1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firmware Thread - Current: Ver 5.53

Discussion in 'Playstation - PS4 & Vita' started by Cha1ky, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,236
      I'll update this with the last big update that adds something. Stability patches wont be added, just the version in the title.

Everything you need to know about PS4 system software update 5.50, launching today

Everything you need to know about PS4 system software update 5.50, launching today

Some of you may have already got hands on with the system software 5.50 update for PlayStation 4 via the recent beta. A huge thanks to all those who have taken part and helped us fine-tune the new features and improvements. The update rolls out today and to give you a closer look at some of the key features, including a few new additions, take a look at what you’ll be enjoying from today.

Custom wallpapers from USB

One major feature that was included with the 5.50 update beta trial was the ability to customise the PS4 home screen with your own images from a USB stick.

To get started, save your pictures into a folder named “IMAGES” on your USB stick. Ensure this folder is at the top of the USB directory, i.e. not saved within another folder. Note the max image resolution is 1920×1080 for PS4 and 3840×2160 for PS4 Pro.

Then with the USB stick connected to your PS4, select Settings > Themes > Select Theme > Custom > Select Image > USB Storage Device. Once your image is selected you can zoom and crop it, all while seeing in real time how it looks on the home screen.

You can also customise the thumbnail of group message threads with images taken from USB. Select Messages > Select Message > Group Settings >Image> Change Image> USB Storage Device

[​IMG]

Play Time Management
      Another major update is Play Time Management. This feature gives Family Managers (and adult family members set as Guardians), the ability to control when and for how long each individual child can play for. Playtime can even be set to vary depending on the day of the week, for example you could allow your child to play for two hours between 4-7pm during the week and then for 4 hours between 8am-8pm on the weekend.

This joins a long list of parental management features already available, including the ability to individually set what each child in your family on PlayStation Network (PSN) plays, watches and accesses online. All these features can be accessed on your PS4 via Settings > Family Management.

What’s more, you can also monitor and change these settings on the go from your PC or Smartphone via the PSN account web portal – giving parents greater flexibility and peace of mind.

[​IMG]

Library improvements
      New tabs and filters are also being added to the Library, to make it easier to organise and find content.

New “This PS4” and “Name/Avatar” tabs allow you to split content between everything you own and what’s currently installed on your PS4.

There is now a dedicated PS Plus tab too showing all Monthly Free Games you have access to, along with the ability to hide certain apps under the “Purchased” tab – such as old trials or demos of games.

[​IMG]

Quick Menu enhancements
      The Quick Menu is also getting some UI enhancements. You’ll shortly be able to access the custom friends drop down list directly from it, making it easier to see who’s online and send them messages or invitations.

Furthermore, if you’re using Spotify on PlayStation Music, the ‘square’ button will now serve as the shortcut for volume control. And when you’re on the Media Player or the USB Music Player, ‘triangle’ will work as the shortcut for play or pause, and the ‘square’ button as the volume control.

[​IMG]

Notification management
      You can now permanently remove old notifications from your PS4 – to help you keep on top of game invites, status of downloads etc. Just go to Notifications and press the ‘triangle’ or “OPTIONS” button to open up a menu that will allow you to select a single or multiple notifications you’d like to delete.

Tournament page improvements
      In addition to being able to import your pictures from USB to use as your Team Logo or tournament page background, some further UI improvements are coming too. For example, with 5.50 you can now schedule events directly from the tournament page, and more easily filter between Team vs Team and 1v1 events.

As a reminder to set your tournament team logo and background, head over to Events > Teams > select your team > Edit Team Profile.PS VR Support Icon

Never miss out on an opportunity to augment your experience with PlayStation VR. After this update, a PS VR icon will be shown next to all content on your dashboard and library which support the headset.

[​IMG]

PS VR Support Icon
      Never miss out on an opportunity to augment your experience with PlayStation VR. After this update, a PS VR icon will be shown next to all content on your dashboard and library which support the headset.

[​IMG]

Supersampling Mode for PS4 Pro
      The system level optional mode gives more control to the player, helping them further benefit from the power of PS4 Pro, even if they don’t have a 4K TV.

Once enabled, all games output at a higher resolution, which for many PS4 Pro enhanced titles is above 1080p, and up to 2160p. Then, with up to 4x the amount of visual and colour information to work with, the PS4 Pro is able to deliver a more refined image when downscaling to HD.

As a result some games will receive a clarity boost, feature sharper details and benefit from a reduction in jagged edges on objects. Performance will vary by title, as games are optimised differently for PS4 Pro.

To enable supersampling select Settings > Sound and Screen > Video Output Settings > Supersampling Mode.

[​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 2
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • List
      Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    2. Dizzle77

Dizzle77

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +87
      Can't wait.... Especially Share Play.

I wonder if this update will add DLNA media streaming capability too

3. humanfish

humanfish

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +879
      Nice feature, really nice.
      But what about the basic stuff that was featured in the fan mock-ups. C'mon Sony.

4. Det

Det
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,079
      It's not "basic"... windows and folders are the way of the future... innovation at its finest. I expect YEARS before they get the coding right on this.

5. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,341
      I'm sure they'll come. They just don't make a great marketing message do they? "In our massive new update you can add folders".....hardly likely to get the headlines rolling is it? Lol.

6. Darth_terra

Darth_terra

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +891
      share play sounds nice in theory in practise it's a different story the person with the game will be acting like a server streaming to the one that would be taking over the controls or joining in a co-op, unless there is a damn good speedy almost lag free Internet connection both ways your going to have a crappy time it's not like Playstation now is perfect and that's using a server farm at one end not someones home connection.

