Firmware Thread - Current: Ver 8.00

There are reports that download speeds have been improved by the update. Haven't been able to check myself yet.

Whilst its a great addition, i can't help but feell a little let down that the PC Remote play is limited to 720p. It would be good if the let you do it at the same as what the game is at least. I'd imagine it shouldnt be too much an issue on a lot of peoples home networks.

I'll try get a go of it soon but would love to hear peoples thoughts on it if they get a chance. See if its improved in comparison to Vita/TV etc.

Works great at work, agree - shame its 720p but its a start I guess.

Surprised some keys from the keyboard work but the mapping isn't perfect. Was able to select different options on the menu in Black Ops 3 and jump whilst in a game but haven't figured out how to aim, shoot etc unless someone knows the mapping?

Managed to setup the remote pc play very quickly which was good but while playing Fifa the colours seemed pretty dull despite my monitor being good and usually displaying very vivid bright colours.

Is this down to the 720p? Or anything I can do to change it?

Remote play on mac works fine, I'm on my old MacBook and the only issue was a Usb cable I first tried that was to blame for loss of connection.
Graphics are not so nice but it's running destiny ok.

Wow, that's great news about being able to remote play to a Mac/ PC. I can see me using that a lot!
Looking forward to trying that out when I get home.

Have been playing project cars on Mac through remote play. Have to say, it is a lot better than through vita. More stable for me and input lag is very minimum, probably not fps standards but good enough. Anyone wanting to change video quality, you have to go into preference on mac or pc before connecting your ps4, also does 60fps if game supports it.

Managed to setup the remote pc play very quickly which was good but while playing Fifa the colours seemed pretty dull despite my monitor being good and usually displaying very vivid bright colours.

The default setting is 540p or something and needs changing to 720p before connection ps4 just in case you didn't know. Colours looked fine on my Mac when compared to TV both of which have been calibrated.

Why is it doing it over the net? Had a go today and while it was ok i'm baffled why they are doing it over the internet and not your own network. Should easily be able to do 1080p on my own Network if they did it like that.

Quite impressed with it. I'm surprised that it worked for me considering my laptop has an i3 processor, not the 'minimum spec' of i5. Seemed like a big of controller lag when I tested the crew, nothing game breaking however

Works the same as Vita and PSTV for me.

Who said it's over the net? it's over home network...

Works the same as Vita and PSTV for me.

Who said it's over the net? it's over home network...
You can set it up to work direct connection to the ps4 or internet. It doesn't work direct through home network unfortunately which is why your broadband upload speeds are important.

Why is it doing it over the net? Had a go today and while it was ok i'm baffled why they are doing it over the internet and not your own network. Should easily be able to do 1080p on my own Network if they did it like that.
Was like this for Vita. So you can play away from home

I thought the same, but I think I was just used to playing FIFA on my TV which is more vivid than my monitor. My monitor is set to be duller and with more accurate colours due to me using it for editing photos.

I haven't noticed any PC games being dull on my monitor before, but I think that's just down to the fact I haven't played any of them on my telly!

You can set it up to work direct connection to the ps4 or internet. It doesn't work direct through home network unfortunately which is why your broadband upload speeds are important.
It must do as my upload is 0.7mbit and gaming was fine as I said - just like vita and PSTV. No way that speed can do 720p and 60fps otherwise.

It must do as my upload is 0.7mbit and gaming was fine as I said - just like vita and PSTV. No way that speed can do 720p and 60fps otherwise.
I'm sure it's over the net. Requires certain speeds of your Internet.

Maybe they changed the "direct connect" from the old ad hoc (devices talking to each other) to a proper wireless access point model?

Using remote play on a home network | PlayStation®Vita User's Guide

• If you are connecting the systems directly using Wi-Fi, select
    in_settings.png
    (Settings) > [Remote Play Connection Settings] from the PS4™ system's function screen, and then select the [Connect Directly with PS Vita/PS TV] checkbox to set a checkmark.
  • If you are connecting the systems using a wireless access point, the systems must be connected to the same network.
ie:

ad-hoc = PS4 <-> veets/vTV
internet = PS4 <-> router <-> internet <-> router <-> veets/vTV/Mac
wireless access point = PS4 <-> router <-> veets/vTV/Mac

So you're both wrong (and right) :smashin:

EDIT: another option, is maybe Sony's snuck in "wifi direct", which the PS4 didn't used to support:
Wi-Fi Direct - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
I'm sure it's over the net. Requires certain speeds of your Internet.
That's if you want to play literally remotely - on Vita etc via WiFi elsewhere away from home.

There is absolutely 100% no way 0.7mbit upload would deliver what it does. It works precisely the same as my Vita and PSTV, I.e., 720p 60 silky smooth with slightly dulled colours.

I get the "searching the internet" message in all three devices. I believe it's just a standard wording.

I'm not saying "you're wrong ner ner" - simply that it doesn't need the internet. Neogaf had a great thread in getting your remote play devices set up properly - which is what I did. Direct connect to PS4 via Ethernet via router.

5Ghz routers will allow for wireless though - 2.4 can struggle (Vita occasionally lost signal).

That's if you want to play literally remotely - on Vita etc via WiFi elsewhere away from home.

There is absolutely 100% no way 0.7mbit upload would deliver what it does. It works precisely the same as my Vita and PSTV, I.e., 720p 60 silky smooth with slightly dulled colours.

I get the "searching the internet" message in all three devices. I believe it's just a standard wording.
Yeah it is slow considering they ask for "Generally, we recommend a high-speed connection with upload and download speeds of at least 5 Mbps."

I don't understand how it can only be limited to 720p then if you can use you're own network. Just felt a little bit poor on my network which is absolutely fine, even wirelessly.

Yeah it is slow considering they ask for "Generally, we recommend a high-speed connection with upload and download speeds of at least 5 Mbps."

I don't understand how it can only be limited to 720p then if you can use you're own network. Just felt a little bit poor on my network which is absolutely fine, even wirelessly.

Something to do with memory allocation, 720/60 is the best they can do without impact game performance. Also same for streaming.

Set mine up ok and played a few games which do look a tad dull but I am playing it on a 6 year old 24" iMac. It does say I can change settings under preferences but it is 'greyed out'

I have got my Mac dual booted with Windows 10 so I'm going to try it under windows to if I get the same issue.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom