

bikerbob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's very helpful, thanks a lot Jeff. I'll have a crack at updating the firmware in the coming week. Thanks for your help... :thumbsup: