Firmware Thread - Current ver: 24.01-08.60.00

Can't wait to get home at 5:15pm and finally be able to install the 2 TB WD SN850 SSD I've had for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I was really annoyed that I never got a beta invite, despite dozens and dozens of registrations, but I guess that doesn't matter now.

Is the panel easy to take off the PS5 as I've never had any reason to remove mine until now? I understand that you need to first remove the base then lift the panel up by the top-right corner and at the same time slide it down slowly and gently to avoid scratching the interior plastic. Is that right?

Already made a note to remove the disc then use the safe remove option for the external SSD and then finally shutdown the PS5 (as opposed to putting in Rest mode as I usually do). If I didn't do that then I know I would have forgotten one or more of them in the excitement to install the new SSD!

I’ve always found taking the covers off easy enough. Just lift the top right corner and slide it down, as you said. I take them off regularly to clean inside. It’s surprising how much dust collects underneath.

Last edited:
I would say depends on you lads age and usage of the PS5. If he's older and would appreciate doing all the set up himself, then leave it fresh. But if he's younger and/or you're using the PS5 too, then do it in advance, its not just the updates that take the time, you have to set up accounts, internet, system settings, etc too and while it doesn't take ages, it can be a faff for a Christmas morning.

I find system software updates and the initial setup quite fast. Installing games can still take a while though depending on your internet speed. I'd be tempted to setup & get some games installed ready, especially if your son is quite young.

Thanks. He's 14 and more capable than me, so I'll perhaps leave him to it on the day. The PS5 comes with Spiderman game, but I'll let him install that too. Wont do him any harm to have to wait, as opposed to the instant gratification that youngsters demand these days. I was happy with a hoop and a stick!!

Last edited:
Does this latest firmware have the audio equaliser for the Pulse 3d headset included?

I just ordered the 1TB WD SN850 from amazon with the pay over 5 month option, as been expensive few months. Just need to order a heat sink? Any recommendations? Also do you leave the sticker on the SSD? As there seems to be conflicting statements; some say leave on as it spreads heat (and voids warranty) others say remove it to allow direct contact with thermal pad.

Im collecting a PS5 from Game this week, for my sons Xmas present.
Should I wait until nearer Xmas before unboxing and updating it, prior to him opening it Xmas Day?
Or, are updates that fast now that he can do it himself on Xmas Day?
If your careful enough, unpack it very gingerly, play on it for a while then put it back as you found it.

I did this to my son many xmases ago when the first Xbox came out.
He was none the wiser and everyone's a winner.
:)

3D audio engaged for one race of Wreckfest and immediately disabled.

Utter garbage. Just pay Dolby already Sony.

All sense of direction is lost. It's like a faux surround setting you find on TVs and piss poor it is too.

just ordered this heat sink below, as getting hard to find compatible ones, they seem to be selling out whilst looking and having to wait for new stock.

Amazon product ASIN B08G81YRZT

It's not down to the game, is it. This 3D nonsense is Sony's own attempt at Atmos as it won't pay Dolby for it and as I feared, utter garbage.
Have you tried any other games? Would be interesting to hear a comparison between Sony's 3D audio and Dolby Headphone.

Must admit I'm impressed with it working in Resident Evil Village.

It IS down to the game, Ghost of Tsushima supports it, but I doubt Wrekfest does. It is recommended to only use 3D audio with a game that supports it, which is a bit of a pain and I wonder why they didn't put the 3D audio switch into the home bar, so you can get it without going through the settings menu.

I'm not likely to use it on my tv speakers as I have a surround set up, but I'll give it a go with GoT

I'm not likely to use it on my tv speakers as I have a surround set up, but I'll give it a go with GoT
I tried it on my headphones with GoT but still preferred the sound through my surround sound setup.

It's not down to the game, is it. This 3D nonsense is Sony's own attempt at Atmos as it won't pay Dolby for it and as I feared, utter garbage.
It is down to the game - if the game hasn't been coded to allow for it, you'll generally find the audio sounds poor. Warzone with 3d Audio on sound dull/muffled and generally awful. If the game supports 3d audio it sounds pretty decent to me - something like Ratchet & Clank shows what is possible.

Sony's solution just isn't as all encompassing as Xbox but with the right game it can still sound realy good.

It is down to the game - if the game hasn't been coded to allow for it, you'll generally find the audio sounds poor. Warzone with 3d Audio on sound dull/muffled and generally awful. If the game supports 3d audio it sounds pretty decent to me - something like Ratchet & Clank shows what is possible.

Sony's solution just isn't as all encompassing as Xbox but with the right game it can still sound realy good.
If true, that's a ridiculous implementation on Sony's part, which is what I feared in the first place. Who is going to take the time to find out which games utlisise 3D audio and which don't?!

Nobody is going to delve in and out of the settings to enable and disable it. I'm certainly not. I see no reason to ever go back to it.

Bloody stupid, just like Sony's implementation of DV via their UHD players.

If true, that's a ridiculous implementation on Sony's part, which is what I feared in the first place. Who is going to take the time to find out which games utlisise 3D audio and which don't?!

