Firmware Thread - Current ver: 24.01-08.60.00

The update has taken away the ‘resume activity’ function 😡
From game hub you used to be able to press square to pick up from where you left off, without having to go through the load menus etc

New system update available. Vers: 21.01-03.21.00

System performance!

First post updated with all the exciting details.

The next system update goes live tomorrow. This is the biggest update since launch with numerous new features, including the much needed ability to upgrade internal storage expansion.

Last edited:
but still no VRR or ALLM !!! everyone keeps saying winter!

but still no VRR or ALLM !!! everyone keeps saying winter!

Isn’t there a major HDMI protocol change planned for the end of the year, Sony waiting for this before implementing it on PS5 and, of course, their TVs.

So with the new firmware landing tomorrow is it time to get a additional HDD. And what’s the best one to get?

So with the new firmware landing tomorrow is it time to get a additional HDD. And what’s the best one to get?
I'd like to know this too 😀

So I’d be good with this one ?

Attachments

• 0002538A-1C4A-4007-8AFC-239CA3D9D56C.png
    0002538A-1C4A-4007-8AFC-239CA3D9D56C.png
    424.7 KB · Views: 109
So I’d be good with this one ?
Yeah, that's the one I'm thinking of getting. Bear in mind you also need to buy a heatsink to put it in. The same ssd is a few £ more in the link up above from Scan but comes with a free heatsink. No good for me though as they charge silly money to deliver to Northern Ireland

Fair play, I'm loving how fast the PS5 installs updates vs my OG PS4. I think in total it took no more than about 90 secs.

Im collecting a PS5 from Game this week, for my sons Xmas present.
Should I wait until nearer Xmas before unboxing and updating it, prior to him opening it Xmas Day?
Or, are updates that fast now that he can do it himself on Xmas Day?

Should I wait until nearer Xmas before unboxing and updating it, prior to him opening it Xmas Day?
I would say depends on you lads age and usage of the PS5. If he's older and would appreciate doing all the set up himself, then leave it fresh. But if he's younger and/or you're using the PS5 too, then do it in advance, its not just the updates that take the time, you have to set up accounts, internet, system settings, etc too and while it doesn't take ages, it can be a faff for a Christmas morning.

I find system software updates and the initial setup quite fast. Installing games can still take a while though depending on your internet speed. I'd be tempted to setup & get some games installed ready, especially if your son is quite young.

Ssd fitted! Pretty simple, getting the panel off was the tricky bit but there's enough videos out there to assist!

Can't wait to get home at 5:15pm and finally be able to install the 2 TB WD SN850 SSD I've had for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I was really annoyed that I never got a beta invite, despite dozens and dozens of registrations, but I guess that doesn't matter now.

Is the panel easy to take off the PS5 as I've never had any reason to remove mine until now? I understand that you need to first remove the base then lift the panel up by the top-right corner and at the same time slide it down slowly and gently to avoid scratching the interior plastic. Is that right?

Already made a note to remove the disc then use the safe remove option for the external SSD and then finally shutdown the PS5 (as opposed to putting in Rest mode as I usually do). If I didn't do that then I know I would have forgotten one or more of them in the excitement to install the new SSD!

Installed the update a bit earlier. I enabled 3D audio through the TV speakers and, although I haven’t tried a game, you can definitely notice a difference in sound with dashboard music. Seems a louder and fuller sound somehow.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom