Firmware Thread - Current: Ver 7.51

Dizzle77

Can't wait.... Especially Share Play.

I wonder if this update will add DLNA media streaming capability too

humanfish

Nice feature, really nice.
But what about the basic stuff that was featured in the fan mock-ups. C'mon Sony.

Det

Distinguished Member
But what about the basic stuff that was featured in the fan mock-ups. C'mon Sony.
It's not "basic"... windows and folders are the way of the future... innovation at its finest. I expect YEARS before they get the coding right on this.

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
I'm sure they'll come. They just don't make a great marketing message do they? "In our massive new update you can add folders".....hardly likely to get the headlines rolling is it? Lol.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
share play sounds nice in theory in practise it's a different story the person with the game will be acting like a server streaming to the one that would be taking over the controls or joining in a co-op, unless there is a damn good speedy almost lag free Internet connection both ways your going to have a crappy time it's not like Playstation now is perfect and that's using a server farm at one end not someones home connection.

Rob_J

Yawn, not like you cant already upload to youtube. And why would i want to sit and watch my friend play my game for me.

McNab

I can't help thinking the game makers will be able to block Share Play if they want to. Are Ubisoft really going to want people playing their fully co-op Assassins Creed game off only one sale. Don't think so.

Also, this makes their Far Cry 4 Keys of Kryat* redundant doesn't it?

* However you spell it.

humanfish

Not if it is is a similar system. I can see there being a time limit on the feature. It'll be in interesting to see how quickly you can use again, whether their is a mandatory cool down.

D

Deleted member 92943

Guess it makes a good way of trying a game before you buy it

Last edited by a moderator:

dutch1585

Was there any rough release date?

Desmo

Distinguished Member
Whilst Share Play is a great technical feature, I really can't see it being of much use to me. It might be fun for the occasional bit of co-op play but I don't have any mates with PS4's that I'd play with at the moment anyway.

Being able to upload direct to Youtube will be a little handy though.

humanfish

Jeez, I try not to be a moaner. But on this they do need to speed up. Maybe release one marquee feature and bug fixes every month rather than waiting 6 months for one update. Or, maybe they need more man power.

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
When the ps3 was launched it was constantly being patched to add features that should have been there to start with. There was no in game xmb!!! Whilst there are a couple of standout features for ps4, promised like resume, still outstanding, Im sure most users are pretty happy. Id say if it was such a huge deal it would have been done already.

Last edited:

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
What, like MP3's?
Sony showed how quickly they can make the changes when they countered MS's announcement of 3d blu ray functionality, they obviously feel that mp3 functionality is not as important.

Cha1ky

Sony showed how quickly they can make the changes when they countered MS's announcement of 3d blu ray functionality, they obviously feel that mp3 functionality is not as important.
It might not have been countered, it may have already of been planned and already tested well before MS put it up on the beta or announced it........

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
It might not have been countered, it may have already of been planned and already tested well before MS put it up on the beta or announced it........
Seems very coincidental that they'd announce it merely days after MS did, but you'd know far better than me. But I'd guess that in general things are prioritised and Sony obviously feel mp3's haven't been a priority. I would of thought Sony know pretty well what people used their ps3's for and what was stored on them.

Cha1ky

Seems very coincidental that they'd announce it merely days after MS did, but you'd know far better than me. But I'd guess that in general things are prioritised and Sony obviously feel mp3's haven't been a priority. I would of thought Sony know pretty well what people used their ps3's for and what was stored on them.
The announcment is a different matter. I reckon 'if' they did have it all sorted the prob could have announced earlier so perhaps it could be a case of they have it there waiting for MS to make a move. Which isn't very good either mind as then it looks like they are holding features back to counter when MS do them.

I hope they come back with a counter to DLNA and MKV support as that to me has really got me interested in an X1 now esp if it gives a nice interface too. Plex/xbmc style interface and DLNA will be superb.

I'd still like to be able to record in 1080p though. Don't like the quality loss atm.

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member
The announcment is a different matter. I reckon 'if' they did have it all sorted the prob could have announced earlier so perhaps it could be a case of they have it there waiting for MS to make a move. Which isn't very good either mind as then it looks like they are holding features back to counter when MS do them.

I hope they come back with a counter to DLNA and MKV support as that to me has really got me interested in an X1 now esp if it gives a nice interface too. Plex/xbmc style interface and DLNA will be superb.

I'd still like to be able to record in 1080p though. Don't like the quality loss atm.
I really hope they are not holding back features just to counter MS. Surely they should be continuing to push MS whilst they still have a lead, either a perceived technical one, or an actual sales lead.

Det

Distinguished Member
Whilst Share Play is a great technical feature, I really can't see it being of much use to me. It might be fun for the occasional bit of co-op play but I don't have any mates with PS4's that I'd play with at the moment anyway.

Being able to upload direct to Youtube will be a little handy though.
I'll play with you Desmo :D

On PS4 that is... perv. You can watch my character run into walls for the 1732ms it takes for my inputs to get through. Just don't stare at my virtual ass.

... ... Maybe we'll just stick to Everybody's Golf on the Vita.

Jack-Deth

Distinguished Member

PS4 MP3 Support Coming This Holiday; No Discounts for PS Now Games You Already Own -- Report - GameSpot

Don't know if you saw these rumours but 2015 was highlighted for DLNA support and mp3 for Xmas.

Cha1ky

PS4 MP3 Support Coming This Holiday; No Discounts for PS Now Games You Already Own -- Report - GameSpot

Don't know if you saw these rumours but 2015 was highlighted for DLNA support and mp3 for Xmas.
Yeah just rumours though and would prefer they actually announced their plans for this stuff.

On firmware updates you've got to give credit to Microsoft as they've added something of note each month and have said DLNA and MKV by the end of the year. Sony.....not so much.