Nobody is going to delve in and out of the settings to enable and disable it. I'm certainly not. I see no reason to ever go back to it.

I don't disagree with you - the number of times I've started Warzone only them remember 3d audio was still on and having to go back to reset it.

I would at least have expected a quick toggle from the sound options in the Control Center to make it easier.

I don't disagree with you - the number of times I've started Warzone only them remember 3d audio was still on and having to go back to reset it.

I would at least have expected a quick toggle from the sound options in the Control Center to make it easier.
I'm just venting, sorry.

It was the only update I've been looking forward to and it's as I feared, clumsy at best. I wish Sony would just pay for the Atmos licensing. 1-0 to egg box

Yeah, that's the one I'm thinking of getting. Bear in mind you also need to buy a heatsink to put it in. The same ssd is a few £ more in the link up above from Scan but comes with a free heatsink. No good for me though as they charge silly money to deliver to Northern Ireland
Does that one come with a heat sink?

The only games that support 3D audio so far are:

Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Spiderman: Miles Morales
Resident Evil Village
Astro’s Playroom
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank
Demon’ Souls
Destruction All Stars

Basically most of the PS5 exclusives and RE:8.

I'm just venting, sorry.

It was the only update I've been looking forward to and it's as I feared, clumsy at best. I wish Sony would just pay for the Atmos licensing. 1-0 to egg box
Not too many games on Xbox/PC actually support proper Atmos sound anyway, the following list (as per PocketLink.com) are the games which 'do Atmos':

The current list of Dolby Atmos compatible games includes:

The list of games supporting Atmos is longer than the list of PS4 & PS5 games which support 3D Audio, but you can count on at least all first party PS5 games going forwards utilising the 3D Audio.

Otherwise, for games on PS5 which don't utilise 3D Audio, what is wrong with falling back onto 5.1/7.1 LPCM, DTS or DD and then, if using an AVR (I think you are right?) using one of the Dolby Atmos/DTS:X upscaling techniques?

Personally I use the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless headset. For all games on PS5 I can use 5.1 Dolby Digital to the transmitter box to get virtual 7.1 (or even virtual DTS:X) sound via the DTS Headphone:X 2.0 tech. For PS5 games which utilise 3D Audio I can change the mode on the headset box to use direct USB audio and then use the Tempest Engine 3D Audio for those games.

I agree that, just like they added the option to only activate HDR for HDR enabled games/conent, I think that they should implement the ability for 3D Audio to only be enabled for games which have made use of it.

Not too many games on Xbox/PC actually support proper Atmos sound anyway, the following list (as per PocketLink.com) are the games which 'do Atmos':

The current list of Dolby Atmos compatible games includes:

The list of games supporting Atmos is longer than the list of PS4 & PS5 games which support 3D Audio, but you can count on at least all first party PS5 games going forwards utilising the 3D Audio.

Otherwise, for games on PS5 which don't utilise 3D Audio, what is wrong with falling back onto 5.1/7.1 LPCM, DTS or DD and then, if using an AVR (I think you are right?) using one of the Dolby Atmos/DTS:X upscaling techniques?

Personally I use the SteelSeries Arctis Pro Wireless headset. For all games on PS5 I can use 5.1 Dolby Digital to the transmitter box to get virtual 7.1 (or even virtual DTS:X) sound via the DTS Headphone:X 2.0 tech. For PS5 games which utilise 3D Audio I can change the mode on the headset box to use direct USB audio and then use the Tempest Engine 3D Audio for those games.

I agree that, just like they added the option to only activate HDR for HDR enabled games/conent, I think that they should implement the ability for 3D Audio to only be enabled for games which have made use of it.
Yer, I've completely lost interest in 3D audio now. I always had reservations about it.

As you've mentioned, I'll stick with LPCM.

I love the PlayStation for its exclusives but, like the idea of playing a game in DV with Atmos (who wouldn't). Forza alone isn't enough for me to justify buying an X-Box.

Yer, I've completely lost interest in 3D audio now. I always had reservations about it.

As you've mentioned, I'll stick with LPCM.

I love the PlayStation for its exclusives but, like the idea of playing a game in DV with Atmos (who wouldn't). Forza alone isn't enough for me to justify buying an X-Box.
Have you tried the 3D Audio via a pair of headphones connected to the controller or a USB headset connected directly to the console with a game that actually supports 3D Audio? The built-in PS5 game Astro's Playroom makes very good use of it. Also the newly released 3D Audio for TV's is meant to be used for TV speakers rather than AVR's. 3D Audio for AVR's is what will be coming next, but again, even when that is released, it will be best used probably only with games which have dedicated implementations of 3D Audio.

Personally, I feel this is exactly the same as the situation on Xbox where you are reliant on the game develope specifically coding an implementation for Dolby Atmos. Would you agree?

3D Audio has been great via the headphones when I've used it. Not really interested in using the TV speakers whatsoever TBH, not sure anyone after a good audio experience would either. TV speakers are dreadful!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom