Firmware Thread - Current ver: 24.01-08.60.00

It’s only because I have a Philips Hue light on the TV and using the PS5 would have been ideal.

If news on the interwebs are anything to go by, VRR update seems imminent.

If by "imminent" you mean by January 2022 then, yes, it's possible. However, I still think Sony will drag this out and we won't see it this year. They'll want to ensure VRR is supported on all their compatible TVs first, which could take time. They won't want to release the VRR update before then less people go out and, gasp, buy a better TV that has had VRR support for years such as LG and Samsung models!

Update 21.02-04.02.00.02 pushed out, first post updated.

This system software update improves system performance

If by "imminent" you mean by January 2022 then, yes, it's possible. However, I still think Sony will drag this out and we won't see it this year. They'll want to ensure VRR is supported on all their compatible TVs first, which could take time. They won't want to release the VRR update before then less people go out and, gasp, buy a better TV that has had VRR support for years such as LG and Samsung models!

I did use the word 'imminent' in a fairly loosy goosy sense :laugh: a number of articles predict we could have it by/during December, or of course it could be delayed as you think. I'm actually wondering if VRR will make much difference to me & if I will even notice it when it does come out, I don't remember seeing a single instance of screen tearing on the PS5 with LG CX.

I did use the word 'imminent' in a fairly loosy goosy sense :laugh: a number of articles predict we could have it by/during December, or of course it could be delayed as you think. I'm actually wondering if VRR will make much difference to me & if I will even notice it when it does come out, I don't remember seeing a single instance of screen tearing on the PS5 with LG CX.

If you play any Ubisoft games such as the recently released Far Cry 6 (and assuming their games support VRR) then, yes, it will absolutely make a difference because the tearing in that game is extremely prominent and distracting in my experience. I played the game for about 5 hours today and in that time I'd say the game tore for about 3.5 hours of that playtime as it occurs whenever there's any action happening onscreen (combat, explosions, driving, flying especially) and you even get the odd tear while exploring on foot. The game is clearly not optimised for 60 fps at all and uses adaptive v-sync that drops anytime the game dips below 60 fps, even if it's only to 59 or 58 fps!

The PS5 absolutely needs VRR if only to workaround Ubisoft's sheer laziness when it comes to optimising their current gen releases!

Last edited:
If you play any Ubisoft games such as the recently released Far Cry 6 (and assuming their games support VRR) then, yes, it will absolutely make a difference between the tearing in that game is extremely prominent and distracting in my experience. I played the game for about 5 hours today and in that time I'd say the game tore for about 3.5 hours of that playtime as it occurs whenever there's any action happening onscreen (combat, explosions, driving, flying especially) and you even get the odd tear while exploring on foot. The game is clearly not optimised for 60 fps at all and uses adaptive v-sync that drops anytime the game dips below 60 fps, even if it's only to 59 or 58 fps!

The PS5 absolutely needs VRR if only to workaround Ubisoft's sheer laziness when it comes to optimising their current gen releases!
I know I have a few Ubisoft games, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is AC Valhalla & noticed no issues with that at all.

I think Fry cry 6 might have an issue - Digital Foundry reported something about stuttering on PS5 and Xbox but not PC though so not inherent to all version the game. Not saying VRR is not needed just Far Cry might have something up with it

Just had firmware update to 21.02-04.03.00.00-00.00.00.0.1

Hope this fixes the God of War console standby issue.

I'm fed up of PS4 games randomly crashing with the dreaded error CE-108255-1 on the PS5 then the console archiving an error report, which can take upwards of 5 (yes, five!!!) minutes followed by a report from my PS5 that the external SSD storage was removed and needs to be repaired. This happened for me while playing Crysis Remastered over the weekend.

It doesn't happen often but when it does it can be infuriating; not just because of the time it takes before I can use the console again (which is bad enough) but because I always lose a big chunk of progress when it happens. The PS5 is always keen to blame other devices, such as the external drive being removed (no, it wasn't removed!) rather than just its own backward compatibility issues, which I'm almost 100% certain are to blame.

Whether these firmware updates with their "stability" improvements are to fix these is unknown but we seem to get these fairly regularly and they ironically usually pop up a few days after a PS4 game I'd been playing crashed and I had to submit an error report. The last time it happened was while I was playing Kena: Bridge of Spirits (PS5 version) and a stability firmware update popped up the very next week. Could be coincidence though.

It would be nice if one of these firmware updates added VRR support but from what I heard this week from Vincent Teoh of HDTVtest, Sony's implementation of VRR on their own TVs is half-baked at best and unusable at worst as it has various issues and is stupidly limited to 60 Hz. If this is what VRR is going to be like on their own TVs then I really do not hold out much hope for the PS5 implementation being very good either, assuming we ever get VRR. It's been almost a year since the console launched and VRR as well as the 8K support advertised on the box are still AWOL.

Just had firmware update to 21.02-04.03.00.00-00.00.00.0.1

Hope this fixes the God of War console standby issue.
Coolness, updated first post.

Not sure if this one is mandatory, as it didnt seem to force on my PS5?

Coolness, updated first post.

Not sure if this one is mandatory, as it didnt seem to force on my PS5?
I got a pop up that it was downloading when I logged on earlier, I applied it straight away as was hoping it would sort the God of War standby issue, so far I can report it has :D

Weird i got a update notification, it rebooted my PS5, but ver numbers seem the same?
Official changelog not showing an update either.

booted up to find another firmware update. Now running: 21.02-04.50.00.05-00.00.00.0.1

Don’t know what it does but since being installed I keep getting sound dropouts in cyberpunk

My WiFi connection is jumping around all over the place after this firmware update. Had to restart router made it better again

Last edited:
booted up to find another firmware update. Now running: 21.02-04.50.00.05-00.00.00.0.1
Cheers for letting me know, i've been on and not nagged, so maybe it's non-mandatory again?
edit: yep, i'm on previous version, in System it says "update available" but it's not forcing me to do so.

First post updated.

Last edited:
The latest was just another system stability update, although it seems it's made things less stable for some.

Sony sure do take their time adding new features to the PS5. Over a year already and the system still has no support for VRR, just like most of their TV range where they've been promising their owners VRR support via a firmware update since 2020!!!

Can't help but feel that at this point the PS5 will never get VRR or, if it does, it'll be some weird type that only works best on Sony's own TVs because, well, they have to sell those, right? I sincerely hope I am wrong though because I skipped the Xbox Series X because the PS5 had a more appealing games franchises and would support VRR. Now I'm starting to regret not having pre-ordered an Xbox Series X for third party games since that system, like my Xbox One X, has had VRR since launch.

Sony sure do take their time adding new features to the PS5. Over a year already and the system still has no support for VRR, just like most of their TV range where they've been promising their owners VRR support via a firmware update since 2020!!!

Can't help but feel that at this point the PS5 will never get VRR or, if it does, it'll be some weird type that only works best on Sony's own TVs because, well, they have to sell those, right? I sincerely hope I am wrong though because I skipped the Xbox Series X because the PS5 had a more appealing games franchises and would support VRR. Now I'm starting to regret not having pre-ordered an Xbox Series X for third party games since that system, like my Xbox One X, has had VRR since launch.
Do you think you really actually need VRR? IMO the whole point of consoles is that the hardware is the same for millions and millions of devices. The games on consoles are generally well optimised and either run at a locked 30 fps, 60 fps or in this generation, even 120 fps. I've not played one game across PS3, PS4 or PS5 where I've noticed any frame issues and thought damn I could have really used VRR here. Literally not once. So out of interest, is it something you genuinely need, or is it more something that you want because you know it is a 'thing' and/or maybe have some FOMO because Xbox has it?

Do you think you really actually need VRR? IMO the whole point of consoles is that the hardware is the same for millions and millions of devices. The games on consoles are generally well optimised and either run at a locked 30 fps, 60 fps or in this generation, even 120 fps. I've not played one game across PS3, PS4 or PS5 where I've noticed any frame issues and thought damn I could have really used VRR here. Literally not once. So out of interest, is it something you genuinely need, or is it more something that you want because you know it is a 'thing' and/or maybe have some FOMO because Xbox has it?
For me I think it's probably FOMO. I play my PS5 on a great TV & have noticed no issues at all. Suppose I just want VRR to be released so I can see if it further improves the experience at all i.e. I want it so I can decide if I care about it or not :laugh:

I don’t even have VRR turned on with my Series X, I don’t play any games where it’s worth playing the 120 fps mode over the 60 fps mode, I’d rather have 60 with higher resolution and other settings.

But to be honest I don’t really care if the frame rate is bouncing around, so long as it’s not bouncing down from 60 to 30 which it never does then I’m good. DF bang on about VRR being essential to stop a game going from 120 to 108 to 120 to 102, meaningless for me. I’ve played my PC games at uncapped, unlocked frame rates for years they constantly bounce from 80 to 70 to 90 to 60 and I can only tell it’s doing it by the little counter Game Bar puts up on screen.

I don't like screen tearing at all and, unfortunately, on PS5 and Xbox Series X there are still publishers out there that release games with this issue like cough*UbiSoft*cough so that is really the main reason why I want, no, need VRR support for PS5 games. I find screen tearing massively distracting to the point where it breaks immersion and takes me out of the game such as in the recent Far Cry 6, which has very severe bouts of tearing.

The second reason as as a fallback for when v-synced games, which don't have screen tearing, drop frames, say, when they dip below 60 fps as can happen even in the most optimised games. This then makes the game feel momentarily stuttery or juddery before it returns back to 60 fps and feels smooth again. VRR can fix this issue.

So VRR is definitely a very good thing to have in my opinion.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom