Firmware Thread - Current ver: 22.01-05.10.00

z5461313

Not sure if anyone else has issue after the system updates it can make any WiFi connections unstable

So the cure is to delete your WiFi connection and then add it again, it should return to a stable state again then

Was really bugging me I was playing cod after the update and the WiFi was jumping around all over the place but deleting the profile and adding it again has made it nice and stable again

SunnyIntervals

I'm using the beta software so I didn't get this update. Beta seems fine though, there is a change to the layout of the Game Hub section where it makes it easier to flick between online friends and parties. Trophies are cosmetically different when you view them. It introduces voice control too, but I turned that off when my console thought I'd asked for something while I was talking to a friend in a chat party.

I still find it odd that when I turn on my PS4 I can immediately see if any friends are online and, under the What's New section, see what they've been up to, but on PS5 there is none of this. I don't understand why Game Hub isn't a tile that shows you who's online, what they're playing and options to join them. On PS5 I have no idea if a friend has started playing something new or has unlocked a trophy, posted a video, etc.

Doctor Hades

Just a warning for those with low space on the internal Console Storage as my PS5 would not turn on last night - it showed the PS logo then a black screen with flashing blue lights - until I booted in Safe mode, installed the firmware update via the internet from the menu which then allowed the PS5 to start normally. I then discovered that the internal storage had 0 bytes of free space which was the reason the console could not start!!! A notification popped up from the previous download as well stating that I needed to free up 1 GB which was for the firmware update at 914 MB so this actually caused the issue.

Previously, I had over 30 GB free on the internal drive which I kept free for the odd 30 minute 4K video recording (which I then upload to YouTube and delete from the console). This space suddenly disappeared and I have had to move yet another game from the Console Storage to the internal 2TB expansion SSD despite not having installed anything on the console storage since September last year! I believe this space is lost in the "Other" partition on the console storage which on my PS5 is around 60 GB (what on earth is this used for?). I feel sorry for anyone using just the console storage because 667 GB, basically just over half a gig, is barely sufficient these days with many first-party games shipping at 100 GB a pop.

The PS5 is badly designed in my opinion. Videos and photos can only be stored on the internal console storage as are game and firmware updates. You cannot record video on the PS5 unless you have at least 30 GB free on the internal console storage and this cannot be allocated to the expansion SSD (why?). And even if you download a PS4 game to an external hard drive or SSD you still need to have sufficient space on the internal SSD to do so otherwise the system complains you need to free up space in the console storage (it downloads everything to the internal storage then copies it to the external drive which is truly bizarre). I do not have these issues with downloads on my Xbox Series X plus moving/copying games occurs in the background whereas on PS5 you have to wait for the operation to complete. Sony really need to start paying attention to the competition in my view. Oh and they can add VRR while they're at it!

Last edited:

SunnyIntervals

The painfully slow data copying is what really bugs me. It doesn't matter how fast your internet is, you can bet your life the copying will take a lot longer. I don't know why Sony employ such an irritating method of updating games. I'm sure Mark Cerny said that "copying" would be a thing of the past on PS5. Hmmmm.

Tolq

Distinguished Member

FevreDream

The latest update also includes one for the Dualsense controller.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
The painfully slow data copying is what really bugs me. It doesn't matter how fast your internet is, you can bet your life the copying will take a lot longer. I don't know why Sony employ such an irritating method of updating games. I'm sure Mark Cerny said that "copying" would be a thing of the past on PS5. Hmmmm.
Agree - he definitely said this, as the copying was part of how PS4 games were compiled with multiple instances of the same assets and they had to be completely recompiled to stream in correctly... PS5 was fast enough to stream the assets on the fly.

I've noticed recently that the "Copying" has become a thing, whereas at launch I didn't see it at all... Maybe it's to do with on board SSD space allocations... I'll have a fiddle.

Tolq

Distinguished Member
A lot of people are commenting on the PS Blog Post that the new update has disabled their PS+ features. :oops:

Anyone here notice anything similar?

Wing80surfer

Some how this update turned on 'instant game response' in my TV (LG CX) settings for the PS5 HDMI port, this resulted in the image becoming incredibly dark with some details hard to see in a bright room. I turned off instant game response on the TV & the image went back to normal. A bit annoying for the console to interfere with TV settings but hey ho, not end of the world.

Wing80surfer

A lot of people are commenting on the PS Blog Post that the new update has disabled their PS+ features. :oops:

Anyone here notice anything similar?
I had a blast on GT7 during lunch break & it wouldn't let me join any daily races, stating an unexpected error has occurred. Don't know if this is related.

SunnyIntervals

Apparently PSN is having problems today, it didn't affect me playing a single play game over lunch.

I've been using the beta firmware, so today is when those beta features have gone live for everyone. I didn't get on with voice control personally, so I turned it off.

Tolq

Distinguished Member
I'm actually not sure that the PS+ issue is related to the firmware. I just tried launching Elden Ring and it was giving me the "Could not verify Playstation Plus Subscription" error - before I ran the PS5 software update.

Same story after the software update, but yeah, I reckon this is a separate PSN issue.

Edit: Seems like a wider PSN issue indeed

-Spike-

Either way I think I'll hold off updating my PS5 for a day or two.

Tolq

Distinguished Member

a l e x

Distinguished Member
This update seems to have deleted my save for Horizon… loaded up a save from 3 days ago. Cloud save had gone too…. Very annoying.

Is it possible to back up saves to an external drive?

Stinja

Distinguished Member
Is it possible to back up saves to an external drive?
You can backup saves to USB on PS4 only, this was removed from PS5.

External SSD/HDD is i believe the all-or-nothing, so again not individual save files.

I might wait a couple days before doing this update... will confirm numbers in System after, but updated first post for now.

TUBBST4R

Just an FYI but two features I inadvertently came across today that possibly dropped during this update are the option to 'keep' game icons on home enabled by pressing the options button on the dualsense whilst on a game icon and selecting 'keep in home'

The 2nd feature is the for in game captures to uploaded to the PS App (mobile) This needs to be enabled within the app which I was prompted to do and the captures only save for 2 weeks.

dante01

Distinguished Member
Just an FYI but two features I inadvertently came across today that possibly dropped during this update are the option to 'keep' game icons on home enabled by pressing the options button on the dualsense whilst on a game icon and selecting 'keep in home'

The 2nd feature is the for in game captures to uploaded to the PS App (mobile) This needs to be enabled within the app which I was prompted to do and the captures only save for 2 weeks.

If the app is on a iOS device though then the images and or videos can be saved to your Apple Photos app and are not then deleted after 2 weeks have passed.

The Photos app even automatically creates a PS App library for the imports from the PS app.

Cha1ky

Distinguished Member
If the app is on a iOS device though then the images and or videos can be saved to your Apple Photos app and are not then deleted after 2 weeks have passed.

The Photos app even automatically creates a PS App library for the imports from the PS app.
You can also save them on Android too.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

PSB Speakers unveils Passif 50 loudspeaker
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Samsung Gaming Hub goes live
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Huawei unveils FreeBuds Pro 2 true wireless earbuds
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sony unveils Inzone gaming brand