7. Rob_J

Rob_J

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +87
      Yawn, not like you cant already upload to youtube. And why would i want to sit and watch my friend play my game for me.

8. McNab

McNab

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +388
      I can't help thinking the game makers will be able to block Share Play if they want to. Are Ubisoft really going to want people playing their fully co-op Assassins Creed game off only one sale. Don't think so.

Also, this makes their Far Cry 4 Keys of Kryat* redundant doesn't it?

* However you spell it.

9. humanfish

humanfish

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +879
      Not if it is is a similar system. I can see there being a time limit on the feature. It'll be in interesting to see how quickly you can use again, whether their is a mandatory cool down.

10. Retro Oswald

Retro Oswald
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,083
      Guess it makes a good way of trying a game before you buy it

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    11. dutch1585

dutch1585

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +51
      Was there any rough release date?

12. Desmo

Desmo
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,770
      Whilst Share Play is a great technical feature, I really can't see it being of much use to me. It might be fun for the occasional bit of co-op play but I don't have any mates with PS4's that I'd play with at the moment anyway.

Being able to upload direct to Youtube will be a little handy though.

13. CurleeToes

CurleeToes

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +540
      I wonder if we will still get a update before 2.00? 1.80?

14. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,236
      Just what it says in the first post, Autumn.

15. humanfish

humanfish

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +879
      Jeez, I try not to be a moaner. But on this they do need to speed up. Maybe release one marquee feature and bug fixes every month rather than waiting 6 months for one update. Or, maybe they need more man power.

16. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,341
      When the ps3 was launched it was constantly being patched to add features that should have been there to start with. There was no in game xmb!!! Whilst there are a couple of standout features for ps4, promised like resume, still outstanding, Im sure most users are pretty happy. Id say if it was such a huge deal it would have been done already.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    17. humanfish

humanfish

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +879
      What, like MP3's?

18. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,341
      Sony showed how quickly they can make the changes when they countered MS's announcement of 3d blu ray functionality, they obviously feel that mp3 functionality is not as important.

19. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,236
      It might not have been countered, it may have already of been planned and already tested well before MS put it up on the beta or announced it........

20. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,341
      Seems very coincidental that they'd announce it merely days after MS did, but you'd know far better than me. But I'd guess that in general things are prioritised and Sony obviously feel mp3's haven't been a priority. I would of thought Sony know pretty well what people used their ps3's for and what was stored on them.

21. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,236
      The announcment is a different matter. I reckon 'if' they did have it all sorted the prob could have announced earlier so perhaps it could be a case of they have it there waiting for MS to make a move. Which isn't very good either mind as then it looks like they are holding features back to counter when MS do them.

I hope they come back with a counter to DLNA and MKV support as that to me has really got me interested in an X1 now esp if it gives a nice interface too. Plex/xbmc style interface and DLNA will be superb.

I'd still like to be able to record in 1080p though. Don't like the quality loss atm.

22. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,341
      I really hope they are not holding back features just to counter MS. Surely they should be continuing to push MS whilst they still have a lead, either a perceived technical one, or an actual sales lead.

23. Det

Det
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,079
      I'll play with you Desmo :D

On PS4 that is... perv. You can watch my character run into walls for the 1732ms it takes for my inputs to get through. Just don't stare at my virtual ass.

... ... Maybe we'll just stick to Everybody's Golf on the Vita.

24. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,341
      PS4 MP3 Support Coming This Holiday; No Discounts for PS Now Games You Already Own -- Report - GameSpot

Don't know if you saw these rumours but 2015 was highlighted for DLNA support and mp3 for Xmas.

25. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +24,236
      Yeah just rumours though and would prefer they actually announced their plans for this stuff.

On firmware updates you've got to give credit to Microsoft as they've added something of note each month and have said DLNA and MKV by the end of the year. Sony.....not so much.

26. Desmo

Desmo
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,770
      I think this is where MS, mainly being a software company, really have a good advantage in that sense. Still, there's no excuse....Sony should be better.

27. Desmo

Desmo
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,770
      As for you you dirty little boy...I'll stare at whatever ass I fancy.

28. Jack-Deth

Jack-Deth

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,341
      In fairness MS should be much further ahead than they actually are in this respect, especially being a software company.

29. Det

Det
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,079
      I've said it before, I'll say it again...

They should contract with one of those MS "Fellows" to redesign their infrastructure so it is much easier to implement things. Sony's network is like CoD's engine. Working with 10 year old code and just modifying it wherever needed. Infrastructure needs to be able to have maintenance done with no visible consequence to the end user. It needs to be quick and efficient. I swear they are working with SONY-Dos because they don't want to use anything "MS" related... but even that would probably be better than the C- they are using. They should be using C++++++++... hell, get some crappy start up full of bloodthirsty engineers to spend a year on the network infrastructure (software, not hardware).

Disclaimer for OldSnake: No, I don't know what system they are using. Yes, I'm mostly talking out of my arse. But when any kind of maintenance on their network affects gamers anywhere, then there is an issue there that needs resolving. Yah, they are a hardware company but they need to invest in their software and network coding. Things need to be seamless... it shouldn't take ages to add folders on the PS4, or MP3 support or streaming...

And yes, I'm always right.

30. Stinja

Stinja
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,921
      There, there Det... Maybe lay off any more softdrinks (aka "Soda") containing orange E-nums for today? :love: